Lt. Commander
# 21
03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
That was fun to watch as always. She'll be headed up here to DC as part of the Air and Space annex display near Dulles aiport to replace Enterprise eventually.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Welcome & Farewell Discovery!!
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
No to get off-topic here, but this all ind of reminds me of one of the "Lost Years" books they put out for Star Trek awhile back. The story was set while Enterprise was being refit and rebuilt into the movie Enterprise and during the story, the nearly reconstrcuted Saucer section was stolen (from the Earth's surface no less) and the crew of the Enterprise had to "borrow" the Space Shuttle Entprise to go chase it down. It seems in the future, The Space Shuttle Enterprise get's refitted with Impulse engines, and she gets to finally travel into space. I would imagine that by the TNG and STO era's Warp drives are small enough to fit inside her as well. Wouldn't that be something to see in Sector Space
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
No to get off-topic here, but this all ind of reminds me of one of the "Lost Years" books they put out for Star Trek awhile back. The story was set while Enterprise was being refit and rebuilt into the movie Enterprise and during the story, the nearly reconstrcuted Saucer section was stolen (from the Earth's surface no less) and the crew of the Enterprise had to "borrow" the Space Shuttle Entprise to go chase it down. It seems in the future, The Space Shuttle Enterprise get's refitted with Impulse engines, and she gets to finally travel into space. I would imagine that by the TNG and STO era's Warp drives are small enough to fit inside her as well. Wouldn't that be something to see in Sector Space
The amount of people on the actual STO Discussion Board would QQ, Complain, Gripe and Whine would be off the scale. You should totally go suggest this.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
The amount of people on the actual STO Discussion Board would QQ, Complain, Gripe and Whine would be off the scale. You should totally go suggest this.
While I don't think I could stand that much hate and discontent, it would be funny to watch the other boards boil over with that discussion. It would make an interesting 500 day gift though. make it part of being able to visit earth and all that. Or make it a mini-game where you fly the shuttle down to a landing at the Cape.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
That was fun to watch as always. She'll be headed up here to DC as part of the Air and Space annex display near Dulles aiport to replace Enterprise eventually.
Wait, replace the Enterprise? Why would they replace such an iconic ship bearing the proud name. Ok granted Enterprise never even went into space but still!. Stupid smart people.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Wait, replace the Enterprise? Why would they replace such an iconic ship bearing the proud name. Ok granted Enterprise never even went into space but still!. Stupid smart people.
Two words... Government Employees*
*Apologies to anyone here that works for the Federal Governement, but the ones around here seem a little "off"
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Three words. Political Bull Smiles.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Three words. Political Bull Smiles.
Some of that too.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-09-2011, 01:17 PM
I believe that the Enterprise will still be on loan to the Smithsonian, it'll just be the one that goes "on tour." (How anyone does that with something that big is beyond me.)

However, it does mean I have to get back to the Air & Space Museum Annex before they roll Enterprise out and bring Discovery in.

I will say that, although all three shuttles are basically the same, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this one. I'm sorry to see it go.

Goodbye, Discovery. How appropriate that, as you were the shuttle that lifted off after both the loss of the Challenger and Columbia, that it is you that helps close an era. May your new caretakers at the Smithsonian treat you well.