Lt. Commander
# 11
03-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Maybe it because of the canon-registrys. But wouldnt it be possible to restrict them aswell as the forbidden shipnames?
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdfleet.com
Maybe it because of the canon-registrys. But wouldnt it be possible to restrict them aswell as the forbidden shipnames?
It would be a bit much to

a) exclude every single registry that was ever seen on a ship or on a viewscreen in 4 shows, not mentioning the risk of CBS remastering old stuff and adding new ones.
b) exclude new ones in case CBS wants to do something set after Nemesis.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
It would be a bit much to

a) exclude every single registry that was ever seen on a ship or on a viewscreen in 4 shows, not mentioning the risk of CBS remastering old stuff and adding new ones.
b) exclude new ones in case CBS wants to do something set after Nemesis.
There is a list of ships from the show on Memory Alpha. Shouldnt be too hard. We are talking about 20 - 30 ships here at most.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-20-2011, 11:32 AM
I made a thread about this a while ago; so I feel I should toss my two cents onto this one as well.

I dont see what the major melt down is about. Those registrys are not a seperate intelectual property, there wont be someone out there watching everything in the STO universe to make sure they are getting their pennies for registries used.

I am guessing in most instances they were nothing more than: "quick give me four numbers, between such and such." or "I like this person I will use their brithday as the registry."

CBS/Paramount/Cryptic/any other intelectual property owner can just lock out their registries if indeed someone other than CBS or Paramount owns them. Obviously lock out the major ones that everyone knows like the Enterprise Defiant and Voyager possibly going as far as to lock out the other major ships that get used over and over again like the Hood. Then BAM you have a very small list of reasonable exclusions and if somone picks a registry that was used for like three seconds in one episode no harm, cuz NO ONE player side really cares. The only ones who would care are the parties mentioned above, and I dont even know why. It is not like our ships are ever going to get movies made out of them, and even if they were we dont own anything in the game and cant claim intelectual property. So what really is the harm?

And if the argument is that there can be no likenesses of real people or things just point out that who would sue CBS/Paramount/Cryptic they are the ones who own those ships and their registries and like i said we own nothing in this game and have no grounds to sue them for using their own product, whether it be a long established number or one made in the recent months.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchase View Post
I made a thread about this a while ago; so I feel I should toss my two cents onto this one as well.

I dont see what the major melt down is about. Those registrys are not a seperate intelectual property, there wont be someone out there watching everything in the STO universe to make sure they are getting their pennies for registries used.

I am guessing in most instances they were nothing more than: "quick give me four numbers, between such and such." or "I like this person I will use their brithday as the registry."

CBS/Paramount/Cryptic/any other intelectual property owner can just lock out their registries if indeed someone other than CBS or Paramount owns them. Obviously lock out the major ones that everyone knows like the Enterprise Defiant and Voyager possibly going as far as to lock out the other major ships that get used over and over again like the Hood. Then BAM you have a very small list of reasonable exclusions and if somone picks a registry that was used for like three seconds in one episode no harm, cuz NO ONE player side really cares. The only ones who would care are the parties mentioned above, and I dont even know why. It is not like our ships are ever going to get movies made out of them, and even if they were we dont own anything in the game and cant claim intelectual property. So what really is the harm?

And if the argument is that there can be no likenesses of real people or things just point out that who would sue CBS/Paramount/Cryptic they are the ones who own those ships and their registries and like i said we own nothing in this game and have no grounds to sue them for using their own product, whether it be a long established number or one made in the recent months.
Well said sir!

I bought into this game with the Idea of fully customizable ship and roam the galaxy, explore new worlds but really all I got was limited on all areas

4 digit numbers would make my day but I'm just beating a dead horse.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
What we have now is the simplest way for them to protect themselves, so that's what they went with. Nobody at CBS has to go through and review or lock out certain numbers, we're just confined to a certain range. If that means we get the short end of the stick, well, we don't own Trek, so yeah.

When I saw the thread title, I thought you were asking for registries in Amarillo USAF or with a distinct red line. :/
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Hey, hey... not like this, fellows and fellowrinas. Bashing CBS is just as much a no-no as bashing ANYONE on the forums. Besides: They gave you STO along with us. Bashing them is illogical here.

*gets out the broom and sweeps a bit*
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
I agree with Wishy.

I don't think it is so much about restricting or worrying about players using existing registries (which is also a concern) but also using registries that that CBS could one day use in a future series or movie. They are leaving those numbers open for them to use.

Thank you to Wishy for pointing out to us that if it weren't for CBS and for Cryptic, we would have no Star Trek MMO to play in the first place....so let's not shoot the geese who are laying the golden eggs for us!
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley1701 View Post
Thank you to Wishy for pointing out to us that if it weren't for CBS and for Cryptic, we would have no Star Trek MMO to play in the first place....so let's not shoot the geese who are laying the golden eggs for us!

And CBS said no to the Enterprise J, and a few other things I wasn't happy about that I can't recall. Either way, IMO if it weren't for CBS the game would probably be a lot less trek in my eyes. I am SO glad CBS is involved and says no to things.

Rock on CBS!
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I ll understand the concerns of CBS with the registry number. But why arent the names for the proper ships even locked then?

I can name my Ship USS Akira, USS Hood, USS Crazyhorse, USS Stargazer, USS Miranda, USS Soyuz, USS Saratoga.

And the list goes on. So the logic, that the numbers are locked down due to show-issues is flawed.