Lt. Commander
# 21
03-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Again, we're talking about the company that charges for a slightly unzipped version of a uniform you already have.

You don't seem to like that point

And while I wouldn't go as far as calling a shuttle a full fledged ship, you're absolutely right that it was free. Obviously we disagree on the motives, but really, again, we're talking about the company that charges for a slightly unzipped version of a uniform you already have. Given that previous sentence I don't think our default assumption can be anything other than the shuttles being a fluke that was needed to fulfill requirements on a featured ep.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodveard View Post
Yes this is true, in-game currency.....Emblems....oh wait.....the only way you earn them is to grind the same missions hundreds of times and over many months because of the 24 hour cool downs....JOY!!
Yes, it's boring until content changes but the issue you describe is endemic to most MMOs (grinding instances, raids, PvP, or dailies in WoW for sweet loot).

It takes me considerably longer to grind for the latest tier of purples in WoW and I'm left in the same dilemma as STO. The big difference is that I had to shell out money on top of a sub to get the content to grind to an unfulfilling endgame and a good portion of the instances I spent money on are older ones brought back.

Maybe I'm just a disenfranchised player in several MMOs and that's where my perspective differs. Heck, I'm even enjoying SWG again (and despite the NGE, the game still plays better than most MMOs).

Quote:
This is something Cryptic needs to consider. They could institute a new incentive for 400+ day subscribers. Every month after 400 days, we could earn 200 Atari Points. That would still take 10 months to buy a new ship, but more importantly, it would give us soemthing to work towards whilce we wait for the next season.
I'm confused grinding for endgame loot is less work than simply having a c-store unlock after 10 months play?

I think it's a worthwhile request (don't get me wrong) but it seems like the genre convention of grinding for gear over the course of the month is missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Again, we're talking about the company that charges for a slightly unzipped version of a uniform you already have.

You don't seem to like that point
I don't think you liked it either when I mentioned over a half-dozen ships were added for in-game currency last month either.

Granted, it makes the grind for gear cheapened when you can simply shell out money for the in-game variant.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
That idea of 200 A-Tokens for 400 day vets is stupid and totally unfair to everyone else. It would bring forth elitist crap as well that will bring this community apart in such a negative angle.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
That idea of 200 A-Tokens for 400 day vets is stupid and totally unfair to everyone else. It would bring forth elitist crap as well that will bring this community apart in such a negative angle.
How?

I'm not connecting the dots on my lite-brite for this.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
How?

I'm not connecting the dots on my lite-brite for this.
Uh lets see. Free Money to people who have been subbed for 400 days = ****ed off everyone else who hasn't been subbed that long.

Which would mean that because those people are getting top notch treatment a lot of people will discontinue their subs. Game fails.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
To be fair that's one way of looking at it, the other is a Cheaper way to buy all the Uniforms, with only a slight unzipping difference
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Uh lets see. Free Money to people who have been subbed for 400 days = ****ed off everyone else who hasn't been subbed that long.

Which would mean that because those people are getting top notch treatment a lot of people will discontinue their subs. Game fails.
But doesn't the Veteran Reward program give everyone something after a period of time and doesn't everyone eventually qualify on a long enough chart?

Again, I'm not connecting the dots.

Should the whole veteran program be removed if you're opposed to long-term subscribers getting anything?
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm not opposed of them getting anything.

Except for Real Money.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Quote:
I'm not opposed of them getting anything.

Except for Real Money.
But Atari tokens aren't real money - they're play money and there are ways of acquiring it without paying cash (i.e. refer-a-friend or certain boxes simply had c-store points included).
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I don't think you liked it either when I mentioned over a half-dozen ships were added for in-game currency last month either.

Granted, it makes the grind for gear cheapened when you can simply shell out money for the in-game variant.
Well, now you're beating around the bush -- instead of actually addressing my point you are deflecting.

Thing is, time is money, and I'd rather be at work for an extra hour to buy a couple C-store ships than grind for them for months -- every hour of which would be less fun than being at work, and would only unlock the ship on one character anyway. The ability to "buy the ships with in game currency" is really more of an illusion, set up from the get go so that it's never really a valid option.

And of course, lets not forget that long, long since broken promise that C-Store items would be merely cosmetic without imparting a game play advantage. That slippery slope has long since slid :p