Lt. Commander
# 41
03-21-2011, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazKid
I have the minimum recommended card, I down my graphics for pvp & have no problems unless there's a lot of warp plasma on the field.
wow i thought it was lame when people put down how much damg they have done in the sig but you win the lame ass award for the infraction sig. 6 infractions is nothing to brag about
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Quote:
I find it hilarious that a discussion on mine spam turns into "what can we do to the carriers" discussion. You guys really only have one playbook.
You seem to be mischaracterizing most people worried about spam.

The main worry regarding Carriers seems to be more: Okay, spam is bad, but Carriers per design create spam. How can we reconcile this without nerfing the Carrier to death or deleting it from the game?
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie223

If it is such a problem, limit the amount of mines any player can have out and up the damage. It's only two maps your talking about, Arena and Capture and Hold. I never see fedballs getting to critical mine mass in Kerrat.

Becuase most of the people for the most part treat kerrat as a PvE arena and like to faceroll the NPCs and get teh epic lootz. Kerrat is what happens when you meld PvE with PvP, most people only go there for the daily.
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
I guess I should post a couple as well. I say we spam this thread with screenshots to drive the point home

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3593/spam1p.jpg
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2315/spam2g.jpg
Added yours (and others) to the OP.

I'd like to invite others to post their own screenshots, I'll add them to the OP. The more proof of ridiculous spam we can get, the better we'll be against the naysayers :p
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-21-2011, 07:53 AM
http://img577.imageshack.us/f/ex1t.jpg/

A better example then the one I posted before. There was also more to the left and right of the screen shot.....I just couldn't zoom out enough.
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-21-2011, 07:56 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...3-13-04-52.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...3-13-04-01.jpg

Keep in mind there are alot of mines I couldn't actually squeeze into the shots.
There could have been even more mine spam, had I been running a dispersal pattern.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
I have, I used them to target hostile aircraft when i was An Air Defense Artilleryman in the Army.They filter out the noise. we didn't shoot off missiles at birds.
I would imagine in the future the filter mechanisms would be better, not worse.
Very true, I would expect better targeting technologies in a scifi setting.
The idea of TAB being just for targetable players only sounded good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
I lol'd at the thought of the Army launching a SAM at a pigeon.

(I'm an Air Force guy)
Depending on the pigeon, I would think. :p
After what they did to my car this weekend, a SAM or two seems fair.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
You seem to be mischaracterizing most people worried about spam.

The main worry regarding Carriers seems to be more: Okay, spam is bad, but Carriers per design create spam. How can we reconcile this without nerfing the Carrier to death or deleting it from the game?

Well if you ask me the ONLY ship in the game that should create spam are carriers. It is what they are supposed to be....a carrier. The mine spam from every ship and their brother combined with dispersal patterns is lame. The Scorpian fighter concept is completely stupid, especially as a Federation player launching little Remans out to do essentially what amounts to suicide missions? Look i'm not a Star Trek geek but isnt that somewhat "non federation" regarding the value they place on life?

Furthermore....some one riddle me this:

How in the world does a ship like the Defiant, slightly larger than a Ford Excursion, with a crew of 50 have the capacity to hold 4 big ass warship sized front cannons, a bazzilion mines in the back, oh and a launch deck for Scorpian fighters only slightly smaller than the Defiant itself? I dont want to call anyone working at Cryptic dumb but if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck it just might be a duck.

I would vote to either get rid of mines or completely revamp them and how they work. No more lame photonic fleet, no fleet support, and no lame scorpian fighters. Half the reason Scramble Sensors is so damn annoying is when its combined with all this junk. "Organized PvP" in this game is one giant Spam fest with chain Scramble sensors thrown in for extra funtimes. I don't understand how people find that to be enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorFury View Post
Well if you ask me the ONLY ship in the game that should create spam are carriers. It is what they are supposed to be....a carrier. The mine spam from every ship and their brother combined with dispersal patterns is lame. The Scorpian fighter concept is completely stupid, especially as a Federation player launching little Remans out to do essentially what amounts to suicide missions? Look i'm not a Star Trek geek but isnt that somewhat "non federation" regarding the value they place on life?

Furthermore....some one riddle me this:

How in the world does a ship like the Defiant, slightly larger than a Ford Excursion, with a crew of 50 have the capacity to hold 4 big ass warship sized front cannons, a bazzilion mines in the back, oh and a launch deck for Scorpian fighters only slightly smaller than the Defiant itself? I dont want to call anyone working at Cryptic dumb but if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck it just might be a duck.

I would vote to either get rid of mines or completely revamp them and how they work. No more lame photonic fleet, no fleet support, and no lame scorpian fighters. Half the reason Scramble Sensors is so damn annoying is when its combined with all this junk. "Organized PvP" in this game is one giant Spam fest with chain Scramble sensors thrown in for extra funtimes. I don't understand how people find that to be enjoyable.

Because STO has become "LuLz you can't do anything online but I can't kill you either".
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorFury View Post
I have to agree. I would like to see powers like Fleet Support and Photonic Fleet with alternatives as well, and really put only the Carrier in charge of spam-creation.

Regarding Mines - they don't belong into the franchise much more than the fighters. Mines were not used by most ships, the only situation we see any ship set up a minefield i the Defiant in a very specific scenario that was never repeated.

Technically, one solution I could see is that mine groups (and maybe also pet groups) become treated as a single entity that just happens to have a visual that looks like a group of objects. That turns 4-5 entities spamming your view into one entity. The different "lost" mines would just be different damage states.

Quote:
How in the world does a ship like the Defiant, slightly larger than a Ford Excursion, with a crew of 50 have the capacity to hold 4 big ass warship sized front cannons, a bazzilion mines in the back, oh and a launch deck for Scorpian fighters only slightly smaller than the Defiant itself?
Oh, that's easy, it is because
1) The Defiant is cool.
2) and more importantly ... oh, look a pony!