Lt. Commander
W.I.P. (Work in Progress)

So many people have stated they would love to see a neutral faction that would involve, trading and the such. I have a solution to this. Make a neutral faction an archetype instead. Here's how it would work.

When you create a new character you are given a choice between a Starfleet career or life as a civilian. Now there would be three different jobs that civilians would be able to do (very much like the three classes engineering, tactical, science for both the Feds and KDF).

Trading, Colonizing, bounty hunting

Colonizing

Colonizing would place the player as a federation colonizer forman. The goal is to settle on a planet and create a thriving colony. The gameplay would work very much like a sim game. It would be mostly a HUD with statistical information and an overview image of your colony.

Gameplay wise, they would have to defend against Klingon attacks (players and NPCs) and other natural disasters. During attacks, the player co-ordinates security teams/ militia very much like an RTS game or they have an option to do a quick battle that has the computer do the most statistically likely outcome of the battle.

On top of this, colonizers would be able to explore other planets in the system and maybe even colonize the others. Land maps would need to be very large ( maybe twice the size of the Nopadan desert map) and maybe even allow the player to drive colony vehicles around or fly shuttles.

Colonies would work very much like how the duty roster system seems to work ATM.

Another deciding factor could be morale of the colony having an effect on every thing's effectiveness.

Trading

Now Traders would have an interesting gameplay. THe ranking system would actually increase the size of a player's trading company.

Rank Lieutenant: Freighter captain
Rank Lieutenant Commander: Convoy leader
Rank Commander: Trader
Rank Captain: Beaurecrat
Rank Rear Admiral: Executive
Rank Vice Admiral: Business Tycoon

Traders would have a tier system of ships like the current ship system. 5 tiers and such. However as a player progresses in rank, a fleet system (maybe using tech that will be developed for the Fleet Admiral perhaps?) where players form a larger trading company.

They start off in a freighter (all the ones currently in-game would be available plus more) and would have to bargain and trade. Unlike in the KDF or Starfleet, players would have to work for senior officers at trading ports and starbases.

Many more starbases, trading stations like Drozana and former Drozana would need to be added into the game. Traders would trade goods from planet to planet in a way very much like "Aid the Planet" missions.

-
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Reserved......
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
They've already said that the chances of non-military factions are... pretty much non-existent.

Besides, there's not even enough content for the KDF as stands, and the RSE is in the works...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Not to sound rude OP, but a neutral faction won't happen in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Not to sound rude OP, but a neutral faction won't happen in STO.
archtype not faction
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
archtype not faction
...uh...

Quote:
When you create a new character you are given a choice between a Starfleet career or life as a civilian. Now there would be three different jobs that civilians would be able to do (very much like the three classes engineering, tactical, science for both the Feds and KDF).

[etc]
All new classes, all new ranks, all new content, all new ships (since you won't be using Starfleet ships, but instead freighters and the like, right?).

It's a new faction.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
...uh...

All new classes, all new ranks, all new content, all new ships (since you won't be using Starfleet ships, but instead freighters and the like, right?).

It's a new faction.
IT's a WIP. It's night where I am and i'm very sleepy

One of the ideas I forgot to add was this.

Civvies would actually be allowed to join starfleet after ranking up a ways (a new tutorial when we get starfleet academy) and starfleet officers could maybe even retire?

You would still be federation but you just wouldn't be starfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Civvies would actually be allowed to join starfleet after ranking up a ways (a new tutorial when we get starfleet academy) and starfleet officers could maybe even retire?

You would still be federation but you just wouldn't be starfleet.
And it's still an all-new faction, you're just allowing defection between it and Starfleet. If anything this adds more complexity and issues to the idea and makes it even harder to implement.

The problem isn't that it and Starfleet are too separate or not separate enough, but the sheer amount of content that would have to be generated in order to make it viable, especially since a "civilian" faction couldn't rely on PvP (as it wouldn't make sense) and would basically have to be all PvE. In a year Cryptic hasn't been able to provide the KDF enough PvE content to make it viable for PvE-focused players and that was an already established Faction at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Of those listed, I think the only one that has been shown any kind of chance as a possibility by the Devs is the Trading one. I cannot point to the exact thread as it was a ways back (I think DStahl said it, it may be in an old "Ask Cryptic."), but this was discussed as possibly part of a Ferengi Faction idea IIRC. I would not expect to see anything like this for a long while though (well over a year).
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
I have compared this game to earth and beyond many times. Although missing some of the best qualities of that game, STO is great in its own right. I'm bringing up earth and beyond for. Specific reason. There were three occupations that you could have in that game (basically) simply put, exploration, combat, and trade.

We have the first two in some form or another, but the third not at all. I see the op's ideas, however, as mentioned the only one that has a chance of being implemented any time soon is the trade. Now on to the implementation. A new faction is not going to work. A new occupation will. We already have off duty uniforms, all we need is the cargo ship. If they can introduce ships easily then creating a cargo ship should be no problem, they already have one, I just hate the look of it. Just switch your ships and you could pick up trade missions. Only if you switch your ship though.

Then with trade runs with rewards in GPL (which will need some love for this) would be created much like the ore transport to outpost three in the deferie sector.

Of course the trade ships would have a limited warp speed, and weaponry (stay away from DSE's.)
It would be doable without the creation of a faction, just add more features (low priority because KDF still need help)