Lt. Commander
# 11
03-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
This is by far the greatest definition of 'griefing' ever.

I really hope you report all these evil, cruel authors for griefing. How DARE they use the toolkit to the best of their abilities, knowing full well there's no way to access the player's ship interior from the Foundry.

Clearly, they're terrible, wicked people.
There's no need to get sarcastic.

Anything that is supposed to take place on the bridge is best left dormant until the update that lets you parse the player's bridge. Choosing otherwise is still, by definition, forcing your personal preference on the player, and is therefore (again, by definition) griefing. Does that make it enforcable? Of course not. It's rather petty. I'm just pointing out what should be patently obvious.

Also, forcing a player's look to change IS griefing, and of a more serious type. You'll never see it in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
You would rather someone not tell a story because the sets they have to use are not everything they want? You will have to explain to me exactly what your definition of griefing is, because I would off hand say that TOS was griefing because they didn't use custom built sets for every single episode they shot.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis View Post
I'm just pointing out what should be patently obvious.
Obviously these restrictions are patently obvious, to you. They are not however shared by other members of the community and you know what they say about the Needs of The Many...
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I'd definitely like to see the option of putting on a disguise or requiring the use of an "off-duty" or non-military uniform to complete a mission. There are a myriad of examples where the away team had to go in disguise and it would be a really neat addition to see added to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
Also, forcing a player's look to change IS griefing, and of a more serious type. You'll never see it in the game.
And why is it griefing? I think that this would fall under a gray area here, such as if its use is warranted, it is NOT griefing.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmascolcha View Post
And why is it griefing? I think that this would fall under a gray area here, such as if its use is warranted, it is NOT griefing.
Everyone's description of "warranted" is going to be different, and even if you get a single definition, there's no automated means by which to enforce it. That's why you'll never see it happen.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Everyone's description of "warranted" is going to be different, and even if you get a single definition, there's no automated means by which to enforce it.
Actually, Cryptic can definitely enforce a certain look and feel on the player and they've done so in space and they can do so on the ground, their engine supports this fully. The fact is that currently this functionality isn't exposed to us Foundry authors, but... this could change.

Quote:
That's why you'll never see it happen.
Never say never...
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Here's a simple suggestion... why not simple have a dialog pop up.

"This quest utilises a custom costume for story purposes. Would you like your charater to use this costume?"

Change Costume - Don't Change
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazag
Here's a simple suggestion... why not simple have a dialog pop up.

"This quest utilises a custom costume for story purposes. Would you like your charater to use this costume?"

Change Costume - Don't Change
Since that's even better than a big, bold warning "THIS MISSION WILL CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER'S LOOK TO A PRE-DEFINED UNIFORM SELECTED BY THE MISSION AUTHOR, WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE STORY", I've got no problem with it. I actually like the elegance of your proposed solution.

Players will get to choose if they want their uniform forcibly changed, and authors get to put that little bit of RP into their stories.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Since that's even better than a big, bold warning "THIS MISSION WILL CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER'S LOOK TO A PRE-DEFINED UNIFORM SELECTED BY THE MISSION AUTHOR, WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE STORY", I've got no problem with it. I actually like the elegance of your proposed solution.

Players will get to choose if they want their uniform forcibly changed, and authors get to put that little bit of RP into their stories.
As long as choosing to not change the costume automatically drops the mission, I'm fine with that suggestion too!

If Cryptic is allowed to tell me that when my ship goes back to the 23rd century it changes from the nice ship I paid money for in the C-Store (just an example to show how there could even be money involved in this) to an ancient Klingon ship, I as a Foundry author want to be able to control the players ship and character(s) costume(s). It's only fair... if Cryptic wants authors to truly be able to control their own stories that is.