Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground autofire suggestionnn
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I think total autofire on ground is less exciting, like watching a robot that autotargets and fights for you. Almost like cheating even, though of course annoying if you want to use 2 powers in a row.

HOWEVER what would be good is if holding down the 1 key or whatever you use to fire made it fire continuously while you are holding down the button, like CTRL or left mouse click in other shooty games? I think that would solve both problems of it being less fun and of shooting interfering with other controls

Tabula Rasa did the same, and lots of people have agreed that was a fun way of doing ground combat: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...8&postcount=40

(I suppose it's way too much to ask to have it fire at where we point the mouse, be able to shoot characters in the leg rather than kill them etc and human face skin being magically resistant to lasers when shields are gone with no one even in huge battles wearing helmets for some reason, but there's always hope for the future maybe)
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Heimburg, MMO systems designer, Star Trek Online (Perpetual Entertainment)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Francis, PC Gamer magazine (UK), January 2010
the 'messy' part is fighting on foot. The animation isn't final at this point, and Cryptic are aware it looks horrible, but wow, it looks horrible. Melee blows seldom connect [..] I have the feeling that when this game is released, the outright bugs will be gone but the general awkwardness will remain: stiff poses, little reaction to blows, and canned amateur-dramatics death animations. [..] Exploit powerful enough to kill a standard enemy instantly. It's all a little too beat-em-up for a Star Trek game, and these words don't relate to what's really going on: you're all exposed, standing in a corridor or in the open on a planet [..] I found myself itching to get back into space. [..] The writing retains the slightly chipper tone of City of Heroes, which feels less appropriate outside of a comic-book world. [..] There's no avoiding the ground combat in Star Trek online, no denying that it's ropey in its current state, and no real chance it'll be brilliant by release. [..] If I'm wrong, and the ground combat does ruin it, at least I know there's an emote for the occasion: /facepalm
startrekonline.com/character_profiles/user_characters/pentadact (I'm guessing the reason why the character doesn't have much progress is it was wiped after game release, and he wouldn't have to go far into the game to tell it hadn't changed much from beta - not sure why the profile has a log but no species listed or picture though, maybe that's what happens when subscription runs out it's to save database space or something?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Francis, PC Gamer magazine (UK), March 2010
We've been unconvinced by the quality of the ground combat each time one of us has seen it [..] wonkily animated [..] make fights look halfway cool by dashing between cover and crouching to aim. The trouble is, the basic logic of fights is so crude that there's no point; phaser blasts pass obliviously through most cover, and there's nowhere useful to dash to. It doesn't help that you're going to have to do the same fight eight more times before you reach the first of five objectives, and that's just one part of one part of a mission. [..] laggy engine [..] Direct hit: no effect. Wait. 24 damage. Lag.
startrekonline.com/character_profiles/user_characters/jazmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz McDougall, PC Gamer magazine (UK), April 2010
limited by expectations of the genre - expectations of health bars and skill points, healers and tanks [..] It's split into two discrete sections: a compelling starship piloting shooter, and disappointing on-foot combat missions. [..] What if they shoot you from below? [..] Enemies don't use cover [..] Ground combat is rarely anything more than a scrap with Mars Bar heads [..] Verdict: An undeniably fun space-combat MMO
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Games news/review site Massively.com have now started a weekly editorial for Star Trek Online
massively.com/2010/04/08/captains-log-the-advisory-council-and-fan-service-in-star-trek
Quote:
Story missions have many great moments, of course, but they're often heavy on my least favorite content...

Least Favorite Content: Ground combat. I dread the very notion of going planetside. The tedium

[..]
Then something on the Dev Tracker Twitter feed caught my eye. It linked to a forum post (which I apologize for being unable to locate) in which a developer explained he would do his best to readjust the spot in which nacelle pylons connect to the hull of a particular class of Cruiser. Unfortunately, he said, the need for interchangeability in ship customization had trumped perfect accuracy in that particular instance. But he promise he was working on it.

My initial reaction: This is the sort of thing Cryptic needs to work on? Ground combat is painfully dull.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2011, 04:57 PM
"Bumping" threads without comment or actual discussion in the thread is considered spam. Please do not do so.
Closed Thread