Lt. Commander
On the last episode of STOked, they revealed many of the ideas people submitted for how the Captain's Table could be tweaked. I've combined a few to come up with what I think would be the perfect solution. (Just my opinion, obviously.)

For those of you that are new to STO, the Captain's Table is a space station that Lifetime and 400+ Day subscribers can access as a perk. It contains the usual space station functions, a tailor, access to your bank, access to the Exchange, access to Email, ability to swap ships, etc... You get to it by flying into that diamond-shaped anomaly located near ESD.

The idea of the Captain's Table came from a series of Star Trek books (The first is just called "Captain's Table") In the books, the location of the table isn't on a space station, but just takes place in a multi-dimensional bar where Captains across time and space come to swap stories of their adventures.

One of the ideas voiced on STOked was that the Captains' Table should be accessible from any bar in the game. So, you'd access the table from each club in any space station. (Via a door.) While that makes a lot of sense from a soft-canon standpoint (I think that's how it was accessed in the books) since the Captain's Table duplicates most space station funcationality, (at least in its current incarnation) it wouldn't make much sense to have access to it via a Starbase.

What I propose is this : (keep in mind that I'm just combining ideas that were voiced to the STO folks. I didn't come up with these, but think the combo I put together makes the most sense.)
  1. Make the Captain's Table accessible for all Captain+ ranked characters
  2. Make the Captain's Table accessible via Transwarp.
  3. Move the Mission Replay functionality to the Captain's Table, since replaying one of your past missions would be like telling a story of your past adventures.
  4. Leaving the Captain's Table puts you back where you were, prior to Transwarping

This makes the Captain's Table very useful to those who use it because they can Transwarp to it whenever they want, which makes swapping ships easier, and grabbing stuff out of your bank to equip it easier. It also keeps is somewhat exclusive in that you have to be at least a Captain to access it, and it doesn't mean Cryptic has to do a lot of work on something they've already put a lot of design work into.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
On the last episode of STOked, they revealed many of the ideas people submitted for how the Captain's Table could be tweaked. I've combined a few to come up with what I think would be the perfect solution. (Just my opinion, obviously.)

For those of you that are new to STO, the Captain's Table is a space station that Lifetime and 400+ Day subscribers can access as a perk. It contains the usual space station functions, a tailor, access to your bank, access to the Exchange, access to Email, ability to swap ships, etc... You get to it by flying into that diamond-shaped anomaly located near ESD.

The idea of the Captain's Table came from a series of Star Trek books (The first is just called "Captain's Table") In the books, the location of the table isn't on a space station, but just takes place in a multi-dimensional bar where Captains across time and space come to swap stories of their adventures.

One of the ideas voiced on STOked was that the Captains' Table should be accessible from any bar in the game. So, you'd access the table from each club in any space station. (Via a door.) While that makes a lot of sense from a soft-canon standpoint (I think that's how it was accessed in the books) since the Captain's Table duplicates most space station funcationality, (at least in its current incarnation) it wouldn't make much sense to have access to it via a Starbase.

What I propose is this : (keep in mind that I'm just combining ideas that were voiced to the STO folks. I didn't come up with these, but think the combo I put together makes the most sense.)
  1. Make the Captain's Table accessible for all Captain+ ranked characters
  2. Make the Captain's Table accessible via Transwarp.
  3. Move the Mission Replay functionality to the Captain's Table, since replaying one of your past missions would be like telling a story of your past adventures.
  4. Leaving the Captain's Table puts you back where you were, prior to Transwarping

This makes the Captain's Table very useful to those who use it because they can Transwarp to it whenever they want, which makes swapping ships easier, and grabbing stuff out of your bank to equip it easier. It also keeps is somewhat exclusive in that you have to be at least a Captain to access it, and it doesn't mean Cryptic has to do a lot of work on something they've already put a lot of design work into.
So you want to remove the one thing we can actually do on the ship?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X01103 View Post
So you want to remove the one thing we can actually do on the ship?
The point made in the podcast was that additional functions would likely be added to ship interiors soon, so this wouldn't be taking away too much from ship interiors.

Don't really know if I agree with that or not.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
More functionality for the interiors is coming. I love the interiors, and want more functionality. However, losing Mission Replay from the interiors wouldn't bother me much. It's not an interior specific function. It's just not interesting. It could be a built in UI element and do the same thing. I want interior SPECIFIC stuff to do inside my ship.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsiderSubtype View Post
The point made in the podcast was that additional functions would likely be added to ship interiors soon, so this wouldn't be taking away too much from ship interiors.

Don't really know if I agree with that or not.
I would rather see the mission replay rolled into something like a future holodeck not a multi-dimensional door.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I wrote it to STOked in an email, maybe they will mention it in the next episode, maybe not.

My suggestion was INSTEAD of the Mission Replay function (which is something we allready have anyway),
add something for the FOUNDRY there,
maybe that *test NEW missions* functionality, so that new missions get rated by more seasoned players that actually know their way arround in the game and can vote more fairly because of more experience.

A new player might vote a new Mission down with 1 star because Hakeev jumped on the roof... a long term player will know of that bug and vote fairly.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Destroy it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2011, 01:40 PM
While I understand the various concerns and desires for the Captains table, I must disagree with a great many of the points put forth.
  • I don't think it should be available to everyone Capt.1 & up, it's meant as an exclusive reward, let's keep it that way.
  • I can see adding mission replay functionality to the CT, but it shouldn't be removed from our Ready Rooms to do so.
  • I don't see why the CT has to have all the funtionality it has now, it's redundant, cut out the tailor, the ship-swap, the bank and the exchange, lets have the CT be unique.

It should gain exclusive functionality, things you can't do anywhere else.

Pool/Billiards (not sure of the difference) there's (currently non-functional) poker tables in every crew lounge, but the Captains table should showcase pool, it should allow you to face various computer opponents (all the way from beginner to Shark), or, face off vs a single other PC.

There should be a something akin to a juke box, replete with ST music, as well as important music to the storyline of Trek. (Steppenwolf anyone?) You pay 10 bars of GPL, and you get to pick the next song in line (with a maximum list of 5 songs, to avoid anyone buying up a weeks worth of music at once).

There should be a computer in the CT, documenting all the canon captains who have visited, imagine full biographies of Captains Archer, Kirk, Picard, Riker, Janeway, Sisko, etc.. with some of them ending in messages like: "You do not have proper authorization to access information about events beyond stardate ~whatever~ as you have not yet progressed that far in the time-line"

Imagine it connects to he Captains database, and you can access the public records of the various Captains with access to the CT..

Throw a bar that stocks rare vintages (Spring Wine & Tranya, for example) in and let it be useful in a unique way, not a carbon-copy of other facilities throughout the galaxy.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2011, 02:02 PM
The table being accessible via holodeck was the best idea I've heard on it. That said, dstahl talked about a player-led starbase where we could stash our unused BOffs.

How about this: offices for players that are based in a select canon location. A player can choose to have his/her office at Starfleet Academy, Utopia Planitia, Vulcan, Andoria, or DS9 to name a few locations. It is immediately available to all lifetime members and accessible to the rest of the community at Cpt5. If you want to make a dollar off of it, Cryptic, you can have the two Sol-based locations accessible to everyone at Cpt5 and the others available via c-store purchase.

The office would have access to exchange, bank, mail, and bridge/duty officer management systems. Customization options like ship managment and the tailor would be unavailable. Access to the captains table would occur through holographic platform as seen in DS9, only here the player needs to step onto the pad.

The captains table itself should function the way it does now, with perhaps more diverse food selection. One food item from each branch (one from dmg&heal, one from dmg&resist), as well as a person to buy minor regenerators from on a ten hour timer would be nice. And make it smaller; it has too many rooms.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
While I understand the various concerns and desires for the Captains table, I must disagree with a great many of the points put forth.
  • I don't think it should be available to everyone Capt.1 & up, it's meant as an exclusive reward, let's keep it that way.
  • I can see adding mission replay functionality to the CT, but it shouldn't be removed from our Ready Rooms to do so.
  • I don't see why the CT has to have all the funtionality it has now, it's redundant, cut out the tailor, the ship-swap, the bank and the exchange, lets have the CT be unique.

It should gain exclusive functionality, things you can't do anywhere else.

Pool/Billiards (not sure of the difference) there's (currently non-functional) poker tables in every crew lounge, but the Captains table should showcase pool, it should allow you to face various computer opponents (all the way from beginner to Shark), or, face off vs a single other PC.

There should be a something akin to a juke box, replete with ST music, as well as important music to the storyline of Trek. (Steppenwolf anyone?) You pay 10 bars of GPL, and you get to pick the next song in line (with a maximum list of 5 songs, to avoid anyone buying up a weeks worth of music at once).

There should be a computer in the CT, documenting all the canon captains who have visited, imagine full biographies of Captains Archer, Kirk, Picard, Riker, Janeway, Sisko, etc.. with some of them ending in messages like: "You do not have proper authorization to access information about events beyond stardate ~whatever~ as you have not yet progressed that far in the time-line"

Imagine it connects to he Captains database, and you can access the public records of the various Captains with access to the CT..

Throw a bar that stocks rare vintages (Spring Wine & Tranya, for example) in and let it be useful in a unique way, not a carbon-copy of other facilities throughout the galaxy.
I love this, especially the the pool table and captain database idea . WIN.