Lt. Commander
# 11
03-18-2011, 01:25 AM
Love subspace Radio, great music to play to keep it up SSR.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
The reason why we have background music while our DJ's are speaking is because a lot of them DJ from a bedroom or home where background noise is very easy to hear.
Your DJ's can't ask the people that they live with to quiet down for a few minutes while they're recording?

I'm sorry but the reason just doesn't matter. Background music that makes it difficult to understand the speaker and is annoying is still making it difficult to understand and is still annoying no matter what the reason.

I'm not going to listen to any show that presents mumbled voices that I can't understand and plays looping, annoying music for a solid hour. I'm sorry if you can't understand that.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-18-2011, 07:05 AM
You obviously haven't listened to SSR much. Most of the shows are done very well. The DJ's are very consistent about what they do and how they do it, and for the most part I have no trouble understanding them. Perhaps your equipment situation is different, I don't know. But I would say give them a little more chance than a single recorded interview.

As to that "people they live with" line, at least one of the DJ's is a parent, and no self-respecting parent will tell their toddler "Go away, I'm trying to record a radio show for a bunch of Trekkies."

If you don't want to listen to SSR, that's your choice, but I'd suggest doing it quietly.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
If you don't want to listen to SSR, that's your choice, but I'd suggest doing it quietly.
I was giving honest feedback about what I perceive to be the low quality of that show.

I've done so as calmly and respectfully as is possible in the English language, even going so far as to say, "I'm sorry", twice.

Despite what MrBlades did to DJ Mighty Mundane I actually did want to give Subspace Radio another chance and listen to it. However your rude remark that I should be quiet has reminded me why I don't listen to Subspace Radio.

Thank you for reminding me.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
I was giving honest feedback about what I perceive to be the low quality of that show.

I've done so as calmly and respectfully as is possible in the English language, even going so far as to say, "I'm sorry", twice.

Despite what MrBlades did to DJ Mighty Mundane I actually did want to give Subspace Radio another chance and listen to it. However your rude remark that I should be quiet has reminded me why I don't listen to Subspace Radio.

First of all, I don't represent SSR as anything more than a listener, so don't assume that my opinions are a representation of SSR.

Second, I wasn't telling you to be quiet. I was suggesting that you keep your feedback out of an announcement topic. "quietly" as in send them an email or fill out a survey. If you want to take it as a rude comment, go ahead, but that's not how it was intended.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSterling
Just wanted to send a "welcome" and "hello" to Blue_Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumikumi View Post
From the looks of it Blue_Fire has been around the forums for a while, just part of the French Community of STO.
Thanks for the welcome - much appreciated! And yes, I've been around here for a while but have recently undergone a Franco-to-Anglo transformation, taking over from Rekhan.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Fire
Thanks for the welcome - much appreciated! And yes, I've been around here for a while but have recently undergone a Franco-to-Anglo transformation, taking over from Rekhan.
Well Blue_Fire, glad to have you here with us.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Quote:
First of all, I don't represent SSR as anything more than a listener, so don't assume that my opinions are a representation of SSR.

Second, I wasn't telling you to be quiet. I was suggesting that you keep your feedback out of an announcement topic. "quietly" as in send them an email or fill out a survey. If you want to take it as a rude comment, go ahead, but that's not how it was intended.
U didn't tell me to keep my opinions out of the announcement thread so you must agree with me that their catch slogan as being "the voice of star trek online" is arrogant and pretentious. I'm still going to agree with falcon. If there are "dj's" that are parents then maybe they should not be the ones interviewing people maybe those types of publicity tasks should be done by those people who don't have to play background music and make it sound unprofessional and low quality
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Your DJ's can't ask the people that they live with to quiet down for a few minutes while they're recording?
Askray and others hit this point exactly. All of our DJ's broadcast from their homes. None of us have professional studios. The interviews we do is live. We choose to use the background music to have something going in the background to cover up odd noises. I worked in Terestrial radio for two years and our station did use music in the background. I hear it everyday I drive to work now.

As for telling people we live with to keep quiet you must live alone or something, don't know. I am married with kids. While my family knows I am on live things happen. Unintentional things. I can't afford a 1200 dollar mic with noise cancelling and a pop filter. Most of our DJ's use a headset mic of some sort. If we didn't use background music then there would be complaints of the static or the noises. Asking them to quiet down for a few minutes is very doable. But for an hour, something will happen. When I worked in radio there were noises as well, can anything be done about it? Not all the time. So there that part is.

Quote:

Way to bring up something that happened a year ago and under a totally different staff. It didn't matter then and it doesn't matter now. The dealing that happened between MrBlades and Mundane were between them, move on. We have. And I can honestly say we have a very good relationship with everyone at Trek Radio. We were able to move on and let it go, why can't you? Maybe it's because most of your posts seem to be negative in some fashion.

Quote:

This might be good advice. While I DO speak for the station, as I am the Station Manager, I repeat what Cuatela did with respect. Do it quietly so those that don't want to see negativity on here won't have to. If you don't want to listen you don't have to try and convince others not to.

So at this point why not be somewhat respectful and move on. You gave your opinion, multiple times and thank you. All you are doing is flaming at this point. And of course bumpin gthe thread for us. Thanks for the support.

Have a great day.

Now for what this post was really for:

Thank you Gozer for the awesome interview. You shed some light on quite a few things and I know I am excited to see where you take us next. Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:

I'm sorry but the reason just doesn't matter. Background music that makes it difficult to understand the speaker and is annoying is still making it difficult to understand and is still annoying no matter what the reason.

I'm not going to listen to any show that presents mumbled voices that I can't understand and plays looping, annoying music for a solid hour. I'm sorry if you can't understand that.
Quote:
You obviously haven't listened to SSR much. Most of the shows are done very well. The DJ's are very consistent about what they do and how they do it, and for the most part I have no trouble understanding them. Perhaps your equipment situation is different, I don't know. But I would say give them a little more chance than a single recorded interview.

As to that "people they live with" line, at least one of the DJ's is a parent, and no self-respecting parent will tell their toddler "Go away, I'm trying to record a radio show for a bunch of Trekkies."

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_officer_brooks View Post
U didn't tell me to keep my opinions out of the announcement thread so you must agree with me that their catch slogan as being "the voice of star trek online" is arrogant and pretentious. I'm still going to agree with falcon. If there are "dj's" that are parents then maybe they should not be the ones interviewing people maybe those types of publicity tasks whole be rain by those people who don't have to play background music and make it sound unprofessional and low quality
Okay hold on here, a few points then if anyone wants to continue this subject with me they can do so by emailing me directly or our station management e-mail as I'm not going to start this war debate back on a site that has nothing to do with us besides posting about an interview we did.

Cuatela is a listener and is defending our station. At no time does Cuatela say they are speaking on behalf of SSR. So as a listener, that was their opinion.

Now as for mine as a person that's been a listener since beta, and a staff member since Sept --

We do make every effort to make the broadcasts sound as clear as possible. Again, in a perfect world we'd have the hundreds of thousands of dollars to have totally non noisy working locations for all our DJ's to use. However, this isn't a perfect world so most have to do it from their home. Because this is a totally volunteer station, our staff is welcome to be on air from a reliable connection as long as their microphone is not complete and utter garbage.

BigMike took a lot of time to setup for this interview. He didn't come to me say hey I want Gozer on air tomorrow and it just happened. We spent quite a lot of time making sure the music levels wouldn't drown out anything, that he was as prepared as possible, and that the listener would be pleased in hearing it. I'm sorry that didn't happen in your case, and if you think he mumbled that's your opinion. It's not mine nor a lot of peoples but everyone is entitled to it.

As for if you will or will not listen to the station, that's your decision

As to you brooks, If you think we are unprofessional and low quality then don't listen. A lot of people feel differently, and as for the arrogant and pretentious part -- That's your feeling. I'm not going to try and change it.

Now, I'm done :p If anyone wants to complain about DJ's, or about our tag line and discuss it with our mgmt team you can email marketing@subspace-radio.net that goes to myself, ace (assistant station manager) and Jahner (station manager) and we'll be more than happy to go into more details.

As for the interview -- I think that's obvious how I feel about it hehe XD