Lt. Commander
# 1 Replacing the 'Emblem' system
03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
There's been a lot of discussion about the pricing of ships via emblems. Some say 500 is too many, some think it's not. My problem isn't the price. It's the 'daily' grind. So I was thinking... why not replace it.

My idea is a 'Merit' system. Say for every mission you complete you gain 1 merit. You could only get merits for a mission the first time you complete it, not for replays. Maybe you could get 2 for fleet actions, but only once every 24 hours as there are several fleet actions. (This might actually get Klingons in their fleet actions.) 5 for STFs?

By the time you got to the rank to use the refits you'd have some merits saved and wouldn't have to spend as much time grinding dailies. Spend your 500 merits get your ship... for that character. Want to unlock it for all your characters? Buy it. This keeps the c-store in business and lets you earn your ship like you should... with your reputation as a good Captain.

I don't know how many quests are in the game so prices or how many & which missions give merits would need tweaking.

Then if we could just fail missions we could have a de-merit system too.

(You could keep the emblems... I just automatically thought Merit because it sounds more military.)
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllus View Post
There's been a lot of discussion about the pricing of ships via emblems. Some say 500 is too many, some think it's not. My problem isn't the price. It's the 'daily' grind. So I was thinking... why not replace it.

My idea is a 'Merit' system. Say for every mission you complete you gain 1 merit. You could only get merits for a mission the first time you complete it, not for replays. Maybe you could get 2 for fleet actions, but only once every 24 hours as there are several fleet actions. (This might actually get Klingons in their fleet actions.) 5 for STFs?

By the time you got to the rank to use the refits you'd have some merits saved and wouldn't have to spend as much time grinding dailies. Spend your 500 merits get your ship... for that character. Want to unlock it for all your characters? Buy it. This keeps the c-store in business and lets you earn your ship like you should... with your reputation as a good Captain.

I don't know how many quests are in the game so prices or how many & which missions give merits would need tweaking.

Then if we could just fail missions we could have a de-merit system too.

(You could keep the emblems... I just automatically thought Merit because it sounds more military.)
I believe a mission on average takes about one hour. I play about one mission a day so 500 mission points will take about 500 days or more than a year

This could work but prices need to come down. Maybe 50 mission points for a end of game ship.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Well the idea wasn't to make it so you'd have 1000's of Merits, just that you'd have a bit of a start on the grind. This idea lets you work on getting Merits while you're leveling. Lowering, a bit, the amount of time it will take you to grind the total you would need for a refit or tier 5-6 ship.

As for the time; You're going to be doing missions anyway, this just gives you the ability to start earning your ship as soon as your start playing. (I see it as building your Rep. in SF as you level.) You would likely have many more Merits to earn when you hit Admiral, so the dailies still serve a purpose. You just wouldn't have to run the Deferi missions and B'tran 'exploration' as much.

It's just an idea to lessen the pain that some of us feel doing the same missions over and over and over. You'd still have to do it... just not as much. It gives the player a sense of accomplishment without wearing them down on dailies, keeps the c-store viable (because you'd still have to grind dailies and a lot of people won't do that. They want new shinies now. Like me, I buy the ships I want because I dislike running the same missions over and over just for Emblems.) This idea isn't to totally eliminate the grind. (You have to have something to do besides STFs at higher levels.)

Not saying it's a perfect idea, and I have no clue how difficult making a change like this would be but I, personally, like any idea that lessens my time in B'tran.