Lt. Commander
# 1 Figures of your Trek?
03-11-2011, 06:55 AM
As I was walking through the local toys r us i happened upon the small and lonely Star Trek section They were Primarily based on the recent movie, but it got me thinking. What would you give for STO toys? The tech is there. There are websites that let you make 3d printings of computer images. Images like your captain and or ship even. Even the Rockband Games website had a Feature that let you Select pose and instument and for a fee would send you a small statue of the figure. Doesn't WOW do something along those lines as well?

Personally i'd rather see figures either 6' or 3 3/4 scale with articulations but think of it. You log on to a page on the STO site, pick either captain or crew member. Select the uniform, with or with out kits, Armor would i guess eb uniform option. Maybe 3-5 accessories you could choose from like weapons (rifles, hand held, melee), pets (targ, tribbles, drones), equipment (tricorder, medkit, generator/turret).

It's a huge opportunity to make money as well as a great way for fans to enjoy getting into the game even more. For Custom figures People pay way more then regular store bought figures. For example a 3 3/4 is usually what, 7-9 dollars? 6' is more like 10-13? The Rockband figures were going for roughly what $70 each? And they just sat there looking cool. All it would take would be a 3d printer, some people to paint using the ingame models. I'd Glady pay $60-$70 for a figure of my Captain, as he looks in game, with his equipment from in game. Relatively easy money for Cryptic and CBS.

What are your thoughts on this? Am i just a crazy A-hole or is this a gold mine of Trek Merchandising? Other than toys, what else would you possible want from an online Cryptic store that sold more than online items?

Also this could work the same for other cryptic games like Champions as well as any other games further down the line.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2011, 07:04 AM
If I felt the price was reasonable, I would definitely plunk down the funds for models of my characters ships. Those would be neat to have on my desk here at work.

I have seen this on other MMOs. I would have to find some links to post.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2011, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't mind such a deal with my customized ships. I know the Spore folks have a deal with a 3d printer company to do this. They make little statues and they're not too pricey, 4" for $49 in full color.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2011, 07:29 AM
I used to have the Playmates Q and Hugh of Borg when I was a kid. Personally, I was always a ship person myself.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Yes, yes, and yes! I would happily part with my $ for a model of my characters or their ships. Reasonable price for me would be from $50 - $75... depending on the quality.

There are other games that do this, so its definitely feasable. The question would be the quality/size of the model. Would be nice to have one that has some detail to it and is well made, rather than rushed/sloppy looking ones.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2011, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't mind having my captains on my desk. So long as I could choose the pose.

Such as my Liberated Borg mid-stride with her tetryon split-beam held cowboy style over her right shoulder.

Or my Ferangi Doctor running for his dear life with his arms waiving over his head wildly, mouth open as if still screaming "MOOGIE!", tricorder and hypo clutched in both hands. This would be in commemoration of the Terradome run with my fleet where about a dozen undine jumped me after spawning in from a moment of relative peace and no one on my away team noticed until I kited them past yelling "I WANT MOOGIE!" over skype. Yeah. It was great.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
Or my Ferangi Doctor running for his dear life with his arms waiving over his head wildly, mouth open as if still screaming "MOOGIE!", tricorder and hypo clutched in both hands. This would be in commemoration of the Terradome run with my fleet where about a dozen undine jumped me after spawning in from a moment of relative peace and no one on my away team notice until I kited them past yelling "I WANT MOOGIE!" over skype. Yeah. It was great.
ROFL. God, this has been the week where I needed a laugh like that.

As for a figure of my characters, probably not; except for Transformers, I've never really been intrested in action figures. Now, models of my ships, I'd been on in a heartbeat.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
I used to have the Playmates Q and Hugh of Borg when I was a kid. Personally, I was always a ship person myself.
I still have a few of the old Borg Hirogen/Klingon figures Art Asylum put out years ago. They are all still in the box.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I'd probably want my Captain sitting on my desk With the TR-116 and the Exogenic Sight taking aim at some unseen enemy. That or dual wielding disruptor pistols..... MkXII of course lol

how cool would this be though? For you ship, it would have a clear stand to hold it like mid flight, BUT to equal the value to the exadurated Price of the figures, it would have it's own style of "accessories"? I'm talking about a few hull plates that can be popped out to reveal "battle damage" or a few holes where you can attach things like beams or a fired topedo? Even shuttle craft could be an add on.

all it would it would take would be a page on the site that let you choose options for what you were wanting, but then the more you added the more cost there was. Imagine it like that build a bear shop. You can just walk in and get a premade or just a basic for cheap, but then you could take the time online, customizing, adding weapons or parts, and each thing was maybe an additional 20-50 cents depending on what it was. Hell, even Dominos pizza has a feature like that on their website. It's a very simular concept for the webpage. They could even offer premades of older characters like Spock or Picard. You could even custom order figures you'd want that they never made. Like assimilated Geordi Laforge or a Federation klingon that WASN'T Worf.

I seriously think this is a worthwhile idea for cryptic to get into. Especially if the figures were compatable with older sets like the bridges or engineering room. I still Have the TNG shuttle craft floating around somewhere which could always use a new pilot lol.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-12-2011, 05:40 PM
FigurePrints does (or did, not sure if they still do - the site hasn't been updated in a while) something similar for World of ********. They made sculptures of your characters. You can customize 'em on their website, put 'em in whatever pose and on whatever pedestal you want, then put in the order. Trouble is, it costs $129, lol.

I used to collect the old toys from TNG...not sure where most of 'em are now, since we left California. Probably down in the basement. But I had stuff like the transporter, the 1701-D, stuff like that...in my room, I have two fairly big figures, one a Klingon warrior with a bat'leth, the other a Borg drone, both posed like they're fighting each other; the Art Asylum light-and-sound ships (the battle-damaged 1701 from Search for Spock that I had Walter Koenig sign at the Trek convention in Las Vegas one year, as well as the regular 1701-A and 1701-E). I also have a bunch of the little ships made in Japan a few years back that I bought at the Vegas convention over a couple years, some of 'em with details that look like a five-year-old did 'em, and some that look like they were done by masters.