Lt. Commander
In the March 2011 Ask Cyptic this question was posted and answered.

18. herocreator - Q: You guys have mentioned a desire (in the future) for a territory control type thing. Anything you can tell us about what it might look like?

A: We were discussing ways that we might be able to start the ball rolling on this feature with the new Duty Officer Assignment missions coming in Season 4. Iíve always expected any sort of territory control to heavily involve FED vs. KDF and include both PVE and PVP elements.

I think there are a lot of PVP experience in the forums and could tell you fairly well what has worked well in other games and what has not, not saying that PVPer's will agree on a huge amount, but they love to talk about stuff that doesn't work.

I have many questions about this this mechanic that you wish to use and why would this would be heavily FED vs. KDF, if other factions are going to be added to the game?

The thought that open PVP/Territory control could possibly only involve 2 factions troubles me a lot, this model has been worked to death and doesn't lend itself to holding PVP subscriptions for long. Other games have tried a computer NPC faction for balance, they have failed horribly in this area.

So I have to ask what is your plans to stop the larger faction from dominating the smaller faction?

What is the plan to address when one faction has control and appears to be unbeatable? (always happens)

PVPers don't like a lot of PVE in their PVP (TOO MUCH NPC SPAM, anyone? ), PVEers don't like PVP in their PVE at ALL. If we are talking a PVE capture mechanic. a flag or a npc killed, most PVPers are used to this mechanic and would work with it, but if we are talking about some other type of PVE, you could be looking at a lot of trouble from both sides.

Could you go into more detail about how this would work?

Discussion Please, if this is in the planing stages this is when we as a group need to speak up to help in direction.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Iíve always expected any sort of territory control to heavily involve FED vs. KDF
scratches head.
Well, who the heck else WOULD it "heavily involve"?

& to answer your post, I have no idea.
I feel that the "open" zone would have to be instanced. there are just to many dang Feds playing.
Lt. Commander
# 3 One idea
03-15-2011, 07:19 PM
maybe you could have fleet-owned starbases, which could be used for 'territory control.'

If someone wanted to attack that starbase, they would have to schedule the attack in advance. This would give both sides a chance to gather their players.
My thought is that fleets could offer items/credits for unafiliated players to help them attack/defend, like hiring mercenaries.

don't know how large you could get an instance, or how well that would work.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-15-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm working on a TPvP Proposal, where Cryptic can use the empty space between Pi Canis and Psi Velorum space, and along the Gamma Orionis Borders. Which are still part of the Neutral Zones. Though not sure if they would want to redo Pi Canis and Eta Eri sectors to accomodate this.

But Khitomer would be a main stage for the Northern TPvP and Organia for the Southern one.

For PvE missions, players could conduct diplomacy missions for Federation or Raids for Klingons, where they can influence locals to join their side. And in some places you got a type of old-school dungeon where whoever wins PvP battles, gets the right to raid the dungeon.

This was the most fun type of PvP I ever experienced in MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
scratches head.

I feel that the "open" zone would have to be instanced. there are just to many dang Feds playing.
Or too many klinks hiding in karrat
Just playing bot.

-Crimson
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
As long as there are only KDF and Federation as factions, we'll probably have no real choice. Anything else doesn't make much sense, does it? And would we want to wait for the Romulans to become playable before we get Open PvP and Territory Control?

I hope that whatever Cryptic decides to do, they will have future factions in mind, and place any Territory Control areas close to the borders of the 3 factions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
As long as there are only KDF and Federation as factions, we'll probably have no real choice. Anything else doesn't make much sense, does it? And would we want to wait for the Romulans to become playable before we get Open PvP and Territory Control?

I hope that whatever Cryptic decides to do, they will have future factions in mind, and place any Territory Control areas close to the borders of the 3 factions.
I don't have a lot of MMO experience, but the few that i've played that do have territory control, have some major differences than STO. Firstly, giving whichever side controls the most territory some kind of bonus won't work in STO, because all you have to do to get that bonus is log out & log in your alt to receive it. in BGO for instance, you can only play 1 side. so other than some kind of loot drop, I don't know how you would make control of the territory really matter to the game.
Also, what about lag issues if the territory were uninstanced?
In BGO, having 200 players on the screen doesn't lag me out at all. in STO, the amount of spam that can be produced by just 10 ships sometimes makes PVP a slideshow for me, & I'm not the only one. could you imagine how much spam a fleet of 50 dedicated spamming ships could throw? or for that matter 20 carriers? how would that be fun? then there is the simple fact that there are WAY more Feds that Klingons. I cannot see how open PVP in STO could run without instanced zones.However, Just because I can't think of a way to make it work does not mean it's not possible to make it work, I'm just not sure how these obstacles could be overcome. any ideas?
That said, I would still play OPVP, even if there was no reason other than the PVP to go there, & if only 10 ships per side where in each instance.
The PVP in this game is truly awesome, & more of it could only help.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-16-2011, 06:12 AM
I really have not a big problem of instanced PvP zones for this. I mean, the instancing isn't exactly cool, but if it's the only way to ensure some semblance of balance, that's okay with me.

I suspect that no matter how many factions we add, the Federation will always be the largest. It just comes with the franchise that more people identify themself with Starfleet officers.

The real challenge is making a territory control system work within that context. How do you determine territorial advancemes of two factions if you have multiple instances of all maps, including the territory itself?

It might require a very abstract mechanism to make this work.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-16-2011, 06:49 AM
You'd be surprised how many of us would hop over to the Klink side if open PvP happened.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
scratches head.

Well just off the top of my head the Romulan Faction, the True Way/Dominion Faction, Possible Undine Faction, Whatever they are going to do with Tholianís, ETC. While I am not advocating an endless supply of factions more than two, to me seems to be a no brainer.

This IP has tons of possibilities; to just slip into the same old two faction open PVP/Territory control mold that has been done to death, is taking the easy way out. It has been proven in **** that the best balance mechanism is at least three player factions, a computer NPC Factions donít do the job as well as players, **** has proven this. I also believe that there should always be a computer/Dev controlled faction, IMO it should be the Borg.

More factions does create more balance issues and more work, but I think everyone can agree that there is always going to be balance issues. I am talking about what would be the best mechanic for good game play and something that would bring more players to the game. **** has shown that if they just do the mechanic right, that PVPers will stay for a long time with a game.