Lt. Commander
# 11 Still good to see something
05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
For a game that's not supposed to be in the same universe as the movie they sure do talk a lot about it in this one . JJ, were you asking the questions by any chance?
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Even though there was not too much new information about the game itself revealed, this article was a great read for me personally since I enjoyed the new film so much and I think it is interesting to see what other people thought of the "re-imagining" of so much of the Star Trek universe. It was nice to see that Craig shared a lot of the same opinions as I did as well -- I would love to see Keenser in the game in one form or another, for example.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Ten Ton Hammer: With all the renewed interest in the IP, there’s bound to be dozens if not hundreds of variants on prominent character names running around in STO come launch day – you know, Sporks and Quirks (I call dibs on Kirque de Soleil) – will there be any character naming policies in place to keep this kind of thing to a minimum?

Craig: Sure – we’ll have name filtering so you don’t see 120,000 U.S.S Enterprises around, and we’ll probably put in some variants as well (although Kirque de Soleil is awesome). But we don’t want to be overly draconian with name filtering.

To me, part of the excitement about building a roleplaying universe is giving players freedom to come up with things that we could never have imagined. It’s not about closing doors, limiting options and policing what people name their characters.
Craig you get it and I love you and Cryptic for it. You had me at "we don't want to be overly draconian".

I know you all have a hard road a head of you, as there is something about the Trekkie community (a minority I'm sure) that seems to believe limiting peoples freedom (in all sorts of ways) is the key to fun, but they don't seem to realize that at some point it will infringe on their fun.

I don't post much anymore for various reasons, but it is good to see you all still get it.
Lt. Commander
# 14 Sweet!
05-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Good stuff!

This is an AMAZING new start for a entirely new generation of Star Trek and people wanting to be fans. I've already watched the film 4 times, once at the IMAX and can't wait for the Blue Ray release! I have this uncontrollable desire to see it in high definition.

The score was driving and the balance in character the entire crew shared was amazingly well directed and produced. The actors did a near perfect job and the ship combat was everything I would love to see more of!! I really hope there is some movie dynamic feel to this game.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the movie as it took the idea of Star Trek and intensified it, where it should have been all along!
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Eventhough it had proven usefull to use common names like Lt. Hawk. Me also would be interested on that alien on the bridge which were in The Animated Series.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
verry excited if they come out with a sequal or something.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
It's interesting. Nice sidestepping by Craig... the ol' "We saw the movie and think it's awesome but our game takes place in a whole other universe where most things are different but it's still awesome" line! =)
Glad I wasn't the only one who picked up on that
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-26-2009, 10:09 PM
I was mildly critical of STO's design team recently for not seeming to appreciate the importance of the ship as a character. In particular, I think a significant element of Star Trek is lost by not supporting the concept of "characters" being able to interact with each other and the ship so that they all become memorable.

So when I read this from Craig:

Quote:
The crew is such an important and central part of what Star Trek is about; the way that a Captain meets his or her crew, the way they’re selected and how they interact is essential to the Trek feel. We want to make sure that players in Star Trek Online get to be part of the history of building their crews. They should remember where they met their science officer or when and how their best tactical officer joined the crew. All of these things allow players to build a connection to their crews in the gaming world.
I get a little more positive about what it seems Star Trek Online may be.

It's still not players working together on one ship. And I will have to wait and see just how well the designers and programmers and animators and writers of STO are able to bring mere NPCs to life as characters -- with histories and interests and weaknesses and distinct personalities -- whom we can care about.

But if this can be accomplished, it will go a considerable distance to addressing my concerns that the gameplay of STO contributes to creating the "Star Trek feel." Craig's comments to TTH help a lot here, and I wanted to say thanks for restoring a little of my faith.

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Nice interview but not much new info...
Could you tell us something about gameplay and/or UI?
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardog00 View Post
I agree that there should be Name Filtering for Ships ( 1 ship by each name) ..They should also not let main Trek Characters names to be recycled. Everything else is all good.

Keenser was the little reptilian found with Scotty.
Considering Champions does not have 1 name per server BS going on, I have high hopes that STO follow suit and allow multiple of the same names. Iconic ship/crew are the exception of course .

I always thought Keenser looked like a walnut.