Lt. Commander
# 21
03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
As long as choosing to not change the costume automatically drops the mission, I'm fine with that suggestion too!

If Cryptic is allowed to tell me that when my ship goes back to the 23rd century it changes from the nice ship I paid money for in the C-Store (just an example to show how there could even be money involved in this) to an ancient Klingon ship, I as a Foundry author want to be able to control the players ship and character(s) costume(s). It's only fair... if Cryptic wants authors to truly be able to control their own stories that is.
So I absolutely HATE TNG. Does that mean I should be able to force players to visually fly a Defiant or an Intrepid in every mission I create just because I don't like the Galaxy? Again, see my previous comments concerning griefing.

*IF* (yes, really stressing that word) the devs ever added such an option (and I still firmly believe they won't), they would have to allow players to decline AND STILL PLAY THE MISSION. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You either get the option to customize the player and allow them to decline (so they keep their own preferences concerning customization), or you don't get it at all. Cryptic is never going to allow one player to force another player to look or act a certain way.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-31-2011, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
So I absolutely HATE TNG. Does that mean I should be able to force players to visually fly a Defiant or an Intrepid in every mission I create just because I don't like the Galaxy? Again, see my previous comments concerning griefing.

*IF* (yes, really stressing that word) the devs ever added such an option (and I still firmly believe they won't), they would have to allow players to decline AND STILL PLAY THE MISSION. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You either get the option to customize the player and allow them to decline (so they keep their own preferences concerning customization), or you don't get it at all. Cryptic is never going to allow one player to force another player to look or act a certain way.
I'm going to have to agree with him here. Its a good compromise, and yes, just because Cryptic can force players to have a certain appearance on their missions, doesn't mean we can too, as they are supposed to be known to be trustworthy with this type of stuff. When you give players control of missions, you need to set up certain restrictions or things can get out of hand. I hate having to say that, but its just something we have to live with when there is people who ruin it for the rest of us out there (griefers).
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
You can't have your cake and eat it too. You either get the option to customize the player and allow them to decline (so they keep their own preferences concerning customization), or you don't get it at all. Cryptic is never going to allow one player to force another player to look or act a certain way.
Actually this has been discussed frequently, especially in regards to anthropology missions with pre-warp cultures (i.e. change the clothing or ears)

Forcing you to look a certain way is already part of one Featured Episode, btw.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Actually this has been discussed frequently, especially in regards to anthropology missions with pre-warp cultures (i.e. change the clothing or ears)

Forcing you to look a certain way is already part of one Featured Episode, btw.
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah. You can try to justify it all you want. You could even be sincere. There's just always at least one player that would abuse such a thing. You're asking for the ability to alter a player's preference without notifying them or giving them an option to decline. Someone WILL grief with it. Even if you give them the option, then deny them access to the mission if they choose no, you're still affecting their gameplay. That last bit isn't griefing, but it sure isn't nice either. In fact, it's quite rude to say "you can't see my stuff unless you put a dress on for me".

As for it being in a featured episode, that's why I said Cryptic will never give any PLAYERS the option. Please re-read my previous post.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis View Post

Thank goodness you do not speak for Cryptic or for anyone but yourself. Lets just agree to disagree and see what Cryptic does to resolve this issue, or if they even want to give it the time of day.