Lt. Commander
# 1 foundry season
03-07-2011, 08:31 PM
I wonder how players would receive a 'season' project.

Where instead of creating stand alone episodes or even small arcs.

You create a cast and recurring guest stars. The mission would be telling a story just like an episode of the show but the player would be taking an interactive part in the story and not necessarily be the story. For the sake of this particular 'project' if you will, the player would not be playing his Captain and his crew, but they would merely be a gateway to experience the content/story

Playing these types of missions the player would have to accept for these missions that the story being told isn't of his captain and crew and what they would do but they are just experiencing it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Ashter did something like this. I think she called it the Hitman series. They're interesting to try out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2011, 10:12 PM
While not calling it a season a lot of players create story arcs that develop over a number of missions.

My "Hunters" story arc is supposed to have 6 episodes so you could call that a season. However, I think we should let cryptic use that technical expression for their seasons to not confuse people. It would be great though if you could group your missions into story arcs so the missions get unlocked as you finish each part.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
While not calling it a season a lot of players create story arcs that develop over a number of missions.

My "Hunters" story arc is supposed to have 6 episodes so you could call that a season. However, I think we should let cryptic use that technical expression for their seasons to not confuse people. It would be great though if you could group your missions into story arcs so the missions get unlocked as you finish each part.
I think we will be seeing more of these coming to foundry due to Triggers. Additional content means less story in the one mission to keep it interesting...

I do believe in the theory only add what is important to the story, but triggers give us the ability to make an interactive environment for the story. I think Cryptic needs to reconsider the restrictions in place because of this.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
yes but does your hunters story arc take the story and write it and let the user experience it?

What I am trying to say is, the idea i am proposing is you would control everything about the characters. The characters would not be the players own but yours. So the personality you write for the bridge officers, will be different from the ones people expect for themselves, and the things they will say. And these things will remain constant, like as constant as a character or protagonist throughout a book.

Because your telling the story, and it's not your crew experiencing it, its you using the sto client to interactively engage in the story.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2011, 11:04 PM
I see what you mean, Cruis.In. These are questions that I asked myself as well. You see, I am a storyteller not a programmer or leveldesigner. I try to tell a story in my mission that has an overlying premisse - a moral if you will - that develops characters. Except these characters are not your own.

To answer your question: No.
No, "Hunters" doesn't characterize the player or his BOFFs. That is not possible because I don't know what characters play my story. As I wrote in another thread once, it is a very delicate balance between interesiting dialog from your BOFFs and dialog that actually fits the player's BOFFs.

I honestly think, however, that this is how STO works and it basically is how STO gets its charm.
See, personally I like STO because it allows me to play myself or a character I envision inside the Star Trek universe. It goes even further by giving me MY ship and, if I want to, MY crew - both things I can customize to an (ever growing) extent.

Now, if I play a mission - from a strictly player point of view - I want it to play with my characters. I don't want to use other characters because I love mine. And I think most of the other players think so too.

As a storyteller what am I supposed to do?

The same thing STO does and, in fact, a lot of Star Trek episodes do because you cannot make character development in ever episode: Create minor characters that are actually the main characters of the story. Let the story revolve around them.
Granted, this is easer in storyarcs than in a single mission.

For example, in Part 1 of "Hunters" you meet one of these main characters. You don't learn a lot about her but she is introduced (Part 1 is meant as typical Star Trek teaser before the opening credits). In Part 2, that I'm still working out some kinks and thus it's not published yet, you meet a second main character and are hinted on a third.

I wrote this short story, the missions follow it and the characters - my characters - follow it as well. The player experiences my story.

I really know what you mean but I don't think a lot of players would like not to play their own characters.
I would love, however, if you could give the player at least a single NPC that acompanies him.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-09-2011, 01:11 AM
I think if you wanna create an "arc", wait for foundry to move to holodeck, when you can actually do an arc. For now make nice missions, hone your skills, knowing things change and when you must be able to adapt your entire arc, good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2011, 02:06 AM
That is really not my style. I know that i probably waste a lot of time (and I still hope for some kind of import feature) but it's actually not that bad to create my missions on Tribble first.

I don't see Tribble as a live environment more of a playground to test out my missions. The good thing is, I already know how my missions could be made, so if I have to recreat them I can make them "cleaner". It's like I draft my mission first.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
That is really not my style. I know that i probably waste a lot of time (and I still hope for some kind of import feature) but it's actually not that bad to create my missions on Tribble first.

I don't see Tribble as a live environment more of a playground to test out my missions. The good thing is, I already know how my missions could be made, so if I have to recreat them I can make them "cleaner". It's like I draft my mission first.
Amen, a true founder...