Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Okay, before you shoot, listen to what I have to say.

The Borg used to be terror of Star Trek. Going up against them once almost meant certain doom. But unfortunately, my look through Foundry revealed the word "Borg" more times than not (and before anyone misunderstands: yes, I too am guilty of this). They have almost become cliché.

Now, it may be too late to save the Borg, but can we make sure the Undine, Iconians, Devidians, and the Tholians stay off limits to foundry authors? That'll still leave the Federation, Klingons et al, Romulans, Remans, Cardassians, Dominion, Terrain, Breen, and Borg as availiable factions for story creation.

I just think there needs to be a few species that the Devs need to keep to themselves so we don't get burned out on them. I'm starting to wonder if people will actually skip otherwise great Foundry content because it contains the word "Borg" in the description.

Okay, blindfold on... commence firing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Honestly, I feel the more enemies we have in the foundry the more variety we'll get. If you limit it to the enemies you just listed that's fine, but eventually they'll get overdone. By adding in the other enemies you'll get that little bit of variety and extra spice. Just my opinion though. Also keep in mind that people, like me, we'll be developing their own enemies for players to fight. The more enemies we have the less we'll see of a particular one, in this case the Borg.

By the way, aren't the Devidians already in the Foundry? I swear I saw them in there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
By the way, aren't the Devidians already in the Foundry? I swear I saw them in there.
They may be. The only reason I put them on the "do not add" list is if they had not been added. Even if that just leaves the Tholians, Undine, and Iconians as the only ones on the list. I just think the devs should keep a few to themselves. They have already created an interesting story involving the Iconians. Maybe they could keep it locked down.

Using the available species, there are more than enough story ideas available to Foundry authors.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
They may be. The only reason I put them on the "do not add" list is if they had not been added. Even if that just leaves the Tholians, Undine, and Iconians as the only ones on the list. I just think the devs should keep a few to themselves. They have already created an interesting story involving the Iconians. Maybe they could keep it locked down.

Using the available species, there are more than enough story ideas available to Foundry authors.
I understand where you are coming from. I can understand why the Tholians and Iconians should be kept away from the Foundry. First of all the Iconian story line isn't over yet, and we haven't even gotten a Tholian story so I wouldn't want them on the Foundry before that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Perhaps the devs should add a Kill 5,000 ground Borg accolade. By the time Foundry is up and running, it'll be easy to do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Keep that blindfold on... The reloading mechanism on this gun is sketchy at best. Alright, ready?


*BANG* No *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

I understand wanting to preserve the core of each enemy and making them unique but I have to agree with Attilio here. More options are more better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
They may be. The only reason I put them on the "do not add" list is if they had not been added. Even if that just leaves the Tholians, Undine, and Iconians as the only ones on the list. I just think the devs should keep a few to themselves. They have already created an interesting story involving the Iconians. Maybe they could keep it locked down.

Using the available species, there are more than enough story ideas available to Foundry authors.
Undine are in the Foundry as well. The other two don't exist yet, so...

I mean, if you ask me, it's better to have more variety, and the aliens you're asking to exclude are all the ones that have unique/interesting non-humanoid forms, which really hurts that.

I understand why you're asking for this - I'm unlikely to play a mission that features the Borg because I'm sick of them. I just don't think cutting out potential assets is the way to remedy it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Eh, it's the Foundry. 99% of is guaranteed to be horrible trash, so let them play with whatever they want.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terral
Undine are in the Foundry as well. The other two don't exist yet, so...

I mean, if you ask me, it's better to have more variety, and the aliens you're asking to exclude are all the ones that have unique/interesting non-humanoid forms, which really hurts that.

I understand why you're asking for this - I'm unlikely to play a mission that features the Borg because I'm sick of them. I just don't think cutting out potential assets is the way to remedy it.
I'm just talkling about limiting three of the dozen of factions. I want to give authors the benefit of the doubt that they will have good stories. But by Christmas the Borg will have invaded every system in the quadrant and invaded Vulcan 18 times.

The Iconians and Undine are central to STO's overarching story. I don't want people to get burned out on the Undine before that story is completed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Seeing as we can fight Borg at any level in Ker'rat they are probably beyond saving like u said. That said i hope that there will be some good borg missions. I do agree however that species like the Iconians should only be available in Foundry after the Iconian arc is over (so a long time) and is level locked for Fleet Admirals (as that is probably going to be the rank we experience them at)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM.