Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
The only change (ignoring the addition of ships)?

The loss of the Space Assault map/gametype.

We've gone from the horribly imbalanced PvP that was pre-Season 1.2 (with FBP instaganks and SNB/VM shutdowns) to a relatively decent period, and then now to a horribly garbled disaster of the past few months.

I would like to see some changes and additions to PvP. Here's a short list of what I feel is wrong:
  • We've gotten nothing since launch. No new maps, no new game types. (Edit: It was pointed out to me that a solitary Ground map was added)
  • We've LOST a map since launch.
  • We've been told "Wait for Season 4, it will be ubar!" for a while now, but all indications point towards that being a Ground revamp.
  • NPC Spam. It's out of control. It was bad before, and now we've added Scorpion Fighters and Cloaked Tractor Beam Mines with this latest Series.
  • Yo-yo health: You can go from 2% hull to a brand-spanking new 100% and full shields in no time flat
  • Resistance stacking. It's crazy.

Dakma makes some very valid points here.

(I'm positive I'm forgetting things to add to this list, so please feel free to post some things that need changed and I'll gladly edit the OP. It's late and I'm tired )
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Actually, didn't they add the Shanty town map since launch?

Either way, I agree with your premise, PvP has been largely ignored as far as content has been concerned, and the current state with the pet/mine spam is ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
Are they out of their mines ????

First of all this is not a bash Cryptic post, not in any way or fashion. I as a customer and other fellow fleetmates and fellow pvp'ers just have a few questions we would like answered at the devs earliest convenience.

Here are my questions and I will patiently await your reply:

1) Do any of the Cryptic Devs even bother to PVP in this game at all ?

I am just asking because if you do, have you tried to even play a match with all the SPAM you have added to this game in recent months ? I would like those that have please share their views....

2) Do you understand how all this SPAM negatively affects PVP gameplay, as much as it also affects a person who plays this game and doesn't have a high end computer once all this SPAM is littered on the map ?

3) What have you done for the PVP community since this game came out a year ago considering one faction relies on it for leveling ? (Besides fixing the QUE which of course should have been fixed before release.) Why was the Assault map removed ?

I am sure you are aware that as it stands right now there is not a lot for a player to do end game wise except PVP, and its one of the ways you keep people playing your game after they reach VA 1, for reasons that should need no explaining.

4) I have to ask you Mr Stahl, and I mean this with all sincerity are you trying to run the PVP community away from this game ?

5) I have seen many questions raised about PVP in the "Ask Cryptic" question thread since it was started, I can't say that you have ever answered one of them with any type of committed answer, was that intentional ?

Honestly if you want this game to succeed on PVE alone, please voice that to those of us that cling on to PVP gameplay in this game, if that is the case we can just move on to a different game. I for one, will move on with no bashing or anger if this is truly the case, I would just like some honest answers, is that too much to ask ?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakma View Post

First of all this is not a bash Cryptic post, not in any way or fashion. I as a customer and other fellow fleetmates and fellow pvp'ers just have a few questions we would like answered at the devs earliest convenience.

I am just asking because if you do, have you tried to even play a match with all the SPAM you have added to this game in recent months ? I would like those that have please share their views....

2) Do you understand how all this SPAM negatively affects PVP gameplay, as much as it also affects a person who plays this game and doesn't have a high end computer once all this SPAM is littered on the map ?

3) What have you done for the PVP community since this game came out a year ago considering one faction relies on it for leveling ? (Besides fixing the QUE which of course should have been fixed before release.) Why was the Assault map removed ?

I am sure you are aware that as it stands right now there is not a lot for a player to do end game wise except PVP, and its one of the ways you keep people playing your game after they reach VA 1, for reasons that should need no explaining.

4) I have to ask you Mr Stahl, and I mean this with all sincerity are you trying to run the PVP community away from this game ?

5) I have seen many questions raised about PVP in the "Ask Cryptic" question thread since it was started, I can't say that you have ever answered one of them with any type of committed answer, was that intentional ?

Honestly if you want this game to succeed on PVE alone, please voice that to those of us that cling on to PVP gameplay in this game, if that is the case we can just move on to a different game. I for one, will move on with no bashing or anger if this is truly the case, I would just like some honest answers, is that too much to ask ?
What he said.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2011, 09:42 PM
On a much more basic level, I'm really unhappy with the communication and response time on all of these issues. Representatives are obviously around here regularly. Just look at the number of closed threads and increase in frequency of infractions being spread around for bogus offenses. Why not use those representatives to help bridge this communication gap? Let us know that we are being heard instead of trying to shut us up.

The truth is that we could have stopped some of this madness if someone had just taken the time to listen.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakma View Post

What he said (2) !!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
The truth is that we could have stopped some of this madness if someone had just taken the time to listen.
Agreed! Very True!
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2011, 10:33 PM
What they said!
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
On a much more basic level, I'm really unhappy with the communication and response time on all of these issues. Representatives are obviously around here regularly. Just look at the number of closed threads and increase in frequency of infractions being spread around for bogus offenses. Why not use those representatives to help bridge this communication gap? Let us know that we are being heard instead of trying to shut us up.

For some reason, they think negative critism = spam. It doesn't Normal people take negative, but polite, critism as something to improve on. Not Cryptic. I'm a lifer, but that doesn't mean squat as far as my input is concerned (apperntly). They brush it aside, despite my having said 'minvested in this game, and would like to help improve it so it stands the test of time" via my wallet. I'm calling for a full economic boycott of this game until they clean up their act, fix the bugs that have lingered since the beginning, new ones that popped up (the decloak while in dialogue bug), and close the spamming loopholes in pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Quote:

I don't think that a GMMeeko or GMTyshien can do much to community with us. I think they are just moderates, not community feedback guys. I might be wrong.

That said, yes, I would like to see a more active presence of some Devs here. Everyone wants that for his pet topic, of course. What does make us warrant a special place might be the question? Are we "worth" anything to Cryptic over any other random assortment of players? Do we feel we are worth less then another random assortment of players?

Quote:
For some reason, they think negative critism = spam.
Actually I don't think that is it - they might really believe there are people repeating the topic too often. But on the other hand - i thougtt that was just something like cross-posting. Meh. Discussing moderation is ultimately futile, I suppose. File your community support tickets or PM Stormshade if it bothers you. Discussing on the forums just leads to infractions and bannings. Not worth it.
I believe that Cryptic is willing to accept criticism on the board, because I see a lot of threads full of criticism all the time.

The trick is to avoid hostility. Unfortunately, it is hard for many to avoid this because they are really annoyed by what they are critisizing and expressing that often leads to "harsh language" - that will get you moderated.

I am saying thsi: I am very annoyed by the addition of Cloaked Tractor Beam Mines to PvP. We joked about the possibility and how terrible it would be if it happened. And no one took notice apparantly. We always said there is too much "spam" going on, and so far nothing at all has happened. The Carrier was not explicitely nerfed due to "spam" but due to concerns it was overpowered. (Seemingly by exactly the same crowd of people that now say "Tractor Beam Mines" are fine. But I might be wrong. It could be a different subset of non-hardcore PvP players.)

Whatever it is. I am not happy. I will keep avoiding language that gets me into trouble and I suggest others doing the same. Argue based on more objective criteria. We've got plenty of PvPers here that know how to explain the metagame (better then me for sure) and can explain why this mines are bad. We've got plenty of PvPers that can talk meaningful about gameplay concerns and game design as well. Talk about it. Explain why Tractor Beam Mines are fail.