Lt. Commander
I have looked and could not find anyone experiencing this problem:

I have been experiencing temporary game freezes on STO. When it occurs, it looks like a cascade of small blocks all across the screen. I wait a minute or two and then the monitor re-syncs and the game continues. This has happened during solo game play and in team play while in mission. This most recently occurred while playing the first part of Infected at the gate. It is very random.

I have tried changing from 60hz to 59hz, and now currently on 75hz. So far, both 59 and 60 have the same problem.

This only started happening when I upgraded (rebuilt) my computer:
eVGA FTW3 mainboard
i7 990x
12 GB Corsair Dominator
eVGA GTX 470 Superclock 1280 MB (driver: 266.58)
Dell 24 Inch monitor
Corsair 1000HX PSU
Cooler Master V8
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1 (all drivers updated)
*No overclocking

My old rig used a MSI GTX 260 Overclocked card, with 4 gig mem on the mainboard, and windows 7 Pro 32 Bit with no issues. My assumption is the GTX 470 is either faulty or the driver has an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Check the temperature on the card when this occurs. Something you can do to lower the temperatures without affecting gameplay too much is to limit your framerate to 30 or less. It will seem odd at first but most video productions are only 29-30 fps. You will quickly get used to it and hopefully cool down your hardware at the same time.

If this fixes your problem open your case up and clean it out with an air compressor. Wouldn't hurt to do this anyways. Pay special attention to the CPU and GPU fans and heat sinks. Make sure there's plenty of airflow in and out of your case moving past your hot parts.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. The rig is actually only a couple weeks old. Everything is new--so no dust that would require the cleaning.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Operator
Thanks for the reply. The rig is actually only a couple weeks old. Everything is new--so no dust that would require the cleaning.
And the problem is new on this rig? Pay special attention to airflow. Nowadays getting cooling "just right" is far more important than it was even a few years ago.