Lt. Commander
# 1 Old styles with new looks
03-14-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm still on about wanting a new Miranda style starship (not the Shi'kar, ugly thing)

Many other people seem to be on about wanting old ships in game, so why not the old lines of ships with new looks?

The Miranda II and Excelsior II from Fleet Operations, a mod for Armada 2, look awesome. I'm sure the more simplistic graphics from even a mod of A2 can be brought up to STO par with some new meshes using the basic idea.

The Miranda II:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet Operations
The Federation Mixed-Tech unit is buildable after capturing Dominion Technology and thus the vessel has Dominion-style elements. Since it was built with Dominion technology, it will not be buildable outside of mixed technology. The Miranda-II is what the Miranda once was - a powerful heavy cruiser. Her "Backbone" passive ability reduces damage taken from sources with a lower offensive value then her defensive value, that leads to a very durable vessel if fighting destroyer fleets. If damage reduction seems to be not enough for turning the tides the Miranda-II may still engage her "Blockade Breaker" special ability, greatly increasing the rate of fire of her heavy Quantum Pulse weapons! A powerful asset for every Federation fleet! Keep in mind that although the Miranda II shares the same name as her predecessor, she is a wholly new class built on a brand new chassis.
Also from here comes an idea for a new weapon type, or console type, since they mentioned new ones along the lines of the MVAM console.

The Quantum Pulse Weapon:
Quote:
The Quantum Pulse (or better called "Quantum Enhanced Photon Impulse Weapon") is one of the newer weapon systems that were developed by Starfleet in the early 25th century. Combining the effectiveness of both Quantum Torpedos and Pulse Phasers it became one of the most powerful weapon systems in the Star Fleet arsenal. While they perform far better than normal Phasers and do not require a vessel to load ammunition like torpedoes, the energy spike required to charge a small EM bubble with energy is immense, limiting their effectiveness.
And the Excelsior II:
Quote:
The successor of the most common Starfleet class ever - the Excelsior class - is a light long range cruiser. It is a sister program to the Sovereign Class and one of the most advanced Starfleet Ships in the fleet. Like the Miranda II, the Excelsior II is a completely new chassis and is not a refitted Excelsior.
Cryptic should get with the Fleet Ops people and ask to use these, I like.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Good luck to you, pal. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Cryptic to take something from a fan-made mod for a game made by their competition, Activision.

...And what's wrong with the Shi'kar? I loved that thing as a starting ship. I still havent decomissioned it even though I've run out of ship slots at Vice Admiral!
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
Good luck to you, pal. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Cryptic to take something from a fan-made mod for a game made by their competition, Activision.

...And what's wrong with the Shi'kar? I loved that thing as a starting ship. I still havent decomissioned it even though I've run out of ship slots at Vice Admiral!
I'm not fond of primary hulls with holes in them, nacelles just look odd too. Its an opinion thing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I'd love new skins for the Miranda and, especially, the Excelsior. What would make them better is if the skins were craftable unlocks.

I think the MVAM console opened a door for lots of cool concepts to creep into STO. Hopefully Cryptic will take advantage of that.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-15-2011, 01:54 AM
I would love to see a new cryptic based design for the excelsior.
I like the ship (BO layout / transwarp drive), but i hate how it looks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-15-2011, 04:43 AM
I like the Shi'kar, although I decommisioned it a long time ago (I have lots of screenshots ) I would like a newer looking excelsior though, along with a galaxy-X that uses newer parts.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-15-2011, 04:45 AM
For the Miranda II I'm thinking an all new, separate from the T1 class. Starfleet seems to be on a retro kick, so it would make sense for someone to want / design an all new ship chassis based on a classic ship. Just like cars seems to be on that retro kick now, old and new styling blended.

After all, T6 ships are coming, I can certainly hope an upscaled and modern Miranda is one of them
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohbier View Post
I would love to see a new cryptic based design for the excelsior.
I would like to see more Cryptic designed ships in general.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Cryptic has two design athsetics for their ships.

Star whal- I mean cruisers and the Excalibur type.

I would love to see the excelsior, miranda, galaxy, etc...... get the excalibur treatment.