Lt. Commander
# 1 question
03-07-2011, 05:39 PM
is there a way to make objects that self destruct in space maps? i need to make a nebula self destruct when your ship gets too close. possible?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs5519 View Post
is there a way to make objects that self destruct in space maps? i need to make a nebula self destruct when your ship gets too close. possible?
You can make it disappear with a reach marker. Making this a convincing self-destruction might be challenging though. I can walk you through it at the sbugc chat room, if you like.

Put in a reach marker, and set the states of the nebula to go from visible to invisible once reach marker is hit. It will simply disappear though. There are other ways though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
sounds like part of it is do-able... i will try that. thank you.. i will let you know if i get anywhere

EDIT. figured out the triggers part.. but i have yet to figure out how to make it explosive and cause damage
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-08-2011, 10:15 AM
If you give more details of exactly what you want to do, maybe someone can map the design for you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-08-2011, 10:38 AM
I used ship 10 mines with a Q-flash-in as an idle animation - this was to simulate an explosion... by using multiple reach markers nested inside each other by decreasing distances you can layer triggered effects in time.

The mines will remain on the map and should be renamed as debris or something. The concept of nested reach markers as triggers can be used for many possible visual/game effects but gets bulky on your objective list if you have them listed as such...
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbones View Post
If you give more details of exactly what you want to do, maybe someone can map the design for you.
i am actually trying to do a navigation mission through a series of obstacles in space in order to reach an end point. the first part of it involves evading some unstable stationary nebulae in your path. if you pass too close to them they ignite. so far i got them to convert from the small blue nebula effect to a large red nebula using reach triggers. the part i have not figured out was how to make them flash ignite and do damage. ideally the after-effects also does extremely high damage

i have an even tougher one at the end, where you collect the gas and dump it into a clump at a choke point. you phaser it to intentionally ignite it into the a damaging nebula, thus blocking your pursuer from following you, possibly even disabling him severely. unfortunately this part is probably not doable, but i wanted to get a start on it and hope i can continue as the tools advance.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-08-2011, 02:07 PM
getting effects to damage your ship is not possible as far as I know... so you'll have to just use dialogue to "say it happened" or some such drivel... other than that I don't see any problems...
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Quote:
i am actually trying to do a navigation mission through a series of obstacles in space in order to reach an end point. the first part of it involves evading some unstable stationary nebulae in your path. if you pass too close to them they ignite. so far i got them to convert from the small blue nebula effect to a large red nebula using reach triggers. the part i have not figured out was how to make them flash ignite and do damage. ideally the after-effects also does extremely high damage
Absolutely stumped. Unless you used an npc group that spawns mines. I'm not sure if we have mines them selves in foundry, but if not why not? There are cooler effects to use than those though.

Quote:
i have an even tougher one at the end, where you collect the gas and dump it into a clump at a choke point. you phaser it to intentionally ignite it into the a damaging nebula, thus blocking your pursuer from following you, possibly even disabling him severely. unfortunately this part is probably not doable, but i wanted to get a start on it and hope i can continue as the tools advance.
You could definitely do most of this with triggers. Alot of work, but doable.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-09-2011, 10:02 PM
yea ideally i would have liked to have made some collaborating effort with someone, but kinda scrapped the idea when it didnt seem to jive well with anyone when i first suggested it.. got a lot of "copyright" blah blah. i have a million exploration story ideas floating in my head, but time constraints in conjunction with how complicated the effort would be for one man motivated me put it on the back burner. even though the need for the foundry limitations to disappear motivated me to say i should wait a while, i still felt i could get started at least. eh im still gonna try it would have been nice to collaborate with someone to bounce ideas off of and inspire each other. it could be cool
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-10-2011, 04:29 AM
Quote:
yea ideally i would have liked to have made some collaborating effort with someone, but kinda scrapped the idea when it didnt seem to jive well with anyone when i first suggested it.. got a lot of "copyright" blah blah. i have a million exploration story ideas floating in my head, but time constraints in conjunction with how complicated the effort would be for one man motivated me put it on the back burner. even though the need for the foundry limitations to disappear motivated me to say i should wait a while, i still felt i could get started at least. eh im still gonna try it would have been nice to collaborate with someone to bounce ideas off of and inspire each other. it could be cool
I'm always up for collaboration...
How can we start.