Lt. Commander
After reading through the Keybinds guide at STOwiki, I was wondering what players use for a keyboard layout. The author mentioned the inefficiency of WASD layouts and I was wondering why/what alternatives are there? I want to start building some binds because I want to start moving into PVP more.

Does anybody care to post some of their personal layouts or have suggestions on how I should layout my keyboard?

Thanks everyone!
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-15-2011, 03:18 PM
WASD for ground, YHTK for space.
What is wrong with WASD anyway?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Main two changes I made were moving target exposed enemy to X and bound Ctrl+2 to have my Officers all attack my target, much more efficient in combat.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I use the B button for Officers to attack my target
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-16-2011, 02:14 AM
I use the NUM keypad. You gotta move your keyboard to the left if you can do that at home.
4, 5, 6 and 2 are the movement keys, 1 crouch and 3 jump. All surrounding keys are for abilities except for NUM lock, that's my autorun toggle. This way i don't have have to play piano on my keyboard, i never look down in order to hit the right key.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
WASD for ground, YHTK for space.
What is wrong with WASD anyway?
I'm not really sure what is wrong with WASD. The article only called it inefficient and I was curious as to what other options are out there. I've used WASD since my first mouse-look shooter. Before that it was arrow keys and left hand for fire, crouch, etc. (Ah DOOM and Dark Forces).

I suppose the one problem I could see is that it limits your available easily accessible keys for keybinds. Keys that are within easy reach of your movement keys without looking down. I can see problems arising when you want to use individual powers and have to stretch for an ALT or CTRL that is now farther away.

Looks like I have some experimenting to try
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sath View Post
I use the NUM keypad. You gotta move your keyboard to the left if you can do that at home.
4, 5, 6 and 2 are the movement keys, 1 crouch and 3 jump. All surrounding keys are for abilities except for NUM lock, that's my autorun toggle. This way i don't have have to play piano on my keyboard, i never look down in order to hit the right key.
I thought I was the only one! I use the arrow keys for direction/movement, lower keypad keys for main weapons/attacks, mid keypad for shield and upper can be hull or secondary powers. My Home-End key section is for profession-related powers. F keys are power distribution and subsystem-focused beams. The right side of main keyboard is targeting and the rest is whatever feels comfortable..where I can easily find it.