Lt. Commander
# 1 Next Generation Love?
03-12-2011, 08:50 PM
In Star Trek Online we have made contact with Scotty, Kirk, Bones, and Spock all from the Original Series, but where has the love for the Next Generation been?

It makes no sense to me that we are playing a game that takes place after the most recent Next Generation movie (and the future half of the new reboot) yet all the important cameos come from a generation hundreds of years in the past...

The storyline developed for the most recent movie shows that spock has been trapped in the past so perhaps seeing future him is out of the question, unless there is a special storyline for returning him to the present.

But what about Jean-Luc, Data, Riker, LaForge etc.?

Jean-Luc is now supposed to be an ambassador during this time, data as the new captain of the enterprise, and where is Riker and the Titan?!

So why havent we run into them/had missions story plots with any of the Next Generation crew that we know and love so much?

I know that all star wars fans play this game, but I'm sure as this time line is closer to the next generation the majority of players have a major interest in those characters as well.

FYI - for those of you about to say DATA IS DEAD! or Jean-Luc is still the captain of enterprise! I suggest reading the comic series released for the latest movie which advances the characters stories. And before you say "well thats probably not canon" STO online itself addresses data being the new captain of the enterprise in its loading screen facts and hints.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-12-2011, 08:52 PM
to answer your question, it might possibly be costs associated with including these characters in the game
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-12-2011, 08:53 PM
theres alot of other generation characters that could be brought to play from the enterprise crew and various antagonists I personally would like to see Tomalak take over the romulan star empire now that Selas gone missing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielaughing
theres alot of other generation characters that could be brought to play from the enterprise crew and various antagonists I personally would like to see Tomalak take over the romulan star empire now that Selas gone missing.
its been awhile since weve seen tomalak. he may have been tomahawked
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibrizzo View Post
its been awhile since weve seen tomalak. he may have been tomahawked
True he might have been could also be because the actor who played him is dead too.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-12-2011, 08:59 PM
As has been said many times on this forum, Cryptic needs to get permission to use the likeness of actors in the game. That permission often comes with a fee paid to said actor associated with it. Dstahl once made a joke on the forum that he was going to put a, IIRC, $125,000 C-Store item up for sale if someone wanted to buy the rights to use Brent Spiner. I think you can get the idea of why most of the Next Gen era characters are not in the game. Worf is in the game, BTW, on the Klingon side.

Also, your timeline information is a bit off. Picard is retired. He was the Ambassador to Vulcan but retired in France many years ago. You can also read about what Geordi and the rest have been up to over the 30 years since Nemesis in the Timeline on the forum.

Spock is in the game because Cryptic paid for him to be in the game. McCoy and Scotty were in the game, well, because Kelley and Doohan have both passed away and it was easy for Cryptic to get access to their image rights.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-12-2011, 09:02 PM
I would love to see some of my heroes form TNG in this game.
The time travel stuff around TOS was nice, the guardian mission, the devidian stuff where great, but with TNG i fell in love with Star Trek. So please could we see more references to TNG like a time travel visit to the Ent - D.
I am not a big Voyager fan but it would be nice to know what happend to this ship or the Defiant or even the Titan.

Thank you for reading.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
I would love to see some of my heroes form TNG in this game.
The time travel stuff around TOS was nice, the guardian mission, the devidian stuff where great, but with TNG i fell in love with Star Trek. So please could we see more references to TNG like a time travel visit to the Ent - D.
I am not a big Voyager fan but it would be nice to know what happend to this ship or the Defiant or even the Titan.

Thank you for reading.
The original Defiant in DS9 was destroyed in the series. The second Defiant is still in use. Kurkland is flying it. IIRC the Voyager was retired and sent to the SF museum. The Titan is probably still in service under a new Captain.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
The original Defiant in DS9 was destroyed in the series. The second Defiant is still in use. Kurkland is flying it. IIRC the Voyager was retired and sent to the SF museum. The Titan is probably still in service under a new Captain.
Right i forgot about the Defiant -A, there even WAS a mission involving that ship.
I just hope that there will be not only TOS references in further Missions/ Weeklies. I mean ToS was great but there is so much more to see.

Thank you for reading.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
of actors in the game. That permission often comes with a fee paid to said actor associated with it. Dstahl once made a joke on the forum that he was going to put a, IIRC, $125,000 C-Store item up for sale if someone wanted to buy the rights to use Brent Spiner. I think you can get the idea of why most of the Next Gen era characters are not in the game. Worf is in the game, BTW, on the Klingon side.
Brent Spiner is a pretty hardcore trekkie himself, your telling me that they couldn't find someway to have his appearance? And I'm sure no character is more famous than Spock when it comes to Star Trek, and they have him heavily throughout the game in voice, and appears in a mission or two.

And you are correct about Jean-Luc, he is now retired on earth, but still a visit would be nice! Plus, its picard we are talking about! Have him come out of retirement for some major crisis in a featured episode or something.

And where is the enterprise in general? And the Titan? they should be floating around in game, and if riker isnt the captain anymore what is he doing?