Lt. Commander
# 1 kobayashi maru
03-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if you could head to Earth Spacedock and actually take the test as a mission? I imagine that it would essentially be a survival mode, with progressively more difficult enemies showing up until your ship is inevitably destroyed. But I think it would be an interesting way to test your ship builds against multiple enemies of various type and difficulty without any real consequences.

this is how I figure it would play out:

You head to earth spacedock, and talk to some kobayashi maru test giver NPC.
You select a scenario (basically enemy type)
You select your ship
You then fight waves of ships of the enemy faction you chose, getting higher in level until you die.
Level ends, you get a score.

Leaderboards sorted by rank and/or shiptype would also be awesome.

To avoid people taking advantage of the mission, it should give out no rewards or skill points (or at least very few) and simply act as a no risk no reward testbed for ship builds. A way for you to find out exactly how far you can push your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
It should be one of the first missions you do, even before the tutorial. It should be there for all players to experience ship loss for the first time and recognize it for the minor inconvenience that it is.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I like this idea, would we be able to group up with other players and fight the the endless hoard of enemies together?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Sounds something that is a perfect fit for the Foundry, except for leaderboard of course. This is something I'm sure a lot of people are up for trying. Including me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
the minor inconvenience that it is.
that made me lol pretty hard
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Except you can't beat the Kobayashi Maru. A king-of-the-hill style game where you have to protect the Maru and yourself would be interesting.

But not timer based in any way. Cruisers would have an advantage.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Since it's unwinnable, maybe make it like a "survival" mode thing...where you gain points based on how long you last?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Since it's unwinnable, maybe make it like a "survival" mode thing...where you gain points based on how long you last?
cloaks off and presses the 'W' key every 10 minutes for a few hours.

mm no and even without cloak as said the more tankier ships would have a clear advantage. Not to forget engineering captains
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
It should be one of the first missions you do, even before the tutorial. It should be there for all players to experience ship loss for the first time and recognize it for the minor inconvenience that it is.
This^^
It needs to be added to the Tutorial.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Somebody has made a very good foundry mission of it.