Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Considering this ability has a 3-minute cooldown, that leaves the other 85% of the fight for you to kill the ship. And the Intrepid is already gimped by loss of a console slot in exchange for this gimmick, just like the other T5 wonderboats, so 30 seconds of it is barely adequate to justify the ablity as it is. Just use the same tactic as works against RSP; fake alpha, break off the attack, and come back in 31 seconds to destroy them.
The comparison to RSP is pretty apt - the power is basically like getting a free RSP on a 3 minute cooldown.
I don't know exactly what the RSP cooldown is these days, but if it was 3 minutes, that means the ship has an extra Commander Engineering Power for a console. Fair and balanced? I don't know. Maybe not.
15 seconds of "freedom" can mean a lot in the game of power rotations.

I'd say reducing the amount of hull resistance to 85, 80 or even 75 % could be a fair way to balance the power. Then the cooldown might even be possible to be reduced somewhat. I would not really play around with shorter durations (that just makes the power too ineffective) or longer cooldowns (that makes the power too unreliable. If you need a ridiclious cooldown to justify a particular power's existence, the power is broken.)
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
In that 45s window the other team is probably going to switch away from you, and the next time you get heavily focused the ablative might be off cooldown again.
This isn't a problem with the ship; it's the benefit of playing against unorganized teams whose target callers can't keep track of cooldowns.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The comparison to RSP is pretty apt - the power is basically like getting a free RSP on a 3 minute cooldown.
RSP cooldown is two minutes, but it only lasts for 10 seconds at rank III; it's 6 and 8 seconds for I/II. A single opponent can wait that out on their own while continuing to harass the target, without even breaking off.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
I don't know if that's a fair comparison. For one, as a previous poster stated, there is a short period of time before the ablative armor activates. It can also be disabled with CPB I believe, which a lot of people have started running lately. That said, I wouldn't complain if ablative got reduced to 8 seconds.

I would really like it to be possible to keep ablatives up while out of combat indefinitely and the time limit to activate when you start taking damage.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
I don't know if that's a fair comparison. For one, as a previous poster stated, there is a short period of time before the ablative armor activates. It can also be disabled with CPB I believe, which a lot of people have started running lately. That said, I wouldn't complain if ablative got reduced to 8 seconds.
It's actually PSW. Besides that though, ablative has a number of advantages over RSP, mainly that it lasts longer and cannot be subnuc'd away.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepez
fixed that for ya rock
Well if a man has to hide behind his armor, then slap a dress on me and call me Rockette. :p

Seriously though, an Intrepid loses (or does not gain) a console for Ablative, meanwhile a Varanus loses a console for repair platforms.....
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Well if a man has to hide behind his armor, then slap a dress on me and call me Rockette. :p

Seriously though, an Intrepid loses (or does not gain) a console for Ablative, meanwhile a Varanus loses a console for repair platforms.....
Yeah... Reworking the shield and hull repair drones of this game would be a sensible endeavor as well. I can't remember the last time I've seen a Carrier launching repair (or siphon) drones either.

I actually think the D'Kyr has an interesting idea that might work better than the odd powers these drones have. Just use a "real" power, slightly modified perhaps, but still a power. Shield repair drones could have Transfer Shield Strength I as a power, Hull Repair Drones a Hazard Emitters like effect (maybe with different visuals). That means the drones spend more time doing nothing, but we know these powers can yield effective and meaningful repairs.

Constant slow repairs aren't really relevant, it's just somewhat better than innate shield and hull regeneration, which isn't exactly what most people can rely on right now.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
Ablative is seriously meh...

I have a sci Intrepid, and I can survive about anything without using Ablative at all. Seems to me whenever I try to activate Ablative it leaves me without shields for 2-4 seconds before the resistance kicks in, and this is more than enough time to get killed :p
Exactly. I never use my Armor because it seems to get me killed more than it doesn't. That's why I've been toying around with RSVs and DSSVs for the past few days. If I'm not using the Armor, I might as well get an extra Console (but I sorely miss the Ensign Sci).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
This..

I rarely use mine, only in C&Hs when I run solo into a full enemy capping ball flying from point to point.. Fire off all Tac buffs, evasive, TBR3, FBP2 and Ablative..

Does a ton of damage, but cant really kill anything by its own.
That's what I do; Charge in, FBP 3/TBR 1 them and let the cavalry come in behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
The issue is that with chained TSS/Haz you can make yourself very hard for 15seconds.
Must... resist... urge... to... say... "That's what she said"...
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
I wouldn't say so... I run RSP on my sci ships, not mainly because of the 6 second immortality, but for the 18k shield charge!

(and yes, if the attacker stops shooting at once, you may only get a 4k charge, but running TBR every now and then ensures there's always a lot of aggrod pets to charge me up... )
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Recon's for the win.

I like to murder people. Recons are made to murder people.

I think you see where this is going.

I actually Left my Intrepid R, because it just didn't murder people fast enough. A dead opponent is better than one you have to tank or heal someone else against.