Lt. Commander
# 1 Rare Trace Exchange NPC
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Please give us an NPC at Memory Alpha who will take surplus traces we have of one type and allow us to receive back any other type of trace in return. This could require that we "pay" two or three traces in order to get one back, which would be well worth it in my view. This would help make the lives of those who farm and craft a lot an order of magnitude easier.

The reason we need this is that, while drop rates of traces seem fairly uniform, the consumption of them definitely is not. Everyone I know is constantly short of antithorons and vertions for instance, because it takes three each of those to make most high end weapons, as well as other types of gear. The problem is that certain other traces which drop just as often may be nominally used in the same number of patterns, but we only need, for example, one shield array, whereas we have to make eight items for weapon slots. This leads to some traces piling up in our banks to epic levels, while we're continually starving for others. (I know not everyone has totally even luck with the drop rates as well, but overall I'm assuming they actually are fairly even, despite what seem like "runs" of bad luck from time to time).

Trading between players or within fleets does not solve this shortage, because everyone is short of the same types all the time. Our fleet bank is constantly empty of antithorons and vertions, just like my personal bank, while many of the other types just pile up and never get used. We need a mechanic that can balance the number of traces coming into the game according to actual consumption, and an exchange NPC would do that neatly. It would also "consume" unused or surplus traces, and this would avoid any "bad" consequences of just upping the drop rates (which in itself wouldn't solve the problem, because we would still have large differences in demand for different types).
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2011, 08:39 PM
/ Support

I usually hunt for Data Samples in the B'tran cluster, and I have observed all types to occur evenly. I cannot offer valuable feeback for the other clusters. Regardless, I would find a mechanism such as the one you proposed very valuable.

Also, consider this;
Uneven supply does reflect real life, though, and an exchange mechanism would need to be something a bit more than a "win button." You mentioned trading in any three for any one; that is certainly one very valid (and highly streamlined) way of keeping a sense of economic balance.

Perhaps a solution is better found in the core programming. "Vertion-rich" zones; areas where certain particles occur more frequently than others. (Just as how common data samples are found in various zones) I see such an update possible with the exploration-redux comming up in the future. Larger anomalies (like quasars) would have surrounding them certain elements, while stellar nebulae have another distinct set.
That's just one approach. I would be interested in what solutions other players could come up with.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-10-2011, 12:10 AM
I have to disagree. The point of crafting in any game is that you have to grind out the mats. What you are proposing would basically turn all data samples into a single universal sample, slash crafting time investment and devalue the end result. There would be no pint in having different data samples if you could just exchange them for any other would there?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2011, 03:36 AM
I like the idea of a particle exchange NPC. The Rare traces could only be traded for other rare traces. The Red quality should only be traded for other red, green for other green, blue for other blue, orange for orange, and purple for purple. I also agree that the exchange rate should be three for one, or even 5 for one.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-10-2011, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
I have to disagree. The point of crafting in any game is that you have to grind out the mats. What you are proposing would basically turn all data samples into a single universal sample, slash crafting time investment and devalue the end result. There would be no pint in having different data samples if you could just exchange them for any other would there?
No, because you have to pay two or three times as much as you get back, which means you still need to farm plenty to get the things you need. Farming is plenty of work now. It's just dumb to go for weeks waiting for three of a certain trace to drop, while I've got twenty+ of many other types piled up in my bank. If I can trade in six to nine Metreons that I'll never use for the three Vertions that I need, that's a fair exchange. It sinks traces that aren't being used, which preserves the amount of overall effort required to farm. But it balances the actual supply to the actual demand, to compensate for unbalanced usage in the current bills of material. This is just a mechanic in the game that is broken at the moment, and probably very hard to fix perfectly, but with an exchange system would balance itself out based on actual player behavior.

Also, none of the traces are "useless," just some types are a lot less used than others. So it costs quite a bit in either foregone income from sales of excess traces or giving up traces you might use to make some gear for another toon down the line, to get the few exact traces you need today. If there were offsetting differences in demand among different classes of players, then player trading itself could take care of this. But there isn't. Everyone is always short of the same things. The solution needs to take the "excess" traces out of the game universe and bring shorted ones in (although at a costly rate), in order to balance out the overall supply.

The obvious intent of having uniform drop rates and having traces used in roughly equal numbers of patterns was to provide a uniform supply and demand for all ten types of traces. It just happens that it doesn't work out that way right now due to the quantity of different items needed. This is a way to fix it, without breaking the premise that farming does require regular play of the mini-game and a fair amount of work.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
I like the idea of a particle exchange NPC. The Rare traces could only be traded for other rare traces. The Red quality should only be traded for other red, green for other green, blue for other blue, orange for orange, and purple for purple. I also agree that the exchange rate should be three for one, or even 5 for one.
I'd be fine with any multiple between 2 and 5 probably; whatever they feel is "needed" to require that you still farm an "appropriate" amount of times on the mini-game to get the rares you need. They could also require that you pay up to 5 all of the same type, to make it hurt more than trading in 5 random ones of different types.

Exchanging samples would also be great, especially since certain types of those (I'm looking at you, Mineral Samples) are also greatly overused due to the types of patterns they're used in and quantity of items you want to craft from them. Obviously you should only be able to exchange for other samples of the same tier; and giving 50 Alen Artifacts to get 10 Mineral Samples seems like a fair trade.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-10-2011, 05:50 AM
This is a great idea as am always running short on certain Particle Traces and would be willing to trade my 12+ Beta-Tachyons just for a few Chronometrics or Vertrions, even if I had to trade 3 or 4 just for 1.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-10-2011, 05:51 AM
the 2 I'm out of always - Chronoton & Antiproton.

everything else I have 15+ of... though recently, I've been trading my Verterons at MA to people for the ones I never have... I may have less than 5 now.

I agree that there needs to be a better way.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-10-2011, 08:40 AM
What if there was a zone with anomalies that dropped antithorons and verterons more frequently, but they were hazardous somehow? A chance to be pulled into combat with the undine, for example, while you're farming would be one way to balance out the benefit of more rare particle drops. This could be disputed live PvP zone, where a KDF ship could attack a FED ship trying to harvest the same rare particle.

Or not. I'm not the boss of you.

EB
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
How is this different from selling two or three traces on the Exchange in return for the money to buy the one you want?

Are the prices THAT different? Last I saw, the commonest Rares were going for about 150k, and the rarest Rares 400k.

Of course, things may have changed, but I'd prefer a free market solution rather than another artificial band-aid.