Lt. Commander
# 1 More Nooblet Questions
03-10-2011, 09:19 PM
So I'm preparing to head back into STO when I return home and after browsing the various bits of information of what's been changed since last played. When I played MMO's crafting always had a special place in my heart, mainly because i felt like I was doing a service by providing items to other players and building a small fortune. I heard the crafting here has changed dramatically. May I ask how?

I was also wondering if there is or will be large group pve content? I know there's the PVP of Federation vs. Klingon (which I hope is more balanced now) but doing something on a large scale would be fun.

On a PVP note, what is there to do PVP-wise? Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2011, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmane View Post
So I'm preparing to head back into STO when I return home and after browsing the various bits of information of what's been changed since last played. When I played MMO's crafting always had a special place in my heart, mainly because i felt like I was doing a service by providing items to other players and building a small fortune. I heard the crafting here has changed dramatically. May I ask how?
Crafting now yields many more different items in all rarities. For each item, you will need one Schematic and a pre-defined number of certain data samples. The Schematics are made with 10 of the lowest tier (red) data samples found in Delta Volanis and Arucanis Arm. The remaining samples you need for each item are usually tied to the tier of the item you craft. (Like Mk X items require samples found in the B'tran Cluster and Mk II items require samples from Delta Volanis.) The best items also require several of the rarer Particle Traces, which like ordinary data samples are collected from scanning anomalies. On average 1 out of every 10 times you complete the scanning minigame, you'll also get one of the 10 types of particle traces.

Getting all the necessary data samples can be a lot of work, and as such there is a good market for most of the crafted items among players who choose not to invest in "farming" for samples. Particle traces and samples also fetch decent prices on the exchange.

Quote:
I was also wondering if there is or will be large group pve content? I know there's the PVP of Federation vs. Klingon (which I hope is more balanced now) but doing something on a large scale would be fun.

As a purely PvE player myself, the best locations for large group PvE remain the fleet actions (like Starbase 24) which can be done by up to around 20 players at the same time. Special Taskforce (STF) missions are for groups of 5 players and are end game content that requires coordinated team work.

Hope you enjoy the changes!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2011, 04:12 AM
Quote:
There's a variety of both space and ground maps available, of two main varieties:
> Kill 'X' ammount of opposing team
> Control/have 'X' ammount of area/influence

PvP queues got a slight overhaul about half a year ago; though nothing major.

The main problem with PvP is lack of players.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Sadly, PvP is not very populated by players. It's best to just join a couple queues, then go on with what you were doing, hoping you get a prompt after 10 minutes to join a battle.

The only "open" pvp is at Kerrat. There are objectives to be done by both Fed and Klink players, but some players just use it as an open pvp arena and ignore the objectives. There's no score keeping for killing other players, so it's just kind of a free form pvp.