Lt. Commander
# 1 Anti Cloak Powers
03-09-2011, 10:07 AM
A certain someone in my fleet brought this up, and I realized how true it is.

The Anti cloak (stealth detection) powers that used to almost work properly. Just don't seem to do anything at all.

Sensor scan is nice, if you want to do more damage to a target, but its supposed to reveal cloaked ships right?

Tachyon Detection Grid (Nebula Class special) - is meant for the sole purpose of revealing hostile cloaked ships. I have yet to see an instance in which this is actually usefull. It should honestly be a passive power or an aura like effect you can toggle ON / OFF at the cost of like oh 15 aux power or something silly so its not just a leave it on always thing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Makes you wonder what the sensor pod on top of the Nebula is really for. If its for the Tachyon Detection Grid, is it really just a piece of ornamentation that makes a TDG light show.

Charged Particle Burst is supposed to reveal cloaked AI ships as well, but all it seems to do is just damage shields on AI craft and not disable battle cloak.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I thought mines were supposed to be able to detect cloaking devices.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
In pvp, Battle Cloak does not seem to trigger any mines, and the new Cloaked Tractor Beam mines won't decloak and tractor beam a ship that is cloaking. The Breen Transphasic Torpedo mines do seem to work though against battle cloaked ships. Against the AI, the same seems to happen as well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Lau
I thought mines were supposed to be able to detect cloaking devices.
Ironic, Jadaris and I just tested this theory, they do not. He can get up to about 1 km of them before he see's them and they don't seem to lock onto him if he has cloak on.

All the powers to decloak or reveal cloaked ships do work against other players but have no usefull effect against NPC controlled ships.

I can force a cloaked player to decloak by locking them in my borg tractor beam, even with the polarize hull the power drain still works on that btw. Throwing a torpedo at a ship thats starting its cloak up, doesnt cause it to break either.

You can Gravity well a cloaked oponent which causes it to decloak.

Ironic that the automated defense turret console shoots at him, doesnt start combat or decloak him.

And the Subnucleonic beam says it removes currently applied buffs, well combat cloak is not one of them.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya

And the Subnucleonic beam says it removes currently applied buffs, well combat cloak is not one of them.
Cloaking not considered a buff per se, though SNB does remove the bonus damage buff that decloaking brings.
Also SNB does put cloaking on the same cooldown as every other power it effects rendering it unusable until SNB is removed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Charged Particle Burst still works like a charm for decloaking people.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Just talk to the enemy (activate a dialogue) and they will be decloaked :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-11-2011, 02:11 AM
I am not really happy with how cloaking and cloaking detection mechanics work, but they do what they are supposed to do.

I have noticed that I was able to keep track of cloaked vessels in my Defiant if I had hit them with Attack Pattern Beta and Fire on my Mark (if I was close enough). The challenge is getting that close when you got a cloaking runner (always a BoP, no one else can run and cloak that way).

Charged Particle Burst is the best cloak killer probably.

Sensor Scan and Tachyon Detection Grid pretty much only help those that already are good at cloak detection, e.g. people running high auxillary power and being well trained in stealth sight boosting skills.

Anyone playing the detection role should probably have a Tractor Beam ready to violently decloak a good target...