Lt. Commander
# 1 UGC. Will it be big?
03-11-2011, 09:43 AM
I was reading one of my favourite author's blogs today and he reposted an article from several years ago that's very relevant to Cryptic and Star Trek Online in general:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...ospective.html

Quote:
Another likely way forward is user-created content. Looking at the user contributed content for Neverwinter Nights, it's hard to separate the game's success from it's players' enthusiasm for DMing. One thing that's certain is that any games company that wants to make a profit is going to invest heavily in DM and content creation tools. The first game company to figure out how to recruit and reward users for contributing content and admin skills to their realm is going to win big.

Charles Stross
The Foundry is one of very few user generated content systems that actually allows for storytelling as opposed to randomised mission generation. Will it prove to be a big step forward?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robingbrown View Post
Will it prove to be a big step forward?
That's the reason for Cryptic creating the Foundry. A bit unnecessary to ask the question, imo.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Will it prove to be a big step forward?
Log on Tribble and try it out yourself
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2011, 09:49 AM
the first video game to allow the end users to create content was, i believe, valve, when they released Half-Life, and the source-coding for it.

my terminology and/or facts behind this may be a bit off
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
While modding is UGC it doesn't really tell much of a story does it. Or at least I haven't seen any mods for FPS's like Half-Life that tell a story.

There were a lot of 'adventure packs' created for the Neverwinter Nights series of games and even some persistent worlds (albeit a bit wonky at times).

Content is not just graphics/more guns/more ships/more mosnters it's also plot and story.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2011, 10:15 AM
huge!
if you can read this then you are too bored!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
While modding is UGC it doesn't really tell much of a story does it. Or at least I haven't seen any mods for FPS's like Half-Life that tell a story.

There were a lot of 'adventure packs' created for the Neverwinter Nights series of games and even some persistent worlds (albeit a bit wonky at times).

Content is not just graphics/more guns/more ships/more mosnters it's also plot and story.
So log on Tribble and test some of the missions people have made. See for yourself whether it lives up to the hype.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Depends on how many people want to work for Cryptic without getting paid.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibrizzo View Post
the first video game to allow the end users to create content was, i believe, valve, when they released Half-Life, and the source-coding for it.

my terminology and/or facts behind this may be a bit off
Hah, no not really. Many other games did it years before Valve; though Valve certainly should get credit for supporting it so strongly.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-11-2011, 10:38 AM
i think its going to be huge.

the ability to create your own star trek story is just incredible. its something i never expected to see in such a well established IP.

I know UGC can be a bit hit and miss but im really impressed with the tools and ive been impressed with the level of quality ive already seen from the community already. once this things goes live and everybody jumps in all the way i expect to see some stunning stories.