Lt. Commander
I was thinking about this a lot. When you buy a Dreadnought or a Defiant or an Intrepid with ablative armor you should have that special ability (cloaking or ablative armor) as something like a console that can be placed on another ship.

In TNG we saw episodes where cloaking devices were fitted on Federation ships. And Voyager's ablative armor was fitted on a shuttle and then expanded onto the Intrepid.

I think these special abilities should be like consoles with an index listing for each of the ship variants. So you could take your ablative armor, put it on your ship and it would run for an amount of time consistent with the size of the ship. The larger the ship, the shorter the amount of time it would run. And the same could be true of cloaking devices.

The cloaking device was particularly of interest for me because we should ALL be able to buy consumable cloaking devices. You get this special ship device and use it for a specific amount of time and then you have to either get another one from space combat (Romulans, Remans and Klingons) or you have to buy a new one.

It occurred to me only after thinking about that idea that we already have consumable cloaking devices in this game - they're the holoship projectors at DS9. If, instead of projecting an image of another ship, it cloaked the ship, the result would be the same.

I would like for the VA slipstream drive to be a console item because, let's be real...at those low levels crossing sector space takes forever. If it were a consumable item, we could use it at any level.

We know this game needs a moneysink that is useful and not entirely tedious. This could be a fantastic way to expand the usefulness of all the ships and use up some of the Latinum and EC that's just lying around.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Devs have already said they are looking into exactly this idea.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen666 View Post
Devs have already said they are looking into exactly this idea.
Oh, good. It shouldn't have been too far fetched of an idea.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Armor for all ships? Yeah absolutely not happening anytime soon.

The community had to really yell and crawl and climb down Cryptic's throat to get 3D armor for only the Intrepid and its variants alone.
Because it was really going to be nothing else than a flat texture.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post

The community had to really yell and crawl and climb down Cryptic's throat to get 3D armor for only the Intrepid and its variants alone.
The armor is temporary, not permanent. And on the larger ships it wouldn't last very long...what's to be afraid of?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixboox View Post
The armor is temporary, not permanent. And on the larger ships it wouldn't last very long...what's to be afraid of?
Which is even less reason to have it for all ships.

The point which you are missing is that it is a huge drain on time and resources that can be far better spent elsewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-13-2011, 03:03 PM
I think the Hull Armour should be avaible for all ship classes. Like previsoly said it was used on the shuttle and transfered over. Y would Starfleet keep such an anti-borg defence equiped to just 1 ship?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Quote:

Quote:

The point which you are missing is that it is a huge drain on time and resources that can be far better spent elsewhere.

Fear not, I completely agree with you. I think it's a complete waste of time and resources. Besides, we should be happy we even got them on the ship to begin with. Hell, I was just happy to get a Tier 5 Vigilant, but since It came with cloak, I was even happier.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Quote:

Yeah, I don't think it would be that hard to create a different version of each of the ships wearing ablative armor. It probably was a generated script for the Intrepid and if you applied it to the other ships it would probably look very similar. It probably wouldn't take more than 20 minutes for someone to create the mapping textures...if it isn't automated already. I don't think its a matter of time allocation so much as it is just a matter of flipping a switch.

It would be great to have the ability to customize our ships fully. Until they give us universal slots on all the ships we'll need the DEVs to understand that we want more freedom in making our ships unique to our combat usage.