Lt. Commander
# 1 Romulan Weekly Series
03-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Though I have already seen many posts regarding this series, I wanted to pass on my thoughts as this is by far the best one thus far. My reasons for this statement are as follows:
  • The graphics for every map are nothing short of spectacular, the best I've seen for anything in the game to date.
  • I could relate to the protagonist far better than I could the Breen and Devidians considering the Romulans are a major player in the game already, being one of the primary enemies for the Commander Rank (Fed). The Breen made no appearance in the game prior to their entry in a weekly episode and the Deevidians made only a brief appearance in the game prior to their series).
  • Basing the story line off of a pre-existing game story line fired my imagination, being easier to relate to and follow than with the previous weekly series. Plus you picked the story I hoped you would to expand upon.
  • The episodes themselves were fresh in composition containing a wonderful play dynamic. I never knew what to expect both within each episode, as well as from one episode to the next...the cut scenes, the puzzles, the new and unique ground combat scenarios, the animal enemies, the Romulans themselves, the allies, the integration of shuttles, the class specific objectives...the list goes on and on.
  • This is the best part of all...for all intents and purposes, we now have an entirely new Romulan faction in the game...new AI, new NPC classes, new skills and weapons...in short, the spillover from the series to the game enhances the gaming experience for me.
In short, I have fallen in love with what you have done here for both the weekly series concept and the game.

There are a couple of issues, but I consider them only moderate in their game impact:
  • The Tholoron Mineused by the higher level NPC's is essentially a one shot, one kill attack. Took me awhile to notice the green ring pulsing around me that signaled it's use. Just the same, in an intense fight, it is a bit easy to miss, guaranteeing a rapid death from above.
  • The Kangaroo, steroid enhanced jumps Romulans make when in trouble health wise. I watched one NPC after another jump 50 feet or more upward to a walkway above or over a wall. That's a bit off base.

Again...very nicely done...the best to date. It is my hope that the next series will be Machi / Cardassian based. It would be a wonderful thing to rejuvenate the Cardassians as you have done with the Romulans. If not Machi involvement, then a story line picking up on the Orb episode story line that left me wanting.

Thanks again and best wishes.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
you know, the thalaron ground attack is tied to a deployable, if you can destroy the device you can stop the radiation from killing you. The space based attack is a little trickier, but with a little luck, you can survive that too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
you know, the thalaron ground attack is tied to a deployable, if you can destroy the device you can stop the radiation from killing you. The space based attack is a little trickier, but with a little luck, you can survive that too.
I only just noticed that. I've corrected my original post to reflect that.