Lt. Commander
# 21
03-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Talking about it is one thing. Derailing the thread is another. Please don't do the later of the two.

And if you really want my analysis of how good a show it is:

The first two episodes were an attempt to pitch the series as a classic Magical Girl show, with the slight alteration that these characters are, obviously, ponies. This may or may not work for you, I rather liked it myself.

However, subsequent episodes decided to ditch the premise, at least for now.

While it's true that the basic formula is fairly standard, as with most great works, the distinction is in the execution. Primarily in characterization. For example: The main 5 ponies Twilight Makes friends with, would, in most other shows, be instant friends. However, in MLP: FiM, it has taken us half this season to establish why these characters with so vastly differing personalities would be friends with each other. Griffin the Brush off is a very good episode with a well done Aesop. However, in characterization, the reason i watch the show, it establishes that Dash and Pinkie Pie weren't friends, but also establishes how they could (and do) become friends.

The show also, while aimed at girls, does so in an intelligent manner. Look at Rarity, who, rather than being a shopaholic, is a Fashion Designer and an artist, who designs dresses for her friends as gifts.

Another reason I like this show, and one I stated in the OP (if you bothered to read it) is the fact that it has inspired a very creative and courteous fandom. You should try visiting Equestria Daily and looking through some of the Fanfics and Fancomics and Fanart. It's really pretty good.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredZero View Post
And you did start a second thread for it - and to clarify, I'm also commenting on the dubious decision to start a second thread after the first one was received so well.
Yeah, I mean what did he expect? That everyone who was here like 3 weeks ago left and a bunch of new people came in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanPhsyco
Talking about it is one thing. Derailing the thread is another. Please don't do the later of the two.
You must be new here.

And I normally like Magical Girl shows. See the avatar. But this MLP doesn't seem special in any regard. At best it seems like American cartoon makers are finally starting to get a couple ideas from Japanese series.

You want a few really good and really different magical girl series with strong characterizations? Try My-HiME, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. All three will make MLP ring as hollow as promises of the Book of Darkness. All three of those series I mentioned also have large, creative, and fun fandoms.

As does the Persona series.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:

And if you really want my analysis of how good a show it is:

The first two episodes were an attempt to pitch the series as a classic Magical Girl show, with the slight alteration that these characters are, obviously, ponies. This may or may not work for you, I rather liked it myself.

However, subsequent episodes decided to ditch the premise, at least for now.

While it's true that the basic formula is fairly standard, as with most great works, the distinction is in the execution. Primarily in characterization. For example: The main 5 ponies Twilight Makes friends with, would, in most other shows, be instant friends. However, in MLP: FiM, it has taken us half this season to establish why these characters with so vastly differing personalities would be friends with each other. Griffin the Brush off is a very good episode with a well done Aesop. However, in characterization, the reason i watch the show, it establishes that Dash and Pinkie Pie weren't friends, but also establishes how they could (and do) become friends.

The show also, while aimed at girls, does so in an intelligent manner. Look at Rarity, who, rather than being a shopaholic, is a Fashion Designer and an artist, who designs dresses for her friends as gifts.

Another reason I like this show, and one I stated in the OP (if you bothered to read it) is the fact that it has inspired a very creative and courteous fandom. You should try visiting Equestria Daily and looking through some of the Fanfics and Fancomics and Fanart. It's really pretty good.
This is more like it.

And, since I have not actually seen the series - I will give it a look-see in the spirit of fairness.

EDIT: Peeked at the story archives. Since it doesn't seem to have any sort of sorting mechanism, do you have any particular story you found excellent? I only ask because the very first one I looked at immediately struck me as...well, to be perfectly honest - trying too hard. The flow was awkward and it had spelling and punctuation errors (while these affect the content very little (most of the time), it does however detract from readability).
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-09-2011, 06:25 PM
No problem

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...thkey=CM7w17kC

This one was one of those '20 minute write ups' that a friend of mine did on the Giant in the Playground forums, but it's pretty good. It's sort of got a reliance on previously known characterization and character back story, though.

I also had a silly My Little Pony/Star Trek crossover on page 1 or 2. It's a bit sub-par compared to some, but it's also Star Trek

I'd also look for "Junior Speedsters are Forever" after you've had a chance to see the corresponding Episode (Griffin the Brush Off)
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Having read that, I render the following opinion:

It's not bad. There are some areas where it was clear the author was trying too hard with the description - although it was significantly less than the first one I read (this is a good thing). The flow was better, and overall it was okay.

Not something I'd find myself re-reading over and over again, but it's okay.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Lauren Faust wanted to make the show more like a Magical Girl show, but Hasbro shut her down. They didn't think it would sell toys, and that's the only reason why they show MLP in the first place.

She gets back at them from time to time, though. Dragonshy, for example, and the pilot.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredZero View Post
Having read that, I render the following opinion:

It's not bad. There are some areas where it was clear the author was trying too hard with the description - although it was significantly less than the first one I read (this is a good thing). The flow was better, and overall it was okay.

Not something I'd find myself re-reading over and over again, but it's okay.
Being sick as a dog and stuck at home until I can actually breathe the cold air outside without coughing up a lung has allowed me vast amounts of time with which I have little to no idea as to how to use.

Being a writer myself, having had a few things even published (letter to newspaper company, one article on networking science that kinda thing) and as a writer in my spare time on varied topics, including fiction, I decided "Yeah, why the hell not skim this to see what they're rattling their sabers about.

I rendered a slightly different opinion than BoredZero did.

I made it half way in before I stopped. That will be the first foot note. The second foot note is this: I accept your fan-dom of this show, THE SHOW being the key phrase. I myself will still watch shows from my childhood such as Rocco's Modern Life, Angry Beavers and Invader Zim (that being more adulthood, but that was def. not a kid's show if you know Johnen Vasquez) so I get it. Now. Dispensing with those pleasantries, I move onto my more and somewhat less conservative evaluation.

The writing is well structured, the grammar and spelling is sound. That impressed me as most "literature" on the internet is not as fortunate. You can tell a great deal of care and time and effort was put into it. Again, I respect effort. However, it is based on a cartoon for children and putting these characters into dynamic situations with a vocabulary that made me picture a Kafkaesque scene involving the My Little Pony equivalent of Mimi from The Drew Carey Show (see also: Troll Doll obsession) holding a prime-time TV writer hostage at plastic-pony point forcing them to slave over both a Thesaurus and Computer with false promises of getting their family back. And the "vibe" of it ricochets between gloomy to "happy-go-lucky look at me I mixed Pixie Sticks and Mountain Dew"

It also raised a few questions, namely in how the viability of such stories and crossovers as written for adult-level readers came to pass. Now I know I could be considered wrong here, probably will be, but when I think "My Little Pony" my mind goes first to kids playing with the toys, brushing their manes etc. while acting out short lived stories with little to no continuity or forethought. We're talking about humanizing and adding complex elements with developing and arcing story to something that even in it's native form probably falls drastically, if not painfully. The phrase "Using a band-aid on a broken leg" comes to mind. Also using such characters in crossovers outside of a done-for-humor manner would not only be confusing but would probably kill any level of acceptance you might find outside your small internet circle.

Fan-Fic has existed since the Internet was invented 100 years ago, sometimes it has even been used to script out episodes that really air... but isn't this just a little, let's go with "Unfitting" of a children's series based off a marketing pitch?

Now I'll own up to not being into sunshine-lovey-dovey-1960's flashback'n, but from an objective third person viewpoint this is just strange. Like Court-Stenographer following a coven of 6-7 year old's around as they play with their toys and record the damage strange.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
*Snip*
You do raise a good point. I am only nostalgically a fan of the early My Little Pony series.

But Friendship is Magic actually has done a very good job with it's characters. A very good job. It also has a definitive series canon, and while each episode is a story in itself (for the most part), there's a definite timeline that exists, rather similar to TNG and how episodes might call back to later episodes, but could be watched individually.

This is what is enabling the Fandom to write more 'adult' level fanfiction. It's what enabled Star Trek to actually invent the idea in the first place, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Quote:
This is what is enabling the Fandom to write more 'adult' level fanfiction. It's what enabled Star Trek to actually invent the idea in the first place, after all.
Wait...Star Trek invented Fan Fiction?

Is that you Superlink?
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-09-2011, 07:47 PM
No. And Star Trek invented the modern concept of fanfiction. Really, it invented the modern concept of Fandom as we know it. Other works helped codify and refine, grant you, but they all owe it to Star Trek.

Incidentially: Pony Vulcan
Closed Thread