Lt. Commander
# 11
03-16-2011, 02:06 PM
I meantioned Faction chat in the past, because it would help coordinate maps like C&H, where you have populations greater than 1 group.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
I had garnered the feeling that STO not separating factions in chat was a welcomed feature.
Besides trash-talking and strategic eavesdropping, what other issues have there been?
The request is for private faction channels on top of the ones that exist already.

Cross-faction chat is all well and good, and to be honest I've seen more 'gg' than 'qq' when PVP-ing. But sometimes folk need to get organised privately.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Faction chat will make no difference in a private pvp match where you have members of different factions on the same team. make it a red team/ blue team chat, that will solve all problems. it will work in normal large C&H matches, & private mixed team matches.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
I thought local was instance specific. When I'm at ESD, for example, zone gives me chat from all instances - so I see everyone who is at ESD, but local gives me only the chat from my specific instance.
Correct, that is how it works most of the time but it would appear that in a PvP match, both Local and Zone are instance specific.

I am suggesting keeping Zone as it is, so that you can converse with the opposing team (which is a good thing - generally) but changing Local (within PvP matches only), so that Local can only be heard by people on the same side Red/Blue as you, irrespective of whether they are teamed or a different faction.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Quote:
I had garnered the feeling that STO not separating factions in chat was a welcomed feature.
Besides trash-talking and strategic eavesdropping, what other issues have there been?
I think others have already answered this but just to clarify:

Yes, STO not separating factions i.e. allowing everyone in the instance to hear Zone chat is a good thing, please do not change this.

However, it is sometimes necessary, for tactical planning to be able to address everyone on your side i.e. all "Red" players without "Blue" players being able to hear. If your side consists of more than 5 players or players from different factions (as can occur in a Cap n Hold or private PvP challenge), you cannot currently address them all at once without the enemy also hearing, making it hard to co-ordinate a tactical strike.

BTW, Good to see evidence that someone at Cryptic is reading the PvP forum, thanks WishStone.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Count me in as someone who would love to see "Red" and "Blue" chat channels in PvP matches.

Keep the Zone chat - it's nice to be able to communicate with the other side - but give us the option to communicate with all players on our "team" (that is, all other Red players if I'm Red, not just my own 5-man team).
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Simple solution, when you queue for PvP it puts everyone on your side in a special PvP team just like nearly every other MMO. This isn't a gameplay change, this is a technical change that needs to happen. I understand not wanting to make STO like every other MMO. That's fine. A Ford Mustang is not the same as a Jeep, they are as far apart from each other as, say, STO is from WoW. Yet they do both have 4 wheels. They both have an engine. They both have seat belts. STO should immerse me in the game, not have me fighting the UI at every turn. Grouping for pvp is broken. 8 loading screens to complete one mission is broken. Laggy UI is broken. Keeping things broken just to be different from other MMO's is not the way to go. The gameplay and "lore" should be what sets the game apart, not clunky mechanics.

Edit: When I say "simple solution" I realize that the programming side of implementing that is not "simple", but what I mean is that it's the most elegent, long term solution that takes care of several issues.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Quote:
In a 5v5 match, this isn't an issue since we can fore a single team on each side. The larger matches, however, do need a faction chat channel for the match to be able to coordinate all the teams on each side.

Just imagine how much of a pita it would be to coordinate the various groups if there was no raid or even zone chat in EQ. Hardly anyone would ever would do the raids unless they could pull it off with a single group.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Perhaps "faction" chat isn't the issue, but the two sides of a large pvp match could definitely use it. Things like "need help capping at astrogeology" are important to win a match, but are not good to say over the zone chat. In situations like FvF pvp, faction chat would do no good .
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Faction chat.... what about in Fed v Fed?

What we need are team channels that you auto-join. I for one wish that our chat system was more like wow/rift in that I don't need many tabs in order to set the default tab channel so that I don't have to constantly press the little channel button etc.

I wish the following commands would work (some do) and get rid of that channel selection button:

/s say
/z zone
/f fleet
/t team
/a armada For multiple fleets given the fleet size issue
/b battlegroup pvp channel for those on the same side in that battle, auto-joined
/h hail /whisper

heck we could use -> ;s ;t ;h ;a etc if we really want to keep / for keybind/client style commands.

I'm just sick of that damn chat button grgrgrg - my gripe is that there is no /1 /2 /3 /12 etc way to use chat that I am aware of.

help?