Lt. Commander
# 1 Silenced
03-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Ok, I dunno where this is supposed to go, but someone just "silenced" me in ESD chat zone for "spam." I made a Charlie Sheen toon just for fun, and for the past couple hours, I've been playin' the part and everyone's been having a laugh. Then this silence thing happens. Right now:

People are doing fleet recruiting.
Some guy was talking about assimilating a 17yr old borg with his tool <--- he used a other word.
And there's just the ton of weird convo that often takes place there.

Suddenly, I'm "silenced" right before I'm about to change my toon to one I use for a PVP match. But what's the point of being on a team since NONE of my toons can communicate for over 23 hours now? Because someone either accidently or deliberately hit the "report spam" button?

In the year and 3 weeks I've been on this game, I had no idea the "spam" button did that. WTF Cryptic? C'mon, you're really gonna hand power like that to players instead of having it alert a GM so an actual person can sort out what's going on?

Lt. Commander
# 2
03-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Besides the fact that you may have been having some fun that some may find tasteless, crude and/or offensive. I wonder if part of it is if you used Charlie Sheen's name when making the character? Not sure if you did but thought it a possibility. Who knows if a player reported it or maybe a GM did it because they felt it in bad taste. All I know is I cant log in to play because there are so many people online and apparently Cryptic cant handle the server load. If I had been, I may have found your joke offensive or funny depending how you played it but either way. It would have been nice to at least made it to ESD or any zone when I log in.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
Ok, I dunno where this is supposed to go, but someone just "silenced" me in ESD chat zone for "spam." I made a Charlie Sheen toon just for fun, and for the past couple hours, I've been playin' the part and everyone's been having a laugh. Then this silence thing happens. Right now:

People are doing fleet recruiting.
Some guy was talking about assimilating a 17yr old borg with his tool <--- he used a other word.
And there's just the ton of weird convo that often takes place there.

Suddenly, I'm "silenced" right before I'm about to change my toon to one I use for a PVP match. But what's the point of being on a team since NONE of my toons can communicate for over 23 hours now? Because someone either accidently or deliberately hit the "report spam" button?

In the year and 3 weeks I've been on this game, I had no idea the "spam" button did that. WTF Cryptic? C'mon, you're really gonna hand power like that to players instead of having it alert a GM so an actual person can sort out what's going on?

I rather doubt it was a Player that actually physically silenced you...Did ya try to contact a GM to see if maybe several players reported you??

And did ya check yer email to see if ya got an infraction notice??
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
You got chat blocked? Damn, I enjoyed your shenanigans before I logged out for the night. Gave me a good laugh to end my session. I even changed to your instance to take a look at how you made STO Charlie look.

That sucks.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2011, 09:20 PM
i would file a ticket to dispute it. assuming the situation is disputable. talking about it on the forums is likely just going to get it locked, and possibly cause you more grief. if it were me in your place, i know i wouldnt be happy in that situation. you may want to edit your post. in any case GM ticket, definitely. hope that helps
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
DaveyNY - I agree it sounds more like a few reported him. Love your sig line! I have that same dream!!!! DStahl, we need more space! And I dont want to wait till Christmas!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Yup, this is how the report spam function has worked pretty much from the start. It's there so gold seller bots can be quickly squelched so players can enjoy a "peaceful" atmosphere without having to make a GM manually do it... It's still counted as reporting someone so the GM can then come along later and take any appropriate action against the account.

It does take a number of players to report you before the silence kicks in so you must have offended enough of them to report you... tbh, while I would have taken you pretending to be Mr Sheen in the spirit of fun, there does come a point where the joke wears thin... such as if you were doing something silly like saying "winning!" over and over in zone chat, in that situation I would probably have done the same.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naynayz View Post
DaveyNY - I agree it sounds more like a few reported him. Love your sig line! I have that same dream!!!! DStahl, we need more space! And I dont want to wait till Christmas!

From Our Dreams to his Ears..., and on to His... Things To Do RIGHT AWAY List
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphenoix
Yup, this is how the report spam function has worked pretty much from the start. It's there so gold seller bots can be quickly squelched so players can enjoy a "peaceful" atmosphere without having to make a GM manually do it... It's still counted as reporting someone so the GM can then come along later and take any appropriate action against the account.

It does take a number of players to report you before the silence kicks in so you must have offended enough of them to report you... tbh, while I would have taken you pretending to be Mr Sheen in the spirit of fun, there does come a point where the joke wears thin... such as if you were doing something silly like saying "winning!" over and over in zone chat, in that situation I would probably have done the same.
In addition, it has been said multiple times by people with gold names that abuse of this report function can come back to bite the reporters... so if you were 'silenced' for no reason, the people who reported you would, potentially, be dinged.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
In addition, it has been said multiple times by people with gold names that abuse of this report function can come back to bite the reporters... so if you were 'silenced' for no reason, the people who reported you would, potentially, be dinged.
I'm not sure reporting somebody who's acting like Charlie Sheen, would ba a No Reason Offense.

Just Sayin'...
Closed Thread