Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Is there any chance that you guys will let players create pvp maps and mission similar to that of the currently slated to be nuked map Kerrat?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-14-2011, 01:02 PM
considering its been a year and we basically only gained one pvp map then lost one (what the heck ever happened to that space assault map?) something tells me that pvp maps are much harder to do then it would seem.

it would be great if they would let us make pvp maps, even if they are just used in personal challenge matches and not the official ones but what ever the reason for the lack of official maps means im not going to hold my breath.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-14-2011, 01:31 PM
It has been stated that this is a long term goal. But how long is that term? I know it's longer than I'd like, otherwise it would be in now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-14-2011, 01:36 PM
I believe the reason given was PvP maps are a little harder to ensure fairness. You have to create a symmetrical map for both sides. By allowing PvP maps to be created in Foundry, you run the risk of map builders putting respawn points in obvious choke points that would give one team an advantage over the other.

It is something they want to look into however. So, never say never. But probably not anytime soon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorko1 View Post
Is there any chance that you guys will let players create pvp maps and mission similar to that of the currently slated to be nuked map Kerrat?
It's on the roadmap.

The big challenge is preventing abuse for ground maps (i.e. I put a corral around the KDF spawn with feds having boxes to jump on to snipe at them).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
The problem I see here is spreading people out over too many maps. If there are suddenly 100 new PvP maps, how long will it take to get enough people to have a match on the specific one you want?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The problem I see here is spreading people out over too many maps. If there are suddenly 100 new PvP maps, how long will it take to get enough people to have a match on the specific one you want?
Easy: just force those maps into the public map queues after they get positively vetted by teams.


A big part of changing up the queue to be mode-based, rather than map-based, was so they could expand.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Easy: just force those maps into the public map queues after they get positively vetted by teams.


A big part of changing up the queue to be mode-based, rather than map-based, was so they could expand.
So people cant actually choose what map they want to PvP on? Meaning a person might have to wait *however long* only to find themselves on a map they dont like?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
03-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
So people cant actually choose what map they want to PvP on? Meaning a person might have to wait *however long* only to find themselves on a map they dont like?
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of what they hinted at for the KDF forces during production. They were talking about pvp maps where you would have pve missions to complete. I always had this vast idea of fighting on a warzone with other players, and still having to make sure that everyone on such and such base are safe or something like that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
So people cant actually choose what map they want to PvP on? Meaning a person might have to wait *however long* only to find themselves on a map they dont like?
Either you want more PvP content or you don't.

The current system is all I'm describing: it was changed to mode-based because the "I only play the map I like" mode prior to season 2.x was terrible and led to just C&H or just Cracked Planetoid being the only maps that popped.

Now that we have a map rotation, like the majority of multiplayer games out there (like every FPS), things are looking up.

The redesign of the PvP queue that I begged and begged for back in Spring last year was so that new maps could be added without making a longer list.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:20 AM.