Lt. Commander
# 11
03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
Raise your hand, honestly, who here uses anything besides photon/Quantum/Tric?
*Raises hand*

Admitedly on most of my characters its quantums and photons on a few, but I use chriniton on my Captain vorcha and plan to stick with them for the admiral version. One launcher at each end, dual heavy and two single cannons up front, I use the chroniton proc effect when it works to help keep targets in line with my cannons. Plus I think chroniton are the coolest looking torps, I mean who doesn't like shooting a rainbow at people. :p I also haven't bothered putting skill points into them.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
The skill system as a whole is pretty broken. Bonuses normalize at and after Tier 3, but costs continue to ramp up. Can't really add increased bonuses because that will definitely unbalance things. Can't really reduce later costs because the entire levelling system is based off of points spent at varying ranks. No matter how you try to fix things you'll just break it more.

No matter what you do you run into a brick wall. The whole skill system needs a reboot.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
The whole skill system needs a reboot.
Aye, pretty much...
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-10-2011, 05:59 PM
The major bump in skill points cost without any bump in strength is the worst part of it IMO. My detailed thoughts about it are in my sig.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-10-2011, 08:26 PM
The question is, how to balance a higher level weapon versus the loss of exactly one captain or admiral level skill.

For example: A level 9 weapon performance (or some other top tier science/eng/tac skill) with level 9 phasers should roughly equal a level 9 polaron weapon without the weapon performance skill. Otherwise, you make the polaron skill a must-have rather than an alternative.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Personally I think if I am spending 200 points a skill level then I should get regular damage, If I am spending 500 points a skill level I should be doing far more damage. I would just lower the cost of all damage types to 200 each for skill levels but keep the rank requirements.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Weapon types do need a buff but Cryptic can't simply make the higher skill point costing ones stronger because this destroys balance. They should all cost the same amount of skill points, and the procs should be buffed. If you don't buff the procs, Dis and Phasers remain the best in game wpn types.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory275 View Post
Weapon types do need a buff but Cryptic can't simply make the higher skill point costing ones stronger because this destroys balance. They should all cost the same amount of skill points, and the procs should be buffed. If you don't buff the procs, Dis and Phasers remain the best in game wpn types.
Ya...the thread is about buffing the procs
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
i think the procs need a bit an overhawl, all of them should have much more nasty side effects.

Procs

Phaser- 10% chance to disable subsystem for 5 seconds. The duration of the proc stacks consecutively. it should be limited to one system at a time though, all other systems get 'emergency dampeners' against the proc for 10 seconds. if your shields are disabled and in that 5 seconds you got hit with the proc to disable engines it wouldn't do any thing. otherwise it would basically be impossible to tank against multiple phaser users. but if you got hit with another shield disable proc, shields would remain disabled for another 5 seconds. but there would be like a 1.25% chance of that happening

Disruptor- 10% chance for target to take 10% more damage for 5 seconds. The duration of the proc stacks consecutively, but the proc chance goes down 1% every time the proc occurs when the target is already suffering from it.

Plasma- 10% chance to start a plasma fire that deals 50% of the initial weapon damage over 5 seconds. Proc can stack unlimited times. that seems a bit more realistic, and would work well at high levels too.

Tetryon- 10% chance to negate 100 weapon energy for 5 seconds. The duration of the proc stacks consecutively. source- "Bombardment with tetryons can render directed-energy weapons inoperative. Jadzia Dax utilized tetryons to disable the weapons of The Albino's troops on Secarus IV in 2370. (DS9: "Blood Oath")"

Polaron- 10% chance to do 50% more shield bleed
source- ever watch deep space nine?!

Antiproton- additional 10% critical severity. since every antiproton weapon ive seen is very rare purple, it doesn't seem to need more than that. dual heavy antiproton cannons are available with 70% critical severity!
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I agree. There is a reason the only weapons people use in pvp are phasers/disruptors and antiproton. Tetryon weapons suck. The shield proc is useless. I used it for months with all kinds of different skills and it was a complete waste of time. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if they purposefully suck so that we have to spend money on respecs, but I guess that's a bit out there. Plasma and polaron arealso useless at higher levels. Trust me, I had to respec out of both of them. This needs to be addressed.