Lt. Commander
# 1 PvE vs PvP Challenge
03-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I was thinking, with all of this "debate" over the Tractor Mines and proposed changes to deployables and NPC, PvPers seem to be hating on the PvEers and vice versa.

So why not have a friendly challenge?

Some of you PvEers take some of us PvPers on in either a large or small scale Arena or Cap N Hold and then we take you guys on in either A) time to complete an STF B) Fleet Action C) some sort of competition involving Elite level missions.

Yes? No? Horrible idea?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-09-2011, 09:29 PM
How about a trial based on total /played to solo grind to VA, including capping your research skill and farming all purple Mk XI gear for your ship and captain from scratch, with no outside help.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
How about a trial based on total /played to solo grind to VA, including capping your research skill and farming all purple Mk XI gear for your ship and captain from scratch, with no outside help.
Well that's not fun, it's take forever :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
I was thinking, with all of this "debate" over the Tractor Mines and proposed changes to deployables and NPC, PvPers seem to be hating on the PvEers and vice versa.

Some of you PvEers take some of us PvPers on in either a large or small scale Arena or Cap N Hold and then we take you guys on in either A) time to complete an STF B) Fleet Action C) some sort of competition involving Elite level missions.

Yes? No? Horrible idea?
You seem to miss the point. PvE is about having fun, not about some skill or speed test. And while PvE can also be acquiring gear, that is usually so you can have more fun through using it. PvP tends to be about testing yourself (which is what your post is all about) against other players, or about accomplishing some level of achievement through PvP.

Note: The accomplishment part of PvP is missing in STO. It makes no difference whether you win or lose (or at least less difference than it does in PvE). This is one of the reasons that I PvP less in STO than I have in other MMO's.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Why? Is there a point you're trying to prove?

It sounds like you're trying to bait a hook for some sort of trap here.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
Why? Is there a point you're trying to prove?

It sounds like you're trying to bait a hook for some sort of trap here.
Nothing to prove, just trying to get some community interaction going.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
I play this game not to be "better" than someone else at it, I play this game because I like the stories told in the missions, I enjoy flying around in my starship, I enjoy customizing my character and I just like to take my time and enjoy the atmosphere of the game.

I have no doubt that you are a better player than me in every aspect of the game... you win, I concede victory to you.

So now that we've established who the better player is... what now?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
I play this game not to be "better" than someone else at it, I play this game because I like the stories told in the missions, I enjoy flying around in my starship, I enjoy customizing my character and I just like to take my time and enjoy the atmosphere of the game.

I have no doubt that you are a better player than me in every aspect of the game... you win, I concede victory to you.

So now that we've established who the better player is... what now?
I am in agreement here. No one is going to force me to PvP if I don't want to and i won't force a PvP'er to PvE if they don't want to.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-10-2011, 08:34 PM
How about I just go get a ruler and we settle this once and for all?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Don't forget Diplomacy. One day, I'll do it, I am sure of it. Perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resz
How about I just go get a ruler and we settle this once and for all?
No!
I'd lose.

The intention didn't really seem to be a "measuring contest", more "let's do something together to see what the rest of us is doing all day"...

I wish we could just all be friends.

Mustrum "Don't think I even have all purple gear yet on any toons" Ridcully