Lt. Commander
Okay I know this is a MMORPG and we have casual players and no one wants to fly for 4 hrs to get too their destination - Yeah I have heard it all before....

But seriously - Could we get a bigger Universe?

I don't need to do things to peoples Cheerios here, but the Galaxy is 'lacking'. In short, we have minimal 'sectors' to explore and even then, I cannot do full surveys of planets, let alone go back to what I just explored. I can handle the not going back to planets (i.e. I can justify Starfleet does not have anything they need me to do), but it 'feels' like every 30 secs in a 'unknown space' I keep running into a border or such (Which don't even get me started on Satrfleet traffic control in the middle of BFE and the logic that so does not present).

So instead of just griping about this, here are some of my suggestions:
- Allow the galaxy map to exist as is, but expand the 'systems' to their own maps for multiple explorable planets, missions , etc. in that instance.
- For exploration zones, allow us to 'go deeper' into the exploration zone - Basically randomize the 'difficulty' to allow for an unknown 'feel' and disable the Insta jump to ESD once you go so far. Might get an easy to conquer... err explore zone and might end up with a race that make the Q look like wusses...
- Expand the size of exploration zones by 9 fold (3x3) to give a bigger and better feel.

Just my 2 bars o' Lathium.

Blak
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2011, 11:13 PM
The galaxy map is being redone if I recall dstahl's comment correctly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2011, 11:14 PM
The existing galaxy we have is just a small part of the overall Trek galaxy and despite it ostensibly representing "months" (if not longer) of travel, individual episodes and films frequently covered a much larger distance than we have available now.

So I don't think we need longer distances, per se, just more galaxy. (I wouldn't mind visually longer distances and increased speed if it didn't drastically affect travel times.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Right now I'm doing an exploration content propsal and grabbed the latest galaxy map by NASA and the Federation is really tiny (like 1%) and there is tons of possibilities with expansions.

This is why I'm hoping they are considering opening up space itself than have us do repetitive content in these exploration clusters.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The galaxy map is being redone if I recall dstahl's comment correctly.
I believe when they talk about that, they're talking about making the map that comes up when you hit "m" better looking and less pixel-y.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I believe when they talk about that, they're talking about making the map that comes up when you hit "m" better looking and less pixel-y.
I also thought it was to improve it so that you could zoom into sectors and be able to find systems in other sectors more easily (i.e. more software based and less image based).
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
what is really needed is an equal space for kdf as the feds have, we dont need to go into fed space apart from battles and q's as the bttle front should be roaming borders but the exception of getting into ds9 zone and romulan space the kdf should stay out and in turn the kdf should get the gorn hedgeway and a sector or 2 for orions nausicaans and letheans.

but ontop of this what would make this better is if cryptic could get there hands on some servers that can run insanly big maps compared to what we run now as a standard. have static planets that are part of the game world that we as fleets and random solo people can set up colonys and homes on the ground. i mean immense spaces with 1 zone, have capital colonial citys an that and random spawning roaming mobs and also specific areas of outlawed to your factions npcs setting up camp trying to mess with your planets.

if you ever played swg pre cu u know what im on about. an there servers were like calculaters compared to what this game is suppossed to be run on.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Well would like to see somethign like Sector Sector, Vulcan Parsec, and have like 50 systems to explore (including Vulcan).

Some would be "no missiosn available" or general "patrol for pirates" missions, when others could be like a comets or gravitional shift et al. Some might be "Off limits" due ot the Prime Directive, which allows for the player to decide if they want to violate the PD for some reason (and allow an alignment system of sorts).

Blak
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I also thought it was to improve it so that you could zoom into sectors and be able to find systems in other sectors more easily (i.e. more software based and less image based).
Thats exactly what Cryptic needs to do, if we are going to actually explore the Galaxy.

The Galaxy map would have to be seperated something like:
  • Galaxy Map
  • Quadrant Map
  • Major Sector
  • Sector
  • Sub-Sector

Then of course going down to System and Planetary Maps.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-13-2011, 11:50 PM
I've always felt we have been confined to less than a quarter of a quadrant and feels like "where everyone has gone before"