Lt. Commander
# 11
03-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager316 View Post
Have Starfleet HQ a social hub with a tutorial FDC mission. Also, that should be the place for promotion ceremonies.
And change the person doing the promoting, You would NEVER be promoted by a junior officer, just doesn't make sense to me.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-13-2011, 05:20 AM
The academy would only make sense under certain conditions:

It is part of a new/alternate tutorial.
It is part of a mission that leads you there, similar to the one we had in TNG
where the Enterprise returns to earth after the shuttle accident with Wesley.

Starfleet Command would make a lot of sense, as would in fact Paris, the place of
government.

It would be ideal for diplomatic missions, especially when you have to deal with alien ambassadors who come to Earth.
Those won't go to ESD, they'd go to Paris.

I think it's pretty ironic how the Klignons got no facilities in orbit but can go down to the planet, while Starfleet has ESD but no access to earth.

I'd say it would be best if both problems were taken care of at the same time.

It would add a certain symmetry.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-13-2011, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentTyler View Post
And change the person doing the promoting, You would NEVER be promoted by a junior officer, just doesn't make sense to me.
I think that they meant Starfleet Command. Although there are admirals that command at the academy so it's not completely inaccurate.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-13-2011, 05:54 AM
Do you think Boothby will still be there? lol.

I think either his son or better still a holographic version of him should be there... after all the real one's gotta be pushing daisies in the STO timeline.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnwan View Post
Its not like the academy played anything more then a tiny tiny part of Kirks, Picards and Sisko's adventures. Nor did they frequent the academy to hand pick recruits to serve under them.
It does sound like your against the overall idea but i think you've stumbled upon something.

With the release of the duty roster system, why not include a mini game of some sort that effect the quality of the officers you receive. The logical place for such a game would be starfleet command. Spend a little time doing favors for an assignment officer, or reviewing some reports (we'd have to make this fun of course) and the outcome would be higher qualified or specialized officers assigned to your ship.

Now granted, there would have to be more to this idea then just a mini game. How about breaking up the insanely useless captains table to put a federation one on earth and a klingon one on another part of qo'nos or a space station for qo'nos? that would and a little more 'feel' to how important the locations would be.

you could add a few missions or dailies to the areas and finish it off with some of the amazing graphical work the dev team has been making recently and i'm sure a large portion of the player base would be happy.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Praetori View Post
It does sound like your against the overall idea but i think you've stumbled upon something.

With the release of the duty roster system, why not include a mini game of some sort that effect the quality of the officers you receive. The logical place for such a game would be starfleet command. Spend a little time doing favors for an assignment officer, or reviewing some reports (we'd have to make this fun of course) and the outcome would be higher qualified or specialized officers assigned to your ship.
Just what id want, a ship full of Wesley Crushers. No, the academy is not the logical place for new officers. With the exception of the JJ verse. There were very few instances of anyone on the shows going straight from the academy to thier place under one of the famed captains.

As stated previously, I can see more use from a star fleet command setting far more then I could an academy setting. But even that would be little more then a duplicate of ESD so im not sure what it would actually add to the game other then set dressing.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Just what id want, a ship full of Wesley Crushers. No, the academy is not the logical place for new officers. With the exception of the JJ verse. There were very few instances of anyone on the shows going straight from the academy to thier place under one of the famed captains.
Except for the JJ Kirk, noone ever did.
And this case a friend of mine put this way: no matter how much BS you pull, no matter whether you're less than an inch close to getting booted out of the academy all you got to do is save the planet and they'll give you your own ship.

Quote:
As stated previously, I can see more use from a star fleet command setting far more then I could an academy setting. But even that would be little more then a duplicate of ESD so im not sure what it would actually add to the game other then set dressing.
The obvious problem is of course that since there is only ESD, Cryptic put all vital functions there.
In an ideal setting they'd seperate some function to ESD and some functions to SFC and others to Paris.
Then the transporter room in ESD would also make sense again.
I still can't quite fathom why I'm materializing in the transporter rooom of a facility my ship just docked at...
Anyway then you could use it to quickly (as quickly as the server lets you load anyway) go from ESD to Paris to San Francisco.
Then it would make sense to place the Admiralty and even the club on the planet while the shipyard and vendors in ESD with dipliomats like the Deferi Ambassador in Paris.