Lt. Commander
# 1 C-Store ships: dodgy deals!
03-11-2011, 12:54 AM
This has been bugging me ever since I hit VA and got my intrepid refit.

There are a lot of nifty ships in the C-Store. I don't have a problem with them being there, and I fully appreciate Cryptic's business model with regard to their cost.

The big problem is they are starting to cross the line from being fluff to having actual in-game effect. Cloaking, Multi-Vector, etc. are new abilities that may or may not have a viable in-game use. It is going beyond fluff content and into game features.

Now here's my problem:

When it was just ship costumes, I could try before I purchased. I could look at screenshots of the ship from various angles and decide whether I wanted it or not. When I purchased it, I was doing so based on an informed decision.

Now new gameplay features are being presented that are only available with a significant investment. Gameplay features that may be totally useless to me. I don't know, because the only way I can find out is by investing heavily. I'm buying something where I have no idea what it is or does - at the cost of either real $s or a significant amount of emblems.

Incidentally the same issue crops up with the freebie ship token you get at VA. You have no idea what you're buying, and no realistic way of correcting a bad purchase.

We need a way to know what we're buying or it starts to smack of a dodgy street vendor peddling faulty goods and driving off with your money before you can complain.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidGloves
Now new gameplay features are being presented that are only available with a significant investment. Gameplay features that may be totally useless to me. I don't know, because the only way I can find out is by investing heavily. I'm buying something where I have no idea what it is or does - at the cost of either real $s or a significant amount of emblems.
All the stuff you're talking about is available to try out for free on Tribble for a period of time before they move to Holodeck and into the C-Store.

You can try it all out on Tribble to see if it'd be worth it to buy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
All the stuff you're talking about is available to try out for free on Tribble for a period of time before they move to Holodeck and into the C-Store.

You can try it all out on Tribble to see if it'd be worth it to buy.
So from the perspective of a new player, how do I try out the galaxy refit now?

How do I test out the Nebula now? The Excelsior? Can -all- of these be tested without cost on Tribble right now?

If my only option to test something out that I may want to -buy- is to grind up 500 emblems and then copy over to the test server, that's a ****-poor method of trying something out. Especially since I may not -want- to grind 500 emblems. I may want to part with $s instead.

Why is it wrong for me to want to actually see the product I'm buying?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
There's been a few posts about trying ships out before purchase. It would certainly be a really REALLY good thing, especially for C Store ships.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:

There are a lot of nifty ships in the C-Store. I don't have a problem with them being there, and I fully appreciate Cryptic's business model with regard to their cost.

The big problem is they are starting to cross the line from being fluff to having actual in-game effect. Cloaking, Multi-Vector, etc. are new abilities that may or may not have a viable in-game use. It is going beyond fluff content and into game features.

Now here's my problem:

When it was just ship costumes, I could try before I purchased. I could look at screenshots of the ship from various angles and decide whether I wanted it or not. When I purchased it, I was doing so based on an informed decision.

Incidentally the same issue crops up with the freebie ship token you get at VA. You have no idea what you're buying, and no realistic way of correcting a bad purchase.

We need a way to know what we're buying or it starts to smack of a dodgy street vendor peddling faulty goods and driving off with your money before you can complain.
Search YouTube. Whenever something new gets released, at least one player posts a tutorial of it there. That's how I got to see how MVAM worked without having to download the tribble patch.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasidy
Search YouTube. Whenever something new gets released, at least one player posts a tutorial of it there. That's how I got to see how MVAM worked without having to download the tribble patch.
That is clearly not the same. Learning how to use MVAM is completely different from actually trying it in combat.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2011, 07:09 PM
The best advice I can give is to copy a va1 char over to tribble before you spend your ship plaque for the refit ship
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
That is clearly not the same. Learning how to use MVAM is completely different from actually trying it in combat.
I know you didn't mean for that to sound as rude as it did, but I digress. It's not that different if you pay attention to the videos and use common sense. The video I saw on MVAM shows combat, how the AI sections move, what each different type of seperation does, ect. Knowing that the stats are the same as any other Prometheus vessel, it's not that hard to grasp how it works.

Or there's Tribble. But I thought this forum as about circumventing Tribble and being upset you can't try the ships for free on the Holodeck when there's no reason you can't just patch Tribble and test drive it

Ah, I apologize. Every time I return to these forums I get testy.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasidy
I know you didn't mean for that to sound as rude as it did, but I digress. It's not that different if you pay attention to the videos and use common sense. The video I saw on MVAM shows combat, how the AI sections move, what each different type of seperation does, ect. Knowing that the stats are the same as any other Prometheus vessel, it's not that hard to grasp how it works.
I didn't get a rude or testy vibe at all. Anyways, It's one thing to see a video, and know a bunch of numbers, or what skills it can use. It's entirely different to actually test those skill combinations out yourself, to really get a feel for the ship, without actually flying it. That's why they allow people to test drive cars. Sure, it go 0-60 in what ever, and if you turn the wheel it steers the car, but how does it feel, how does it handle, in real life? That's something you can't get from a video, and when money is on the line, it really ought to be there.
Lt. Commander
Quote:

Now here's my problem:

Make a petition for test flights. Try a ship for a couple missions and see if its any good.