Lt. Commander
# 1 BO Rarity Suggestion
03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Hey. I was in STO last night and I have quite a few BO's in my pool to choose from. Every time I get a new one, I just click "Not Now" so they go into the pool of Bridge Officers. Looking at them, some are blue, some are purple, some are green. If I hover over them, though, the full list of their abilities appears... but I couldn't tell what Exactly made them the rarity they were.

In order to figure it out, I had to head over to the BO Skill Trainer, and then compare, skill by skill, until I found the skill that seperated the BO apart from the rest. The skill that isn't obtainable from the trainer. And sometimes, it was just ground passive skills... but this was very time consuming.

Is it possible to implement something in the tooltip so that, just by hovering over, we can tell what abilities make the BO's the rarity they are?

- A very satisfied lifetime player
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Actually, the skills aren't really so important in defining an officer's rarity - it's their traits, and the quality of said traits, that counts.

Looking at their stats, you might notice things like 'Basic ______', or 'Superior ______' - these are their traits. Obviously, 'superior' versions of traits are better than regular traits, which are better again than the 'basic' versions - what differentiates a BOff's rarity is the balance of 'basic' to 'superior' traits. It works out like so:

Common: 2 Basic Traits, 2 Others
Uncommon: 1 Basic, 3 Others
Rare: 1 Superior, 3 Others
Very Rare: 2 Superior, 2 Others

In other words, the innate stats of a Very Rare officer are going to be much better than those of a Common one, although trainable skills are dependant on skill point allocation.

Also, if you want to sell a BOff on the exchange, it's worth noting that while you can set whatever price in credits you want, each rarity has a different value in Starfleet Merits:

Common: 100 Merits
Uncommon: 300 Merits
Rare: 600 Merits
Very Rare: 1200 Merits

Hope that helps! If you need any more info, stowiki.org is a really useful resource for this sort of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Ahhh... so basically rarity isn't based around abilities at all, but based around traits? So, checking through my list, for example, I found that a few of the officers on my list have the skill Viral Matrix III, which can't be trained at the skill trainer. So the fact they have this ability standard is NOT what is making them rare. As my post above indicates, I thought it was.

Thank you very much for the assistance!