Hmmm, I think, and don't feel offended, nice rainbows and the fireworks when your cruiser blows up will also be nice. Take a look at the Engineering Captain and Cruiser Sub-Forums.
- stick with 1 (One) energy weapon type
- Dual Beam Banks on a Star Cruiser require additional abilities like Aux to Dampeners to be really effective
- Arrays and turrets are ok as long as you use the right weapons consoles
- 2 different types of torpedoes, not more. Look at Quantums, maybe Photons and/or Tricobalts
- Tactical: consider High Yield 1, Beam Overload 2; or go without High Yield and put a Tac Team 1 in
- Engineering: get rid of Reverse Shield Polarity: long cooldown and only a few seconds up
- DEM is only good at 3, the other 2 just don't have enough punch
- you want 2 copies of EPtS (2x3 or 1x3 and 1x2)
- try to get Aux2SIF 2 instead of 1 (or even 3 from the exchange)
-Science: get rid of Jam Sensors: you are a Star Cruiser, you have to get as much enemy fire as you can to protect your fellow escorts not being invisible
- if you really wanna go with a Tractor Beam use 1, 2 is a waste (as skill points in tractor beam skill)
- try Hazard Emitters and Transfer Shield Strength insteadt of Jam Sensors and Tractor Beam
- maybe a copy of Science Team instead of Polarize Hull for PVP / situations with many SNBs
I would pick Excelsior, because in the ST: Voy episode "Message in a bottle", the Nebula class got smoked by the Prometheus. The Excelsior, while old can pack a lot of firepower and has ample space for an engineering officer.