03-15-2011, 12:40 PM
He's the Andorian Dennis Hopper.
those antenna don't come off
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
To some it is the Ground Combat. What about them?

Also, final warning on trying to make this a discussion of exploits. The thread *will* be shot down if that's what the outcome is intended to be.
To answer your question.....

I am sorry WishStone but it seems to me and I am saying this in jest but "the right hand does not seem to know what the left hand is doing". The reason I say that is the next big update is supposed to be ground or are you not up on current events? So for the people that like ground combat, I think that covers it, its all about them.

Now to be honest the strongest thing going for STO compared to SWTOR which will be coming out by the end of the year is space pvp. Without knowing what is this complete ground re-work of STO its hard for me to comment, but if it is not comparable to or lacking to what SWTOR has then you will lose lots of subs.

Now if you worked on the one strong point which is space pvp compared to what SWTOR has planned then I think you would lose a lot less subs. What STO currently has, the arena and Cap and hold are ok but in my opinion not awesome or making anyone stay because of them, neither has any real objective or for that matter a reason to win vs lose.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines and Cryptic Studios Infraction Policy ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagum View Post
I vote for Roach to be the PVP Poobah because his icon rocks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
He is close second to the Blue Dennis Hopper with Antenna
Thank you but no.
I would only waste the power given me on bloodwine, strange women and other simple pleasures.
Not to mention a never ending campaign to have bushy beards hair made availible for klingons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
He's the Andorian Dennis Hopper.
those antenna don't come off
Which is why you get my vote.
Big Dennis Hopper fan.
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Guys, please stay on-topic. If you wish to chatter off-topic, please do not do so in forum threads.

Dakma; the point I was trying to make is this:
Every player (PvE, PvP, RP) will always feel the strongest about THEIR enjoyment. You mentioned Space PvP as if this is what just about everyone on the forums is interested in. I offered that Ground PvP is also a part of PvP and as such should not be ignored.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-15-2011, 01:08 PM
I can't get my game client to work for more than 10 minutes at a time,& if i can't figure out why, I'm going to play something else. but i've addressed that problem in a different thread.
But even if that wasn't a problem, there is no way I would try to represent you clowns.
even if more than 1 person wanted me to.
Just imagine the heartburn.
I vote for almost anyone else.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Guys, please stay on-topic. If you wish to chatter off-topic, please do not do so in forum threads.

Dakma; the point I was trying to make is this:
Every player (PvE, PvP, RP) will always feel the strongest about THEIR enjoyment. You mentioned Space PvP as if this is what just about everyone on the forums is interested in. I offered that Ground PvP is also a part of PvP and as such should not be ignored.
Please correct me if I am wrong Dakma, but I think the point he is trying to make is that right now, STO is not known through the MMO community as a game with solid ground mechanics. It is, however, recognized as a game with an iconic IP and a unique PvP aspect. With SWTOR's upcoming release, there is always the threat of players jumping ship, as with all MMO releases. However, Dakma's point is that Space Combat in STO is the selling point. Whether it's PvP, PvE, STFs, what have you, Space Combat is the best representation of your game. There is an opinion floating around that SWTOR dropped the ball ontheir space combat. Next to EVE, and a handfull of other games that may or may not come out, STO is the Space Combat MMO.

This is not to discredit or dismiss any one play style over the other. Myself, I prefer the ground combat, and I hope that whatever changes are being made for the next big patch revitalize that combat, but even if ground combat became spectacular, there are 100s of other games out there that offer ground combat.

I resubbed to this game BECAUSE of the lack luster space combat in SWTOR and the lack of options out there, and it made me remember the fun I had with this game. However, I am begining to realize why I un-subbed in the first place. It wasn't content (or lack there of), it wasn't difficulty, or setting, or not enough costumes for my characters. It was bugs, and an apparent disconnect between the Developers and the Community. We understand that Cryptic only has so many resources to devote to a laundry list of tasks and issues cannot be solved over night, but when bugs and balance are (seemingly) ignored because a large portion of the development time is devoted to additional "content" only to find out that the content exaserbated the very issues that were left outstanding, it just gets frustrating. Now there are more issues, compounding issues, that may or may not be solved because of other planned development that bumps these issues down the ladder.

I guess the whole point of my post was that myself, and from what I read, many others, are just frustrated.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
But even if that wasn't a problem, there is no way I would try to represent you clowns.
Its the overly large rubber shoes, isn't it?
Come on you can admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun421 View Post
I guess the whole point of my post was that myself, and from what I read, many others, are just frustrated.
I would agree on the frustrations, though my reasoning may be more to the "conspiracy" than the fact of teh situations involved.
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
However, Dakma's point is that Space Combat in STO is the selling point.
I know Wishstone understood that part - it was obvious to really anyone reading it. But, in order to address PvP issues, you have to include the sphere of influence - which includes ground. It was perhaps implicit, but not stated directly, that this was probably intended for space only. Unfortunately, it just wasn't that specific.

I do agree with both sides, oddly enough (for and against inclusion of ground pvp). The issue was, however, mostly addressed in this thread as PvP vs PvE. That's why Wishstone, and others, have taken it that route. If you want it to be more specific, then perhaps it should be "Space PvP" instead of "PvP". It's a subset of a subset (i.e. more specific rather than more general).

Alternately, I would also posit the notion that in order for one to consider the vocal minority of PvP Space Combat issues to be addressed, one should also include the even smaller minority of PvP Ground Combat. Otherwise, you're effectively saying "my issue is more important" (a point Wishstone was trying to make) than that of others.
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Please correct me if I am wrong Dakma, but I think the point he is trying to make is that right now, STO is not known through the MMO community as a game with solid ground mechanics. It is, however, recognized as a game with an iconic IP and a unique PvP aspect.
If this was the point, then I have failed to realize it and apologize.

And just for the sake of having said it: I love ground combat in the game. Then again, I'm more of a role player at heart and have a hard time identifying myself with a ship. I rather connect with my character and officers. (Yes, even in PvP.)
Lt. Commander
# 40
03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
As things currently stand, anybody with a modicum of common sense realises that "PvP" is largely synonymous with "Space PvP" in STO. As Kathy points out, if PvPers are a minority, then ground PvPers are a magnitude tinier minority. A matrioshka minority, if you like.

Hopefully that will change with Season 4, though. If the ground revamp is as awesome as we're led to believe, it might encourage more people to get into ground PvP - and if, as DStahl has hinted, we're allowed two subsets of skill points to distribute between ground and space (Pirates of the Burning Sea, a great PvP game, does the same thing successfully for its avatar and ship combat sections), then even better. Maybe some dyed-in-the-wool Space PvPers will even start to dabble in ground more.

Let's hope they nerf Tactical Officers in that case though; Space PvPers think the NPC spam they have to deal with is bad ... ;-)