Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
I guess Ferengi are last word freaks.
no kidding
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Ed
1. ATI card issue took almost a year to aseem to get any kind of seriosu response, BTW thanks for the work now being done but you get my point.
When I asked Zero about it, she said ti was due to not being replicable on their end during this period.

Quote:
2. Difficulty slider is breaking ground missions to the point that playing at Elite is impossible for any exploration ground missions. This BTW has been discussed since the difficulty slider was in BETA.
I can't speak to this. it's a longstanding issue but with dstahl saying they'd nuke missions with bugged mobs, I doubt they'll be fixed but rather be replaced entirely.

Quote:
3. We are hearing there will be no Featured Episode until the next season release which is a few months away.
Part of the internal debate at cryptic is whether to wait for the new technology in Season 4 for ground combat or to rush one out the door without those improvements.

Quote:
All of these seem to point to a staff that is just not large enough to handle the workload. We all appreciate the work you guys do but there needs to be some way to get you guys some staff because while we all look forward to the future, the hear and now needs some attention.
Cryptic is hiring more programmers, last I heard. However, longstanding bugs are not new in software development be it a game or be it an operating system made on more money than Cryptic has ever seen.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
I guess Ferengi are last word freaks.
Apparently not. It seems you are the "last word freak".
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage_Wolf
Wait, who had the last word again?

And to reply the question - their team could be bigger. They are hiring. But if no one qualified applies...

Any prospective employee would be good at reading the forums and think about if they are willing to do the tremendous amount of work Cryptic employees seem to do. Maybe it's only Gozer, dstahl and CapnLogan that seem to do stuff in their private time, but... I doubt it. I am a software developer (but not a game developer), and I am not sure if I could commit myself to that kind of intensity and work schedule for a year or more. And I don't even have kids!

I'd rather play more STO and appreciate the work put into it. (And criticize it like the spoiled brat I am when I am not satisfied. )
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage_Wolf
LOL...

Can I be the Last Word Troll? :p
Lt. Commander
They only have around 200 working for Cryptic, divided amongst STO, Champs, and the new Neverwinter, which since it's still in development will be getting much more than their share of the pie. Of course some of them are marketing dudes, office help, and other non'-dev jobs as well. Capn Logan is the only shp artist. Jheing and Gozer are two of the few content devs.

I love game design. I've hung out with and followed internet lists of game devs for more than a decade. I used to room with a developer. I know a lot about MMO design. They wouldn't hire me for a moment and if they did I wouldn't get to do the design work I'd like. Very, very few people at a game dev house actually make those game design decisions. Only those at the top get to do that, and I don't code.

This is fairly typical of MMO live teams. That they get as much done as they do with what they have is a testament to the drive and hard work and labor of love stuff that they do here. But boy do I wish they had more. I wish some millionaire player just decided to fund more content guys and an extra artist or two so we could get more of these featured series. Right now we'll be lucky to get 5 a year, probably 4. One episode took a third of the team 3 weeks to make.

I really hope the Foundry tools work out well enough to make compelling content. If we can harness the time and effort and creativity of the playerbase in a meaningful way, we'll be able to fill in the gaps that the dev team can't because of lack of manpower.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-11-2011, 08:57 AM
I've worked in my share of MMOs. Tiny ones that are soon seeing 14 years of run and huge ones that broke all records.

All MMOs have bugs that plague them for a long time, all MMOs have these one or two issues that just will not go away. Stuck-In-Animation bugs. Server transition issues. Stability problems. Mechanics that break. Technical issues.
Sometimes it can be even more frustrating. I've seen bugs that the Devs knew how to pin point but could not fix because that would cause an even bigger issue.

I am not talking about any MMO in specific. But throwing money / staff at problems sadly does not resolve issues faster or, in some cases, ever.
We're hiring (links were given) if anyone is interested, but we're not dragging along, either. The teams are doing a great job and I am sure they would love a little cheering-on I could link to them. The every-day doom is just as frustrating as a bug that cannot be found or fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
I've worked in my share of MMOs. Tiny ones that are soon seeing 14 years of run and huge ones that broke all records.

All MMOs have bugs that plague them for a long time, all MMOs have these one or two issues that just will not go away. Stuck-In-Animation bugs. Server transition issues. Stability problems. Mechanics that break. Technical issues.
Sometimes it can be even more frustrating. I've seen bugs that the Devs knew how to pin point but could not fix because that would cause an even bigger issue.

I am not talking about any MMO in specific. But throwing money / staff at problems sadly does not resolve issues faster or, in some cases, ever.
We're hiring (links were given) if anyone is interested, but we're not dragging along, either. The teams are doing a great job and I am sure they would love a little cheering-on I could link to them. The every-day doom is just as frustrating as a bug that cannot be found or fixed.
i do agree with what you said, you guys do a great job for the most part

can i make a suggestion though? nuke the mission cage of fire. ever since launch its been buggy as hell. its been adressed and seen some fixes, but still buggy as hell

just get rid of it
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone

Though I understand the point of your post, and agree, I have to ask for elaboration on the statement I highlighted. Lets take the subject of new content, for example. How would having more people developing content NOT increase the speed at which it is made? Or how would having more people hunting and fixing bugs NOT increase the speed at which they are fixed? I suppose if those people didnt work well together, but lets assume they did.