Lt. Commander
# 21
03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley1701 View Post
I agree with Wishy.

I don't think it is so much about restricting or worrying about players using existing registries (which is also a concern) but also using registries that that CBS could one day use in a future series or movie. They are leaving those numbers open for them to use.
Eh.... No.

They would simply use the registry they wanted any way, regardless of what happens in the game. STO doesnt take place in the "Prime" timeline. Nor does it take place in the book's "Relaunch" time line, or in the JJ universe time line.

STO's is it's own unique bag. If they wanted to use a registry of one of our ships they'd just use it, and that would be that.

The restrictions to registries are likely resulting from a simple question asked very early on in development which was then given a quick "No, use this range" answer at the time. And then was never asked again.

That's all.

Personally, I think they should be more concerned about all the Captain Picards and the like running around in their U.S.S. Enterprizes.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdfleet.com
I ll understand the concerns of CBS with the registry number. But why arent the names for the proper ships even locked then?

I can name my Ship USS Akira, USS Hood, USS Crazyhorse, USS Stargazer, USS Miranda, USS Soyuz, USS Saratoga.
I was going to say something about them not being Iconic names, but then I noticed you mentioned the Saratoga and Stargazer

I think the Registry numbers should be lowered to at least 80000 if that is allowed. There are not a lot Canon ships in the 80000s
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
-doublepost delete-
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-21-2011, 05:25 PM
USS Prometheus and USS Dreadnought is also possible. Never tried USS Dauntless though.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
I ll understand the concerns of CBS with the registry number. But why arent the names for the proper ships even locked then?

I can name my Ship USS Akira, USS Hood, USS Crazyhorse, USS Stargazer, USS Miranda, USS Soyuz, USS Saratoga.

And the list goes on. So the logic, that the numbers are locked down due to show-issues is flawed.
Because the Hull numbers are tied to a specific ship. Its what makes it iconic.

Example

USS Enterprise NCC - 1701.

The Hull number is what identifies a specific vessel. Uss Alabama BB-60 is not the same vessel as uss Alabama ssbn (what ever its number is)

I seem to remember back after trek 2 that there was a lawsuit over this very subject. I heard that some was suing them over a cut of the profits from the movies. I'm not sure what part he had but he was claiming that even though the ship looked different she was still the same ship due to Hull number and name. Hence the reason the ship was blown up in trek 3 and reborn 1701-A in trek 4.

Now again I do not know if thatis true or if I am Mis remembering something . If some who knows better can confirm or deny it I would be appreciative.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley1701 View Post
Thank you to Wishy for pointing out to us that if it weren't for CBS and for Cryptic, we would have no Star Trek MMO to play in the first place.
Meh, while I'm not exactly going to go on a bash the company rage here, I will say that I believe a Star Trek MMO could have been developed just fine without either of those companies involved.

Paramount could have just had the new movie properties turned into a game. And there were other gaming companies that could have made the game (considering the number of threads that still crop up asking for Cryptic to use the Perpetual ship designs ... heh).

Like I said, I'm not really here to rant or bash a company. The game's pretty amazing right now.

But you know, a game could have still been made with other variables/companies involved.

Lt. Commander
# 27
03-24-2011, 11:44 PM
unfortunately not unless the devs wanted to get sued by CBS/Paramount. You can't just go out and sell a game using someone else's intellectual property without getting a license. And the license means they have to do whatever CBS/Paramount says.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Quote:

And the list goes on. So the logic, that the numbers are locked down due to show-issues is flawed.
exactly there is no reason to limit the registries. I mean we own nothing in this game, nothing can be claimed as intelectual property except maybe our character bios, unless we use stuff in them we dont own, like the words United Federation of Planets and Vulcans and Andorians, ect ect.

As for bashing any of the owning or parent companies; that was not my intent. I wont kiss the ground they walk on like they are gods but I was not insulting them.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGarrett View Post
You can go six digits, and use any number (except 0) in front of the registry.

Regards,
Rachel
I did not KNOW that...
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Well I guess it doesent happen anyway then. Bureaucracy works in strange and illogical ways.

Anyway it was worth a try though :p