Lt. Commander
Over the past few months I have been finding myself becoming more and more annoyed with the amount of items appearing in the C-Store. Meanwhile, in-game our content and real game play has been limited to 4 - 5 episodic missions, every 2 months.

These episodic missions take about an hour to run through, so game play has been about 5 hours per month. Not nearly enough to justify $15.00 per month. With at least a 3 week interval between the episodic missions, the ratio of actual new game play to cost is even worse than $3.00 per hour.

Which brings me back to C-Store. Cryptic seems to believe that it will be able to get along with having both a subscription cost and selling everything under the sun on the C-Store.

So, the question I ask myself, and maybe someone here can anser it as well.....What is there for me to do in STO that would justify my forking over another $15.00?

* Vice Admiral....Check
* Maxed Out Ship Equipment.....Check
* Maxed out Character and Bridge Officer Equipment...Check
* Completed All Fleet Actions...Check
* Completed all NON_BROKEN STFs...Check
* Many of my fleet mates are already in other MMOs...Check

Not sure season Four will come fast enough or deliver the content that will keep me here. The only content that will keep me here or bring me back when Season Four is released:

1. Romulan Faction
2. Neutral Faction
3. Fleet Owned Stations
4. Open World PVP
5. Level Cap Increased
6. Whole New Quadrant to Explore
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
In all fairness, C-Store items are A LOT easier to develop then episodes or other content for the game. So much easier that very few devs work on them, not the entire team.

The time between the first 2 featured series was very short, about 2 weeks. The reason there was a long break between series 2 and 3 was due to the Season 3 release, ESD revamp, and the 1 year anniversary. The reason for the delay between series 3 and series 4 is due to the release of the Foundry on holodeck and Season 4.

You cannot say that Cryptic sells everything on the C-Store. The majority of ships that are available on the C-Store can be purchased in game with just a little bit of work. The rest of the items are primarily costumes which really don't give you anything to do in game.

The Romulan faction will probably not be released until the end of the year. Before a Romulan faction can be released the Klingons need to be brought up to par with the Federation. Season 4 is bringing a ground combat revamp, more Klingon content, the Duty Office system, and other features.

You will not be seeing a new faction, fleet owned stations, open PvP, or a whole new quadrant anytime soon. Out of that whole list of yours the first thing we'll probably see is a level cap increase followed by a Romulan faction.

To answer your question, only you can decide if its worth paying $15 a month of waiting for more content. Just understand that the devs aren't sitting on their hands and wasting time. They are developing new features and content for the game, but these things take time. You cannot expect a huge new update every week.

With that being said, I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2011, 06:09 PM
yes cause those who work on c-store items make content as well
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2011, 06:11 PM
is it just me or is there one of these threads made once every 2 weeks or so?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Give or take...
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Well, unlike many of those posts you are referring to, mine is the first of its nature authored by me. I've been a huge fan of STO since well before closed beta. I have been one of its staunchest defenders, you can easily look at my posting history.

I'm moreso than anything, concerned, that I just can not bring myself to log in and grind any of the old content anymore. As I said, many of us in my fleet are playing other MMOs now, far more than STO.

Fixing the STFs would go a long way!
Adding the Poker Mini-game, to be played on our ships would lock me in for 6 months!
Adding more diplomacy missions and levels would also go as long way.
Klingon content would also be great, but I have already maxed out one Klingon toon as well.

What would be a good idea for Cryptic is to issue a monthly bonus of Atari points for continuing to subscribe after the 400 day accolade has been achieved. This would give us something to "gain" by staying subbed, while we wait for new content. It also costs Cryptic nothing to give those points away.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-13-2011, 07:00 PM
It wouldn't hurt for Cryptic to release a ship, a costume, a race or whatever, for free once in a while -- as opposed to never
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
One thing that bothers me is how this must appear to somebody just starting the game. I think this is a huge hurtle for Cryptic to get over, because to get new players, they need to instill in those players a sense of confidence about the company, but the C-Store just looks greedy. I'm not about to get into arguments about whether or not it is, but the appearance is everything, and it could shun new players who see the C-Store and then see the lack of content.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
It wouldn't hurt for Cryptic to release a ship, a costume, a race or whatever, for free once in a while -- as opposed to never
Yeah! Like what they did last month!
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Yeah! Like what they did last month!
And which ship would that be?

It's so bad that they want to charge you for a uniform already in the game with the zipper slightly undone. I can't see how even the fanclub could defend that move