Lt. Commander
# 11
03-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavrykDH View Post
I've always felt we have been confined to less than a quarter of a quadrant and feels like "where everyone has gone before"
Thank you! Someoen basically summed up my argument in a sentence.

Blak
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-13-2011, 10:58 PM
What would be the ideal situation would be a "Spore" type of map where you can zoom all the way down to the planet and then all the way back out to the galaxy.

If they could eventually expand the galaxy out that way too, that'd be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-14-2011, 09:35 AM
I have serious issues with how big the galaxy feels. It was the FIRST thing a friend asked me about STO when I was talking about it "Does space feel big?" - they asked because that was their concern after looking at screenshots of the game. I had to say (sadly) no.

The sector space visualisation revamp has helped hugely. But.... even with the limitations of current tech (as in, without increasing map sizes or removing the transitions) I more could be done that would be a big win.

Firstly:

I think - even with the current sector block size limit - if the sectors blocks were all 2 x 2 sectors in size (as in, large square blocks - all in a grid, ala ye olde ASCII space maps on dialup BBS MUD's) that would really help. If it was actually a just grid it would work much better IMO both conceptually (a simpler premise) and from a gameplay perspective.

I know having having grid layouts for zones is generally counter to immersion in games because it can make things more obviously boxy - and I'm guessing that's why they chose to break them up for STO - but when it comes to space maps I think it's actually very intuitive and actually a better user experience.

Secondly:

Auto-warping when you cross over a boundary. At least it would be nice for you ship to auto-stop when you first approach a boundary (as happens when you auto-pilot to a destination).

Neither of these would require any changes to core engine tech and I think they would help quite a bit. If a more open map is far on the horizon (as something coming when the core engine can support it, whenever that might be) a better layout of sectors / sector blocks before then would be very welcome, and go a long way to improving the user experience.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FridayUK View Post
I have serious issues with how big the galaxy feels. It was the FIRST thing a friend asked me about STO when I was talking about it "Does space feel big?" - they asked because that was their concern after looking at screenshots of the game. I had to say (sadly) no.
This was also somethign that made me post on this. I have a friedn that is a big tiem Star Trek nut. I mean BIG TIME. However, he really doesn't want to sink tiem into the game if:

1. You can basically explore everywhere within a week of solid play.
2. You feel like you are stuck in a shoebox for the Universe.

The Spore concept someone mentioned sounded cool. Basicaly even if Cryptic used their "Creative Instinct" to randomly seed a few planets here and there and give them some randomly seeded names (similar to how the game engine comes up with new and exciting new names for the exploration sectors) and hardcodes them to the map. Least it would give everyone a 'feel' for the size of the unvierse. If you sat on the 'galaxy view' and then wanted to zip all over, you still could do that, but if I wanted to take 10 hours to get to some other sector as I weave thru the various systems - well hell that would rock!

Another option too is Sins of a Solar Empire type feel where you can jump in and out.

Blak