Lt. Commander
As I was reading the Captain bound to ship type thread. I realized what I was really interest in was the part from the "Ask Cryptic" about dividing space and ground skill tree into separate trees. I think that is a great idea! I believe one of the reasons ground gets such a bad review is people aren't spec into at all. Further the first couple times they are exposed to Ground combat they have very minimal idea of what to do, and very few tools to effect it with; Given that they are using what are clearly the worst kits in the game.

So break out the trees so there is not a competition for points and help people realized with a little work ground can be a whole lot of fun!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Yes, that would be awsome.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2011, 11:56 AM
/Signed

This is a logical suggestion, so long as the current space skill cap remains as it is.

It would be particularly execrable to see a forced 90/10 split of the current cap or somesuch.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2011, 12:02 PM
We don't know the specifics of the upcoming ground combat changes, but I do hope that it has a seperate ground skill tree.

Having two seperate skill trees would even increase survivabily of inexperienced players who participate in PVP, who are at the mercy of those who either specialize in Space or Ground combat.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I hope this or something like this will be implemented at some point. Possibly with a "larger" ground skill tree so there are more ways to develop your character and your away team there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I hope this or something like this will be implemented at some point. Possibly with a "larger" ground skill tree so there are more ways to develop your character and your away team there.
Yeah, I really am hoping for a real martial arts branch. I'd love to Kirk Flip Klingon Swordmasters.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Major huge ditto.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-11-2011, 12:50 PM
After giving it more thought this would be a great way to add more skill points without messing with the over all level cap. In effect adding a ground skill point system, you could allow players to accumulate a separate pool of skill solo linked to ground missions. This could add more life to current level cap as well as all future level caps.

Also another cool thing might be to add traits for maxing out a ground skill group. Similar to the way you can add training skills. So if you max out Soldier you gain the Soldier Ground trait, martial arts adds warrior, asto-physics adds astro-physicist etc.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Certainly an interesting idea, and I'd love to see some detailed suggestions. However, if/when they add the ranks of Admiral and Fleet Admiral, the skill point cap will likely go up. Even now, it's possible to have a good build in both areas. With a boosted skill cap, you could have an even better well-rounded build, so I'm not entirely sure a split is needed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I won't discount this as a good idea. BUT you can easily spec into ground and space if you spend your skill points efficiently and wisely. I think the problem is more with the kits. You are forced into 4 abilities that may or may not allow you to streamline your build. If we could pick our 4 kit powers, we could use ones that use more of the same skills and efficiently spec into ground better.