Lt. Commander
With the series coming to a close and a lack of content until the next major update and the foundry the same problem that has plagued STO is rearing it's ugly head.

We need a dynamic endgame that is player driven.

The foundry is one half of this, but it is just not enough to fill the gaps at endgame.

A well thought out territory control system that has both a pvp and pve component would allow player politics and fleet interaction to become a new and ever shifting endgame.

when you look at other games that have this like darkfall, eve online or even global agenda, it makes so much sense to implement it in a niche game like sto.

I think given the instanced nature of sto's engine the most logical model is one like global agenda's territory war.

as the devs got more time then features like starbases etc could be added to it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
With the series coming to a close and a lack of content until the next major update and the foundry the same problem that has plagued STO is rearing it's ugly head.
We need a dynamic endgame that is player driven.

The foundry is one half of this, but it is just not enough to fill the gaps at endgame.

A well thought out territory control system that has both a pvp and pve component would allow player politics and fleet interaction to become a new and ever shifting endgame.

when you look at other games that have this like darkfall, eve online or even global agenda, it makes so much sense to implement it in a niche game like sto.

I think given the instanced nature of sto's engine the most logical model is one like global agenda's territory war.
I agree. Endgame systems work best when they're dynamic and (I hate to use this term) sandbox-ish.

When you have an intelligent system set-up where the players create their fun (via PvE or PvP territory development and control), it saves a lot of headache versus taking months to create an STF that may or may not be enjoyed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Agreed. It is something I have been desiring greatly and would fit perfectly with STO. It was my favorite part of Warhammer and something I wish I could have experienced in EVE.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
I also agree.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
It seems like the following features would mesh well for endgame (and make STO different from other titles):
  • Exploration Revamp (incl. persistent zones, star cluster "flavors")
  • Territory Control (though both PvE and PvP progression, for those who want to)
  • Diplomacy/Reputation (deeper than x stacks of wool for reputation)
  • Duty Officer missions (as an added component to enhance both crafting and reputation development)

STO endgame could mesh those four aspects together into something unique and rewarding (more 4x strategy than 1-on-1, more galaxy-spanning issues than minor ones).

I just hope the devs are risky enough to try it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-10-2011, 06:19 PM
We need dynamic and engaging content. Completely agree.

I love the featured episodes, really do -- but I'd play every day if we had territory control or something similar.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2011, 08:00 AM
thankfully I think it\s not a question of will it be done but when it will be done, already it\s on the engineering reports, though distant.

I don't think sandbox is a negative term either Darren, one of the strengths of this game is that it seems to be half and half. The foundry is a massive sandbox, the weeklies are more linear and directed. The skill point system also rides the fence nicely as does the flexibility in ships, bridge officers and builds.

All the current "themepark" MMO's are coming to terms with free to play as one way to stay afloat against the 800 pound gorilla of ********, however the "sandboxes" are offering a real gameplay alternative. Eve is an example of a sandbox that carved out it's own profitable niche and held it.

While STO has a way to go to get to that level of complexity and open endedness, It seems like Cryptic is not afraid to explore aspects of the "sandbox" where as most of the struggling themepark MMO's can't get thier heads around the fact that they need to offer something more compelling than a flashy tutorial and a level grind.

We will see how it plays out, but even looking at the duty roster concepts leads me to the conclusion that not only is STO going to blaze it's own trail, it is probably going to evolve into something no one could have predicted even 6 months ago.