Lt. Commander
# 1 Move to a console based system
03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Devs,

I think the idea of giving a special ability via console is a great idea. I have read that you are planning to use this more often. Just about every special ability would fit right into this model, but I think we can make greater use of it. Several of the ships in game are in there multiple times. We have 3 different versions of the Galaxy class, two different versions of the intrepid, excelsior, and the defiant. This can get overwhelming on both the development team and the user side.

Why not move to a master console system. For example, make a new console slot at the top named "Computer Core" this would be the master console slot that would determine the weapon slots, console slots, BO slots, and all of the rest of the stats for the entire ship. This would give people what they want and make ships highly configurable. I'd still keep the same progression of ships though...the're not going to be handing out Sovereign class star ships to lowly idiot Lieutenant's.

So for example, say you level up from Lt to Lt. Cmdr, you can take your ship with you... just go pickup a shinny new Mk VI computer core that you have just been authorized to use. You can make refits another console slot or combine it with the computer core. Have a regular Defiant VA1 core and a purple refit core.

Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
You know I was driving home thinking along these same lines. I was thinking if I can get a console that is set to a specific type of ship what else is possible? And you have brought up a facinating idea. I do like the Computer Core ship "console" idea.

The upgrade concerns me though. I was thinking what if I got a console that offered 2 console slots in it's place? Essentially upgrading console slots. You could make them unique by type (tac sci eng) and only available to certain types of ships.

So if I had one of each on my TOS Connie then it would have 3 eng 2 tac and sci consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2011, 08:28 PM
This idea does have definite potential. Especially if it can be tied into the crafting system so people can do more customization of their ships.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Id like to have the T5 galaxy retrofit have its ability removed add a tac console slot and make a saucer seperation console instead. I much rather have the extra tac console then the seperation, then we atleast have a choice on if we use it or not. Could redo the other ships same way. Galaxy X might be a diff situation tho since it has cloak and lance, but if you make that a single console that gave 2 abilities and gave it a tac console which is what i believe its missing it might work.

Be nice if all the ships were redone in the console/slot fashion.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2011, 09:27 PM
an interesting idea, to say the least, and it definately has potential
but since working this idea into the current system would take a complete overhaul (which would take forever, to us at least), it should be tied to crafting, which is actually worth it now
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2011, 05:36 AM
I'm sorry, but I personally do not like the way the system is heading, especially if the console power is restricted to just one or two ships.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2011, 06:29 AM
I don't like the Idea of console based upgrades that can be used with any ship. It doesn't make sense for a Galaxy to have MVAM. The next thing we will see is an Olympic with a cloaking device.

I would rather see craftable upgrades that are inline with the ships class. IE better deflectors or sensors for Science vessels, while Cruisers get better shield generators.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUL_EVEK
I don't like the Idea of console based upgrades that can be used with any ship. It doesn't make sense for a Galaxy to have MVAM. The next thing we will see is an Olympic with a cloaking device.

I would rather see craftable upgrades that are inline with the ships class. IE better deflectors or sensors for Science vessels, while Cruisers get better shield generators.
I don't think the OP means that. What he is describing is really just a way to avoid creating more and more one off variants and letting players keep their favorite ship as they level up.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglcny View Post
Devs,

I think the idea of giving a special ability via console is a great idea. I have read that you are planning to use this more often. Just about every special ability would fit right into this model, but I think we can make greater use of it. Several of the ships in game are in there multiple times. We have 3 different versions of the Galaxy class, two different versions of the intrepid, excelsior, and the defiant. This can get overwhelming on both the development team and the user side.

Why not move to a master console system. For example, make a new console slot at the top named "Computer Core" this would be the master console slot that would determine the weapon slots, console slots, BO slots, and all of the rest of the stats for the entire ship. This would give people what they want and make ships highly configurable. I'd still keep the same progression of ships though...the're not going to be handing out Sovereign class star ships to lowly idiot Lieutenant's.

So for example, say you level up from Lt to Lt. Cmdr, you can take your ship with you... just go pickup a shinny new Mk VI computer core that you have just been authorized to use. You can make refits another console slot or combine it with the computer core. Have a regular Defiant VA1 core and a purple refit core.

Just a thought.
This might take some doing...It would certainly eliminate the need to have to introduce VA refits of lower level ships...Although it would be a massive thing to implement....it might take the devs a load of time to make it happen...but I think it might a be a better alternative to introducing VA refits of lower level ships...but I think there ought to be some kind of limitation to it...
The core can be used on all ships but it will only add up to a certain number of weapon slots, or certain type of BO slots based either off of your ship class or the class your captain is....That would make it more interesting...
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKeith2011
I don't think the OP means that. What he is describing is really just a way to avoid creating more and more one off variants and letting players keep their favorite ship as they level up.
I'm all for being able to level up a tier 2 ship to tier 5 level. My favorite science vessel was the tier 2 Nova.

I just don't want to see ships like the defiant refit loose the thing that makes them special, because any ship could be upgraded to have a cloak.