Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Please tell us what we're supposed to do with these assets, because if they are working as intended, then no one intended us to use them at all. If you didn't plan for us to use them as logic would dictate, then why include them at all? Please tell me what I can do with the warp in animation.
To me, this is a classic case of an IDE that is incrementally developed, over a lengthy period of time. This of course means that as the tool is developed some of the assets may be unusable because the tool-set doesn't expose to us the extra coding available to Cryptic's content-designers when they use the same asset.

Whether Cryptic intends to give us more programmatic access to the assets or plans to remake the assets so they'd be more useful to us in our limited tool-set, I do not know. The only thing we can do is point out our wants and needs and wait.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-09-2011, 09:42 AM
A simple check box added would work wonders. Loop On, or Loop Off.

I'd really like to use this warp-in animation for my mission.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Please don't take this as a nerdrage, but I'm at my wits ends here.

First,

it is very frustrating how you guys are naming a few things. Fail is not fail. Duration in an animation is not the duration of an animation. Wander distance is not the distance of a wander but the distance allowed away from the spawn point.

It would really, really help us if the devs could please name the functions according to what they actually do, or at the very least, please include an info popup that explains what a slider is intended to be used for, kind of like with the object descriptions.

Second,

As is stands, there are so many animations that serve no function at all, like the warp in. If you believe that it's functioning as intended, then none of us realize how it was intended to be used. Why? Because the looping makes no sense.

Why would I use a warp in animation if it loops? My ship or another ship warps in, and seconds later, the ship warps in again. It's not useful as an animation under any scenario.

Scenario A: Use it as an idle animation? No, it instantly reappears after it disappears. I can't use it.

Scenario B: Use it as a chat animation? No, it instantly reappears after it disappears. I can't use it.

Scenario C: Use it as a personal ship animation when interacting with an object? No, that makes no sense.

What else is left here?

This is not an isolated instance. There are a dozen object interactions in space that are entirely worthless becasue they loop. Except for 1 or 2 animations, most of the space ones just make no sense. The ONLY animations that have any use in space are the sensor sweep and the ship shock one. The rest are pointless and unusable.

It really does seem like someone was like, "Hey, we have these stock animations. Let's throw them into it and not pay attention to how they are meant to be used. Kind of like the fact that we have 8 Fed walls with different colored doors and not a single regular corridor wall. Someone threw in the candy with no idea of how authors might need to use different pieces together. It's like the left hand of the art (or whoever) team doesn't coordinate well with the right hand of the other team that is designing how we use these assets and animations, or vice versa.

This is extremely frustrating.

Can someone please tell us how we are supposed to use these animations?

What exactly can we do with the warp in animation?

The same question applies to most of the space animations like Q flash in or the ground beam in animations.

Please tell us what we're supposed to do with these assets, because if they are working as intended, then no one intended us to use them at all. If you didn't plan for us to use them as logic would dictate, then why include them at all? Please tell me what I can do with the warp in animation.

If the answer is nothing, then it reflects a serious lack of coordination between the functions and options.

*rant off.
Excellent rant.

I don't know why this thread has ground to a halt as it has. Honestly, this Warp In/Warp Out has ground one of the climaxes of my mission to a dead halt.

I believe this goes for many other authors. How many of you have tried to do a warp in of allied ships to tackle a seemingly imposing fleet in a sudden turning of the tables?

I'll continue the mission without the awesome warp effect, but it's really hit my enthusiasm to finish my work. I keep seeing this same sort of problem over and over again. I can't even make them warp out, because they keep warping out over and over again.

I can't even make them despawn!

Seriously, this is a huge problem.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zutty View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Its kind of disappointing that we cant make a ship warp in. I hate to agree with the above rant,but what exactly is the "Warp in" animation for?
There is actually a very limited use for the "Warp In" and "Warp Out" animations, which is to allow the player to transition between warp (as simulated using the star streaks FX) and impulse. However, I definitely agree with the overall point of kirkfat's rant that many of the animations are utterly useless.

It makes no sense to use them on the NPCs because they continually cycle. If we had control over the appear and disappear animation then things like "Warp In" would make a lot more sense, and "Warp Out" would also if we could actually hide NPC Contacts.

Another thing that sucks is with the ground animations, some will loop and some will not. Not being able to loop some of the animations makes them essentially worthless to use on NPCs since they just run one time and then stop. For example the medical tricorder animation runs one time, so if you have a doctor treating a patient you have to use the normal tricorder animation.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-28-2011, 05:25 AM
You can make a warp in if it's to help out with a enemy. Limits the animation to once. But if you want to stop the loop, mix it up with wander, chat, etc... and put the animation at the lowest weight. You may get a double Warp in sometimes but that's just that.

And Zerox, don't forget that we love you.

Valid point KF, But Now it's my turn...

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET PAKLED and RIGELIAN SHIPS?
AND I WANT A SPOCK BRAIN MONITOR? http://images.myspace.drewpydraws.co...ocks_brain.jpg :p
Ensign
# 16 NPC warp in/out
05-19-2013, 03:29 PM
I am working on the only solution i can find currently, and its a pain, but it seems to be working for the most part.

i make 3 ships, one warps in, then is set to disappear when the 'hi i just warped in' dialogue starts. it loops until i click continue, then it just sits there like its supposed to, then it says 'ok, im leaving now' and the still ship is set to dissapear, while the third ship warps away with a similar set to hidden trigger. its very stupid for so much chat boxing to make it work, and when i use the chat boxes, the FIRST chat box that gets strung to a 'make hidden' thing for the ship turns into some sort of trigger, requiring 'interact'... totally messing everything up. really frustrating.
Rihannsu
# 17
05-19-2013, 03:53 PM
That's an effective way to do it.... annoying and complex, but it works.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.